It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tire Rub
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:35 pm 
LOST Member

Guys my 32s just Barely clear the pinchweld at full left turn even with the cutting I've done. Took a L turn up a hill today and it rubbed super bad and actually took a little chunk of the tire off. Is it safe to trim anymore than I already have? Or can I get the clearance I need by pounding?I feel like as is my tires are gonna get chewed up. The only other options if I want to run 32s is crank the front end UP higher than 3.5", which seems like a terrible idea given all the steering and ESP problems I've had. Before Tj chimes in, I realize that the universe is sending unending signs that I should swap to smaller tires but I SOLD MY SOUL to build this truck and the 32s are sick! I'm willing to put the work in to keep the build as it is, I just need your guys help.

2011 KK Sport, Blacked out. JBA 4" Silver, Tire Carrier. 265/75/16 Duratracs. 16x7:4 AR172 Bajas. 4.56 Gears. RRO Super Sliders, Side Rails. Mopar Skids, Hooks. Curt Receiver. SC Brush Guards. RR Mats. Yakima/Bison Rack.

Post subject: Re: Tire Rub
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:40 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

What I always tell everyone...............
To properly run 32s you need at the very least 3.75-4 inches of lift
( of course JBA coilovers to prevent coil/UCA contact )
and....................at least 4.10s preferably 4.56s

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:53 am 
LOST Member

Don't you think cranking up would be a bad idea given my steering issues? I'm asking if there's any room to trim a little more or just pound the pinchweld and is that safe to do. If not I'll consider other options. Seems like raising the lift is just asking for more problems.

2011 KK Sport, Blacked out. JBA 4" Silver, Tire Carrier. 265/75/16 Duratracs. 16x7:4 AR172 Bajas. 4.56 Gears. RRO Super Sliders, Side Rails. Mopar Skids, Hooks. Curt Receiver. SC Brush Guards. RR Mats. Yakima/Bison Rack.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:33 pm 
LOST Member

Well I'm just gonna pound it to Try to clear another 1/2 inch or so. Then coat with rubber sealant to prevent tire damage and rust. Let me know if this sounds like a bad idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The pinch weld is a structural seam and is part of your floor board.
Me personally, I would not touch it. One day I may decide to try to sell my rig... Not likely, but I want to keep my options open.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:33 am 
LOST Member

Scar0 wrote:
The pinch weld is a structural seam and is part of your floor board.
Me personally, I would not touch it. One day I may decide to try to sell my rig... Not likely, but I want to keep my options open.

Welp the offroad shop already cut the pinch weld to fit the tires so I'm pretty much past the point of no return. Wish they would have left the plastic liner to protect the tires from the metal. Tires clear at full turn on level ground but any flex on the wheels and the pinch weld digs into the outside edge of the tires. I'm figuring I wouldn't hurt too much to pound a little and clear up another 1/4-1/2 inch, then coat with rubber to protect the tires. Shop left it at 3.5" cuz that was as high as they felt comfortable aligning it I believe. Plus doesn't seem like a good idea to raise any higher given my issues. As long as the car isn't gonna come apart on me lol, not overly worried about the resale value. This car has become somewhat of a toy for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:40 pm 
LOST Member

Tried pounding some today. Don't know if that's gonna be enough, looks like I'm gonna have to cut more. Even if I raised another .5" I still need more clearance if i want there to be any room whatsoever for flex. Gonna blast it with a angle grinder and fill any opening in the seams with JB weld. Wish me luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:26 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:54 pm 

ElCuervo52 wrote:
Tried pounding some today. Don't know if that's gonna be enough, looks like I'm gonna have to cut more. Even if I raised another .5" I still need more clearance if i want there to be any room whatsoever for flex. Gonna blast it with a angle grinder and fill any opening in the seams with JB weld. Wish me luck.

NO ANGLE GRINDER PLEASE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:49 pm 
LOST Member

Fine Fine. I'll just crank up the coils and deal with this wacky ESP. Killswitch might be the next mod on the list.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
At some point you may want to sit down and work out a cost comparison for all these VS going SFA with it. Unless it's just another S.D. mall crawling princess 4x4, in which case, spend away!

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:27 am 
LOST Member

My plan was definitely to make this an off-road beast. I though SFA on a KK was really tough to do?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:21 am 
LOST Addict

Not really tough per say if you're mechanically inclined. It's gonna take some time and effort though. It can also get extremely pricey to do "right". Electronics will give you a problem too. I don't think cali is too happy about Christmas trees on the dash when it comes time for your inspection either. You can ask Nathan more about the electronics if you'd like. He's going through a similar situation due to the axle swap.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just cut it and weld a plate over it ... that's what I did and im running 33s and at full flex and turn I don't rub ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:16 pm 
LOST Member

Ihapy2bnapy wrote:
Just cut it and weld a plate over it ... that's what I did and im running 33s and at full flex and turn I don't rub ImageImage

Any steering or ESP issues with those 33s?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:18 pm 

ElCuervo52 wrote:
Ihapy2bnapy wrote:

VERY BAD WAY TO DO IT, PLEASE DO NOT DO IT THIS WAY
TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN BUILDING 4X4S FOR 40 PLUS YEARS , A HACK JOB IS NOT THE RIGHT WAY

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Not at all, I've only wheeled once after it but I got about 3k miles since I did it .. i don't know if that's something typical or just a few jeeps get it .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
ElCuervo52 wrote:
Ihapy2bnapy wrote:

VERY BAD WAY TO DO IT, PLEASE DO NOT DO IT THIS WAY
TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN BUILDING 4X4S FOR 40 PLUS YEARS , A HACK JOB IS NOT THE RIGHT WAY

Hmm ok .. so you never had cut anything off a Jeep ??? ... my experience is that nothing has happened to it ... of course if you crash going 70 mph I don't think having or not having your pinch weld intact is really going to make a difference .... what's really going to make a difference is if your buckled up lol ... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ihapy2bnapy wrote:

Hmm ok .. so you never had cut anything off a Jeep ??? ... my experience is that nothing has happened to it ... of course if you crash going 70 mph I don't think having or not having your pinch weld intact is really going to make a difference .... what's really going to make a difference is if your buckled up lol ... ;)

Actually it does since those pinch welds are 2 of the strongest points of the body.With those compromised that area will crush when it's not supposed to since it's the beginning of the passenger compartment.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:54 pm 
LOST Member

Ok I think Tommudd will have a stroke if I cut it more so I'll leave it alone. Whether I like it or not half of my pinch weld is gone. I just gonna pound what's left and seal. Should I try to do any welding to strengthen what's left? Maybe I'll just buy new fender liners. I'm still gonna have to lift up to 4" if I want to run the 32s.