It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2008 4x4 front passenger side intermittent shimy?
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

My liberty has had a slight intermittent shimy/vibration/humming sound coming from the front passengers side tire/suspension. The shimmy has recently started getting worse/louder, it is still intermittent and does seem to get worse at highway speeds. I have jacked it up and tried the 3-9 and 12-6 shake tests on passenger and drivers side. The passenger seems like it is slightly loose, and I am thinking it is the wheel bearing. I don't wanna throw money at it, and I dont want to get hosed when I take it to the shop. The jeep has 86k miles, pretty new tires, and brakes. Any other ideas and ways I can diagnose would be a big help.

Post subject: Re: 2008 4x4 front passenger side intermittent shimy?
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:29 pm 
LOST Addict

I had similar symptoms a while back and it turned out to be the right hand CV and intermediate shaft. Here's my thread where I describe the symptoms and the eventual solution. You can see if it describes what you're noticing.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=76981

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:45 am 
LOST Newbie

So, I replaced the passenger wheel bearing and that cleared up most of my vibrations. Once that was better, it showed me the drivers side was going bad too, I just couldn't feel it over the vibrations from the passenger side. Now Im thinking the shocks need replacing and possibly a general front end bushing replacement. Now Im hearing a clanking sound whenever I hit a bump or go over a speed bump. The clank has a bounce to it kinda like a clankity clank clank.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:05 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

badazzelanore wrote:
So, I replaced the passenger wheel bearing and that cleared up most of my vibrations. Once that was better, it showed me the drivers side was going bad too, I just couldn't feel it over the vibrations from the passenger side. Now Im thinking the shocks need replacing and possibly a general front end bushing replacement. Now Im hearing a clanking sound whenever I hit a bump or go over a speed bump. The clank has a bounce to it kinda like a clankity clank clank.

IF REPLACING SHOCKS MAY AS WELL REPLACE SPRINGS BEFORE THEY START SAGGING