It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tire Rub
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:28 am 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:
Ihapy2bnapy wrote:

Hmm ok .. so you never had cut anything off a Jeep ??? ... my experience is that nothing has happened to it ... of course if you crash going 70 mph I don't think having or not having your pinch weld intact is really going to make a difference .... what's really going to make a difference is if your buckled up lol ... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually it does since those pinch welds are 2 of the strongest points of the body.With those compromised that area will crush when it's not supposed to since it's the beginning of the passenger compartment.

Oh ok... I think it's slot of here-say .. before doing it I got tired of searching on the web any pinch weld failures , i don't think there's any measurable differences in crashes vs cut and welded pinch weld ... has any of the people who are against it have actually done it and seen it fail ?? or if anyone has some actual prof it does make a big difference I'd like to see the article ....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:39 am 
LOST Newbie

ElCuervo52 wrote:
Ok I think Tommudd will have a stroke if I cut it more so I'll leave it alone. Whether I like it or not half of my pinch weld is gone. I just gonna pound what's left and seal. Should I try to do any welding to strengthen what's left? Maybe I'll just buy new fender liners. I'm still gonna have to lift up to 4" if I want to run the 32s.

Yeah definitely Weld something to it. What I did is I welded the seams back together then welded a plate all over it. I went with eighth of an inch metal... I think there would be more problems going four-inch or taller. Versus just cutting and welding the pinch weld to run the tires.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:47 pm 
LOST Member

I don't feel comfortable cutting any more off. I'm just gonna pound whats left over to the side. I'm just wondering if I should weld whats left of the seams back together or add any extra steel. Obviously adding too much defeats the purpose of trying to gain more clearance. I'm not convinced pounding with be enough clearance for the wheels to flex so I think either way I might have to raise to 4".

2011 KK Sport, Blacked out. JBA 4" Silver, Tire Carrier. 265/75/16 Duratracs. 16x7:4 AR172 Bajas. 4.56 Gears. RRO Super Sliders, Side Rails. Mopar Skids, Hooks. Curt Receiver. SC Brush Guards. RR Mats. Yakima/Bison Rack.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ihapy2bnapy wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
Ihapy2bnapy wrote:

Hmm ok .. so you never had cut anything off a Jeep ??? ... my experience is that nothing has happened to it ... of course if you crash going 70 mph I don't think having or not having your pinch weld intact is really going to make a difference .... what's really going to make a difference is if your buckled up lol ... ;)

Actually it does since those pinch welds are 2 of the strongest points of the body.With those compromised that area will crush when it's not supposed to since it's the beginning of the passenger compartment.

Oh ok... I think it's slot of here-say .. before doing it I got tired of searching on the web any pinch weld failures , i don't think there's any measurable differences in crashes vs cut and welded pinch weld ... has any of the people who are against it have actually done it and seen it fail ?? or if anyone has some actual prof it does make a big difference I'd like to see the article ....

Go work at a body shop and become the frame machine guy,you'll learn all about what I'm saying.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:
Ihapy2bnapy wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
[quote="Ihapy2bnapy"]

Go work at a body shop and become the frame machine guy,you'll learn all about what I'm saying.[/quote]

More here-say ...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ihapy2bnapy wrote:

More here-say ...

How about you actually learn about unibody construction,crush zones, and repair before you dismiss anything.Just because you can't find it on the internet does not mean it's not true.All you will find is unibody vs body on frame discussions.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:57 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Ihapy2bnapy wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

Go work at a body shop and become the frame machine guy,you'll learn all about what I'm saying.

More here-say ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Not here say at all, take yours to a good quality body shop and asked them if you don't believe us
COMMON sense as well
I've also been in the Jeep plant and say KKs being built, actaully discussed this with one of the tech guys in there about what some were doing
Won't type out what he said , but wasn't good

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:06 am 
LOST Junkie

tommudd wrote:
Ihapy2bnapy wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

More here-say ...

Not here say at all, take yours to a good quality body shop and asked them if you don't believe us
COMMON sense as well
I've also been in the Jeep plant and say KKs being built, actaully discussed this with one of the tech guys in there about what some were doing
Won't type out what he said , but wasn't good[/quote]
You can't leave me hanging like that. What did he say?

L.O.S.T. #31000

'03 KJ Freedom Edition - 4" JBA Coilover Lift w/ 32" Cooper STT PROs
'98 XJ Sport - 6" Full-Traction 4-Link Long Arm - Jeepspeed #2731 (Race Jeep)

DobermanRacing.com - Team Driver
Sponsored by UltRanger & CellTech

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:13 pm 
LOST Addict

I am sure it does compromise crush zone etc but i bought mine already ground off totally. I did know it before i bought it but got great deal. It clears the wrangler takeoffs that r 32.1 inches barely with a 2 or at most 2 !/2 lift daystar front about same lift as my sons old man emu lift in front.

How would it be possible to more or less recreate the crimp toward the interior passenger compartment side rather than the exterior wheel side ?

It seems like this may be doable though a lot of work.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:43 am 
LOST Member

Guys do I need to weld what's left of the seams back together and/or weld extra steel to reinforce my pinchwelds? I'm wondering if adding extra steel would make it easier to pound the whole thing over.

ImageImage

2011 KK Sport, Blacked out. JBA 4" Silver, Tire Carrier. 265/75/16 Duratracs. 16x7:4 AR172 Bajas. 4.56 Gears. RRO Super Sliders, Side Rails. Mopar Skids, Hooks. Curt Receiver. SC Brush Guards. RR Mats. Yakima/Bison Rack.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:49 am 
LOST Junkie

You could run a bead down the seam and pound it over. Doesn't look like it was pounded flat at all.

L.O.S.T. #31000

'03 KJ Freedom Edition - 4" JBA Coilover Lift w/ 32" Cooper STT PROs
'98 XJ Sport - 6" Full-Traction 4-Link Long Arm - Jeepspeed #2731 (Race Jeep)

DobermanRacing.com - Team Driver
Sponsored by UltRanger & CellTech

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:34 pm 
LOST Member

Myke wrote:
tommudd wrote:
COMMON sense as well

Zip a coat all the way up, then try and pull the two sides of the zipper, nothing much will happen. Now undo the zipper a bit and try again, the zipper will fly open. That joint is where the body side outer, inner, reinforcements, and underbody tie together. Would you ever notice during normal use? Probably not, but in an offset collision, or even worse, a narrow offset, the body side (and doors with it) will zip away from the underbody instead of crumple. Source: 3 years in automotive body engineering

Numerous junkyard upgrades

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:14 am 

ajohns1288 wrote:
Myke wrote:
tommudd wrote:
COMMON sense as well

Zip a coat all the way up, then try and pull the two sides of the zipper, nothing much will happen. Now undo the zipper a bit and try again, the zipper will fly open. That joint is where the body side outer, inner, reinforcements, and underbody tie together. Would you ever notice during normal use? Probably not, but in an offset collision, or even worse, a narrow offset, the body side (and doors with it) will zip away from the underbody instead of crumple. Source: 3 years in automotive body engineering

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
see there are a few of us who understand
and then some just because its not on the internet says we're all full of POO :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:41 pm 
LOST Member

So seems I can rehab it a little with some welding? Tips on a decent welding kit for a beginner?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:14 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
ElCuervo52 wrote:
Tips on a decent welding kit for a beginner?

For this, please take it to a pro.

For learning to weld, get a setup you can afford and practice on things that the life/health/safety of you, and everyone around you, don't depend on. Bits and pieces of scrap metal work well.
You can work with assorted thicknesses, and metal types. Learn what works, what doesn't.

I learned first with stick welding with an old AC welder.
Once I got into high school shop, I got experience with dc and oxy/acetylene.
MIG and TIG came later.
Even at that, I would still take it to a pro. Not that I don't have confidence with my abilities, but I know I am an amateur.
I have enough experience, and knowledge to know better than trust my life and everyone around me to my abilities as a welder.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:15 pm 
LOST Member

Do you think its necessary to repair my pinchweld?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:25 pm 

ElCuervo52 wrote:
So seems I can rehab it a little with some welding? Tips on a decent welding kit for a beginner?

Professional please, not only can you really screw it up not knowing what you are doing but you do know what is right on the other side of that right?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:30 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
ElCuervo52 wrote:
Do you think its necessary to repair my pinchweld?

If it were mine, I would.

The price is nearly insignificant compared to the potential costs of repair to your Libby, your body, and many other unforseen things.

ALSO it's likely that IF anything happens that involves an insurance inspection, I can guarantee that if you read through your insurance policy book in detail, there is something in there covering safety features being disabled, which lets them off the hook, and you will be on the hook for everything, and all costs. And yes, pinchwelds in a unibody or hybrid-body structure (crumple zone protection) are safety features.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:44 pm 
LOST Member

tommudd wrote:
ElCuervo52 wrote:

Professional please, not only can you really screw it up not knowing what you are doing but you do know what is right on the other side of that right?

It doesn't seem that hard to just run a bead down the seam to seal it, and then pound it over. I don't see what a professional would do differently that I couldn't learn how to do. I really can't afford any more labor costs if there's any chance I can do it myself. I bought a flux core welding unit and I plan on doing a bunch of practice welds on sheet metal. I realize the MIG units with shielding gas is better but I would have to weld outside in my driveway. I'm a quick learner. Feel free to convince me otherwise though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Flux cored wire is not a good choice for automotive applications,very messy and must be cleaned very well if you plan on coating the weld with anything.

Plus your average 110v-120v flux welder is not powerful enough for any structural welding,you need to step up to 230v.

And the issue with welding in that area has to do with seam sealer and automotive foam which will catch fire very easily.Don't want to start your interior on fire and you will need a surge protector clamped to the battery,Goodall makes a good one(part#GDL32020).