It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear Main Seal Leak
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:03 am 
LOST Newbie

Just took Berty over to the shop to check out my oil leak. Rear main seal is bad. Joy. He told me not to spend my money to fix it and just wait until either the trans or engine blows up because its just not worth it. Just have to check the oil every so often. Had my oil changed about 6 weeks ago right before a trip to Vermont when I drove about 800 miles total. It was leaking before then and still plenty of oil in it. I have a few trips this summer, one will be about 1000 miles total. What are your guys opinion on this? Let is keep dripping until i get rid of it? Fix it? My some sealer additive and hope for the best? its only got 88K miles on it. :banghead:

ATH Shackle Mounts w/ Rugged Ridge D-rings
Mopar Hitch

Post subject: Re: Rear Main Seal Leak
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:26 am 
LOST Addict

That does suck. How much oil leaks out? Does it lose oil sitting overnight or just while driving?

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:09 am 
LOST Newbie

its a slow drip. i first noticed it back in march when i took my skids off the repaint them after a day of rocking trails. the trans skid catches the oil so its not dripping onto the ground.

Mopar Hitch

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:36 am 
LOST Newbie

I had a 16 year old ford ranger that lost a quart week and I drove it that way for 3 years haha. I just checked the oil on a regular basis and kept spare oil with me at all times.

It wasn't worth it to me to replace the seal - but it was just a beater to me. It was a 1994 with 195,000 miles on it when I got it for $800 in 2010. Had ford focus lifters in the engine cause the originals were too expensive lol. Lost the brakes two times ... Brake lines broke once and then the brake booster went at some point too. Transmission was so far gone it slammed into gear and shook the entire vehicle... Speedometer would spin constantly in a full circle... That's the kind of shape it was in. The northeastern rust is why I ended up junking it. Hole in the frame that I wasn't willing to fix.

It's easy to say to not worry about it but I would be if it happened to my KK. These are not old beaters! How much did he quote you to replace it? Our engines are pretty fluid sensitive unlike my old ford ranger's with mismatched engine components lol.

2012 Bright white KK - Steelcraft black brushguard, painted black rims (didn't know it was so popular lol), 1" clevis lift in the front, RS Chip (woke her up!), magnaflow muffler + resonator delete and a few other small mods.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

HA. He didnt quote me on a price because he said its just not worth it unless something else major breaks. he would hate to fix it and then have the possibility of the trans or something blowing and have the guts ripped out again. I think he was going to try to convince me to just get rid of it. Only have it 3 years, like to at least get 3-5 years out of it, or as long as i possibly can.

I've been researching online and it looks like a lot of people have success with AT 205 resealer. I might dump a bottle in just to see if it works. This is basically my wifes daily driver. Shes a stay at home mom so not driving long distances but shes none too thrilled about leaking oil.

Mopar Hitch

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Try a can of JB engine stop leak (Justice Brothers)it works well. The JB radiator stop leak is awesome.
Dave

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:46 am 
LOST Newbie

Had an s10 that was high mileage with a rear main seal leak. I used
Code:
https://lucasoil.com/products/engine-oil-additives/engine-oil-stop-leak
as I have had good luck with their products. Never had any further issues.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i just had the rear seal replaced on my 2011 kk baby, but got it done for free... if you want to know how read my rant in my build thread, link is below. But the dealership quoted me $900 pre tax. but it has a 12 month/12000 mile warranty. I wouldn't think that its something to just wait and see because what if it just 100% gives out while you are driving and before you know it no more oil and seize your perfectly good working motor....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

I added some AT-205 about a month ago. I noticed the leak has significantly slowed, if not stopped. I had it at the dealer last week for a trans flush. You know how they do their normal once over on the whole vehicle. they wanted me to:
Replace differential fluids: $260
Replace cabin filter: $55
Replace engine air filter: $50
Alignment: $90
Balance and rotate: $85
Replace Transfer case fluid: $85
I can do at least 4 of these things on my own in my driveway. But not mention of an oil leak...

Mopar Hitch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:23 pm 
LOST Member

Your dealer must use liquid gold for fluids, lol. Thats ridiculous even if using full synthetic oils.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

MarkZ28 wrote:
Your dealer must use liquid gold for fluids, lol. Thats ridiculous even if using full synthetic oils.

Have you priced full synthetic gear oil lately? For real good synthetic gear oil(really no such thing) your spending $80+ for the fluid alone then you got to pay the tech to change it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:47 pm 
LOST Member

Even if it was that high and have to have it, Id do it myself to save money, make sure its done right, and have fun doing it. I am using standard gear oil in my diffs, 85/140, with no problems. I use atf +4 for the trans and transfer case. I think atf 4 is synthetic anyway though. Once I get into more serious offroading I will switch to synthetic gear oil but probably use tge normal known brands like Valvoline.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:19 pm 
LOST Addict

Good old dino oil is better than synthetic for diffs. At least that's what I've always been told.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

MarkZ28 wrote:
Even if it was that high and have to have it, Id do it myself to save money, make sure its done right, and have fun doing it. I am using standard gear oil in my diffs, 85/140, with no problems. I use atf +4 for the trans and transfer case. I think atf 4 is synthetic anyway though. Once I get into more serious offroading I will switch to synthetic gear oil but probably use tge normal known brands like Valvoline.

The 85w-140 dino gear oil your using now is the best for offroading,synthetic is the worst choice for your diff.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
MarkZ28 wrote:

The 85w-140 dino gear oil your using now is the best for offroading,synthetic is the worst choice for your diff.

I see you said Offroad use... how about for on road use?