It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tools for the Job
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:07 pm 
LOST Member

I realize I've been the annoying noob here over the past few months, but I'm genuinely interested in learning how to work on my car (don't really have a choice, can't afford any more labor costs!). I have my dirty 30th bday coming up and my GF plans on getting me the tools I need to work on the rig. I have BASIC tools: full wrench and socket sets, hammers, drill, etc. was wondering if there's anything in particular I need for jobs that can be done in the driveway. I looked for a thread covering this but didn't see anything comprehensive, feel free to direct me there if there is one.

PS I have 2 of these:
Powerbuilt 640912 All-In-One 3-Ton Bottle Jack with Jack Stand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ULZGFU/re ... lzbYHFZFTY

Is that enough to safely support the front end or will I need a floor jack as well? I also have Rhino Ramps. Thanks!

2011 KK Sport, Blacked out. JBA 4" Silver, Tire Carrier. 265/75/16 Duratracs. 16x7:4 AR172 Bajas. 4.56 Gears. RRO Super Sliders, Side Rails. Mopar Skids, Hooks. Curt Receiver. SC Brush Guards. RR Mats. Yakima/Bison Rack.

Post subject: Re: Tools for the Job
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:08 pm 
LOST Addict

#1. DVOM and a good test light (Digital Volt Ohm Meter).
Electrical problems can drive you nuts. These tools can help you keep your sanity.
#2. A good OBD scan tool. Lots of options out there. I use a android tablet with TorquePro app and a ELM327 OBD bluetooth adapter.
#3. A heavy work bench with a vice.
#4. a torque wrench. Even if used sparingly, its nice to have it when you need it.

Other things...

A small assortment of prybars and punches.
Torx sockets, both innie and outie.
Wire cutters, wire strippers, and wire crimpers.

Thats all I can think of for now.
But it never fails, you think you have everything you need for your project, get elbow deep, and realize you need to buy another tool.

I hate bottle jacks and always prefer to have a floor jack.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:12 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
If your working surface is smooth enough, floor jacks are very handy for moving a non-running vehicle about for "any / whatever" reason.

Also if you are needing to jack a vehicle that's lifted beyond what your bottle jack there is able to lift, you will want a separate jack-stand to hold the vehicle while you release your lift jack and put something under it to lift higher.

Things you should consider that make any job easier, whether it's in your driveway, garage, or on a lift.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/87181392
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/66416736
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/66416736

I'm partial to battery powered rachets and drivers.
They generally have more than enough power at this time.
They do not limit you to cord or hose lengths.
They are quieter, especially when you consider the noise of the compressor running too.

Milwaukee Tool is currently the "Snap-On" of battery-powered DIY tools, but changes are constantly ongoing.
Their 18v line is equal to snap-on's 18v versions performance when new.
How long they last will be the test.
There are lots of cheaper brands out there, that can do the same for less. (I'm partial to Ryobi myself, as they were the first to introduce the "one battery fits everything" in the 18V line, exc for one Dewalt 7.2v driver. Http://www.cpopowertools.com/dewalt-dw920k-2-7-2v-cordless-1-4-in--two-position-screwdriver-kit/dewndw920k-2,default,pd.html?ref=pla&zmam=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=726&zmap=dewndw920k-2&gclid=CjwKEAjw07nJBRDG_tvshefHhWQSJABRcE-Z3F54HFQZD_GAa2NwiRSCjUeClfBK3zeCPeNajb509xoCNtjw_wcB
As a locksmith it was a tool I used on virtually every job, several times a day, 7 days a week for 7 years. I "gifted" it to a mechanic in 2008, and bought a new one as I was worried it might fail on the job. He's still using it today. He recently took it apart, and where most have plastic gear reduction units, this one is solid steel with hardened surface. He changed the grease out, cleaned it all up, and said it's got no wear, just barely broken in, shiny teeth.
)

Things that will help: getting your 3/8 and 1/2 drive impacts in brands/versions that use the same battery and voltage. Don't wast money on multiple chargers. Multiple batteries are helpful if you have a large project going, but for most things, the ones that come with are plenty if you keep your last one in the charger. I found myself using the 1/4 ratchet and the 3/8 impact most. The 1/2 was mostly used for things like front axle nuts, and suspension connections, wheel lugs, and trailer hitch / tank skid mounts.

Don't worry about getting a battery powered 3/8 ratchet. The 1/4 has enough power, and a 1/4 > 3/8 adapter will save ya a bundle.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:30 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks guys! Looks like it's time to start building my collection.

2011 KK Sport, Blacked out. JBA 4" Silver, Tire Carrier. 265/75/16 Duratracs. 16x7:4 AR172 Bajas. 4.56 Gears. RRO Super Sliders, Side Rails. Mopar Skids, Hooks. Curt Receiver. SC Brush Guards. RR Mats. Yakima/Bison Rack.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:51 pm 
LOST Member

definitely get a good floor jack. Maybe a good pry-bar set 12-18in. If you live wheres there is snow and salt on the ground a sledge hammer will come in handy for those stuck hubs. mechanics socket set with extensions up to 18". Jack stands 3 ton +. swivel head socket wrench (not ratcheting)1 18 in. wire if youre going to add anything that requires power. get a DMM (digital multi meter) you'll be able to use it on more that your yeep. OBDii Bluetooth adapter and torque app on android. HYPERTECH max energy (not only will it make the liberty drive 100 times better but it will read codes the Bluetooth adapter cannot. if you want to be fancy a set of plastic pry tools for taking apart interior items). I use my fingers and a flathead.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:31 pm 
LOST Member

I have a 2011 I thought hypertext didn't have programming for that year

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

From experience I'd get a PowerProbeIII and if you can swing the extra $$$ the PowerProbeIV is the best.It's a fancy DVM and test light all in one and so much more,one of my most used tools at work.

Word of caution.................

By the good tools,yes there price is much,much higher but worth it in all regards.

Oh and unless your only doing very light duty tasks those Milwaukee cordless tools are total junk.One of the guys I work with bought one of there high end 1/2" cordless impacts and has toasted 2 tools and 5 batteries in 6 months while I finally had to retire my Snap On cordless after 16 years of faithful service 6 months ago(replaced with new Lithium Ion version) and yes even survived 2 years in the desert(Iraq and Afghanistan).

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:49 pm 
LOST Member

Recommendations for a good floor jack?

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ElCuervo52 wrote:
Recommendations for a good floor jack?

Any 3-3.5 ton service jack,more heavy duty and have a very good lifting range,the good ones are in the $250-$350 range.They also have a bigger base then those cheap jacks so more stable.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:17 pm 
LOST Member

Is this what you were talking about?Power Probe PP3LS01 Power Probe III Circuit Tester with PPLS01 Lead Set Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007QV0R7W/re ... lzbDAS2YRZ

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ElCuervo52 wrote:
Is this what you were talking about?Power Probe PP3LS01 Power Probe III Circuit Tester with PPLS01 Lead Set Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007QV0R7W/re ... lzbDAS2YRZ

Yep,truly a very handy tool if you do any automotive electrical work.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

I don't know about battery operated tools, I've never use more than a drill and screw driver.

Tools I can't live without.
the BFH 10 to 15lbs
ball pein hammer, I have one that's about a pound and one that's at least 4lbs
C-clamps, I think I have about a 6" and a 10", good for brake jobs
1/2" breaker bar
1/2" socket set
3/8" socket set
not sure which one but if your going to have your jeep long make sure you have either a 36mm or 33mm deep well impact socket. I got lucky the other week replacing the hub bearing on our van and had the right one, just a standard wall socket that worked, I think I almost broke it thought breaking it loose and re torquing it.

It sounds a little weird but one of my best tools it a right angle screw driver, this isn't the one I have but one just like it. https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-r ... 92630.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:49 am 
LOST Member

Thanks guys this was helpful. Project #1: pound pinchweld w/ BFH.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My :2cents:
I won't use a "C" clamp on brake pistons. Harbor freight has great wood Handscrew clamps for cheap. The wood won't pop a hole in our ceramic/composite pistons and you can apply a great amount of pressure by rotating the screws opposite of each other.
The ones I bought are solid oak and you will pay 3x more for similar at a wood working, or big box store.

Can't live with out a good floor jack and jack stands, as others have mentioned...

3/8 and 1/2 inch breaker bars.
3/8"- Inch Lb torque wrench as well as a 1/2"- Ft Lb torque wrench (clicker type). FYI to keep them calibrated longer, be sure to set them back to 0 when done. This relieves the pressure on the internal spring...
3/8 and 1/2 inch swivels.

For a wire stripper/crimper I prefer the striping part to be up front and the crimper in the handle. I have a 20 year old version of this one from craftsman that is still going strong.

Often over looked is wood. 2x4 and 4x4 pieces, 10 -20" long, come in handy with almost every job I do. Tire chocks, jack blocks to lift higher, protection for the frame when jacking, part supports, to mention a few, and they make a great note pad...

Wire test lights, I have 2. Standard stab your finger with the sharp tip and a wire capture/clamp one handed test light (similar to the Wirehawk Circuit Tester) Cat's meow!.

Metal coat hanger. Cut and sharpened on one end to poke holes and feed wires through rubber grommets (Tape wire to the end and pull it through). No sealant needed as the grommet self seals around the wire.

Disposable finger nail files. They are sand paper on a stick! Great for tight places and small pieces.

Nice set of "wood" chisels. 1/2, 3/4 and 1". Excellent gasket scrapers.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:48 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
:idea: thought of a couple more :idea:

Bed of nails clips for your tester. https://www.ebay.com/i/221330409654?chn=ps&dispItem=1 These allow you to test individual wires without stabbing through insulation with a big probe. The pad places have microscopic pins that penetrate the insulation without tearing it up when you can't reach a wire's end. Also helpful to find breaks in wires hidden by the insulation.

Set of tiny Files. I love my tiny files. They are the right tool for the job for so many things that one would never imagine beforehand. https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Jeweler-Ceramic-Woodwork-Diamond/dp/B01B1R9TWA/ref=sr_1_7?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1496306420&sr=1-7&keywords=jewelry+file+set

Good Gloves!! Not latex, but Nitrile. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MGSGRIS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 My preference is a size that has to stretch to fit my hand in. Skin-tight you can feel everything better, and you won't accidentally get a finger that's too long stuck somewhere dangerous, or worse, in some pulley or something that will jerk your hand somewhere really bad.

Pick set. awesome for dealing with snap wires, retainers, o-rings, etc. etc. https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Jeweler-Ceramic-Woodwork-Diamond/dp/B01B1R9TWA/ref=sr_1_7?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1496306420&sr=1-7&keywords=jewelry+file+set And Yes, even the mirror.

I was using one like this in 10X long before my eyesight fell victim to diabetes. https://www.amazon.com/SE-MH1047L-Illuminated-Multi-Power-Magnifier/dp/B003UCODIA/ref=sr_1_10?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1496306701&sr=1-10&keywords=jewelers+loupe Now it's absolutely indispensable when trying to examine tiny bits.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Scar0 wrote:
I won't use a "C" clamp on brake pistons. Harbor freight has great wood Handscrew clamps for cheap. The wood won't pop a hole in our ceramic/composite pistons and you can apply a great amount of pressure by rotating the screws opposite of each other.
The ones I bought are solid oak and you will pay 3x more for similar at a wood working, or big box store.

A better solution.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:33 am 
LOST Member

You can never ever have enough tools! Just spend whatever she'll let you spend! I agree on BFH's, breaker bars, impact tools, puller's, big bench vice, all those make working on stuff enjoyable! OH and good pair of work gloves, you cut yourself less, and the old lady will be much happier afterwards with the condition of your hands. (Mine runs a nail salon out of our house, so she's always looking at the condition of my hands.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
Scar0 wrote:

A better solution.

I agree, but at 3x the cost...

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:33 pm 
LOST Member

Looks like I might have opened a can of worms with this thread. I think we could go on here forever!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Scar0 wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
Scar0 wrote:

A better solution.

I agree, but at 3x the cost...

Maybe but will not push the piston back in at a angle,those wood tools will just by there design.

The correct tool for the job is worth the extra cost.