It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What year/options were the best?
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:43 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm looking at 2008-2012 Jeep Liberty's and I'm wondering what year was the best as far as performance and reliability. We're different transmissions offered depending on the year? Are there other changes that I should look out for? I didn't see anything in the FAQ or from Google-ing my question. Hoping you guys can shed some light on this for me.

Post subject: Re: What year/options were the best?
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:26 pm 
LOST Addict

There aren't many differences among the years, but here are some:
The 6-speed manual transmission was only offered in 08. The 4-speed auto is the same in all years.
The wheels with the two-tone treatment are from 08. After some point in 09 all wheels were silver only.
In 2011 they updated the interior with a better steering wheel with control buttons on it, active restraint headrests, and a few other minor details.
Also in 2011 they changed the electronics that run the engine. I am not aware that it changed anything the driver would notice, but if you want to add a Hypertech Tuner you can only do that with the 08-10 model years.
Other than those things, the Liberty was pretty much the same Jeep from 08-12. There were no exterior changes at all (except certain colors only offered in certain years). All KK's had the 3.7L V6 engine. Be sure to get a 4WD. Look for the package with fog lights because that includes the temperature and compass on the dash as well as cruise control and tinted rear windows.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

That's exactly what I was looking for. What's the general opinion of the 4-speed automatic? The car review mags tend to rag on it, but I haven't really heard any negative reviews first hand. Is it as bad as the reviews say it is? Or is it a non-issue? Anything else I should be looking out for? I'm looking at a 2012 Arctic Edition Liberty at the moment, which seems to have all the bells and whistles.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:40 pm 
LOST Addict

The 4 speed auto is old school. It's not fancy so the fuel economy of the Jeep is not so great as it is in these new Cherokees with the 9 speed, but it's been a reliable transmission in all of its simplicity. I can count on one hand on just a few fingers how many KK transmissions have died since I joined the forums in 2011. It is just not that common to hear of transmission problems with these Jeeps.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:53 pm 
LOST Addict

BTW, almost all of the professional reviewers had negative things to say about the KK Liberty. It's almost like they wanted it to drive like a BMW, get the mileage of a Prius, and tow like an F150. But if you listen to the actual owners, most of us are very happy with the KK. It has a quieter ride than the JK unlimited, more cargo space, and can be very capable on the trail with a 2.5 or 4 inch spring lift on it. The 4WD system is proven and the low range is fantastic off road. It's a beast in the snow. It can tow up to 5000 lbs. There is nothing else like it available to buy as a new vehicle anymore, so many of us plan to drive ours as long as we can. When people do upgrade from the Liberty, it's usually to a JK Wrangler or a full sized pickup.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:51 am 
LOST Addict

Lauren hit all the nails on the head.

As for the tranny it sucks. Reverse is too tall for our Jeeps, but nothing you can do about it. It'll last though. It's been used in many other Jeeps. It's the 4 speed auto that was used in both the TJs and 3.8 powered JKs.

Lauren, maybe your KK is quite, but mine with a sky slider is just as loud, if not louder, than a JK. I know for a fact that my sister's 16 JKU with full doors and a hard top is quieter than my KK. Soft top JKs are on par with mine. Maybe less wind noise, but more external noise if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:17 am 
LOST Addict

Bmxer524 wrote:
Lauren, maybe your KK is quite, but mine with a sky slider is just as loud, if not louder, than a JK.

I think you're right about the sky slider being loud. Other than the road noise from my Duratracs and the momentary whoosh of the HD cooling fan when I start driving in the morning, my KK seems relatively quiet driving down the road.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

So any of you regret getting your liberty? And if so, what would you have gotten instead?

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:02 pm 
LOST Addict

GMLOGMD wrote:
So any of you regret getting your liberty? And if so, what would you have gotten instead?

Ehh yes and no. I wanted a JKU, settled for the KK because the JK was just out of my price range. I ended up getting at least the sky slider so it's closer to the open feel of a Wrangler. I built a nice Jeep so far and does everything I ask from it, but I just always wanted a JKU. I would have bought new in 11 (like I did with my KK), which meant I'd have a garbage 3.8.

Would I go the KK route again? No, I would have sacrificed more for the Wrangler. I eventually plan on buying a JKU. It'll also sit on tons, 37-40s and have a LS 6.0 backed by most likely a 6l80.

Is the KK bad? No, like I said it does everything I ask it to do, and looks good doing it. It taught me how to actually wheel and have to pick lines etc, where with a JK you can run 37s with flat fenders and a 3.5" lift. All that's gonna teach you is how to drive over the obstacles (unless you do some serious crawling).