It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CV Axle replacement problem. With pics
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

So here is where I am at. 2008 4x4 6 speed manual with 130K miles. I Dropped everything out of the way to pull the front passenger cv axle out. Used a little pry bar and it popped loose just fine. I hardly used any force. As I start pulling the CV axle out, the female end is pulling the connecting shaft (probably not the proper term) that runs to the diff with it. I was able to get it back into place, but it will not disconnect from the CV axle and continues to want to pull out. Judging from the amount of rust on the hub assembly when I pulled this thing apart, it seems this may be the first time. I am assuming there is a type of C clip that is supposed to hold it in place inside the differential that broke. I plan to open up the diff and hopefully find and repair the problem. Any other ideas as to what the issue is? Also, any special bolt up sequence or torque specs for the diff cover I need to be aware of when I put it back on? Thanks for the help. :5SHOTS:

Post subject: Re: CV Axle replacement problem. With pics
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:06 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

ImperialKK wrote:
So here is where I am at. 2008 4x4 6 speed manual with 130K miles. I Dropped everything out of the way to pull the front passenger cv axle out. Used a little pry bar and it popped loose just fine. I hardly used any force. As I start pulling the CV axle out, the female end is pulling the connecting shaft (probably not the proper term) that runs to the diff with it. I was able to get it back into place, but it will not disconnect from the CV axle and continues to want to pull out. Judging from the amount of rust on the hub assembly when I pulled this thing apart, it seems this may be the first time. I am assuming there is a type of C clip that is supposed to hold it in place inside the differential that broke. I plan to open up the diff and hopefully find and repair the problem. Any other ideas as to what the issue is? Also, any special bolt up sequence or torque specs for the diff cover I need to be aware of when I put it back on? Thanks for the help. :5SHOTS:

That is the intermediate shaft and you need to replace it as well.
No need to open the diff up, just replace since you should always replace both at the same time, both wear out

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

So as long as I pull that intermediate shaft out and the c clip/snap ring is still there, I have no problems with anything being lost in the differential. Is that correct? Anything special for reinstallation?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

tommudd wrote:
ImperialKK wrote:

That is the intermediate shaft and you need to replace it as well.
No need to open the diff up, just replace since you should always replace both at the same time, both wear out

Good luck finding one. Those half shafts are harder to find than unicorn farts.

from what I have found. a little motivation with a hammer while the cv shaft is held vertically will unseat the C-clip and allow the two pieces to separate.

after that, inspect the half shaft for any excessive wear, if there is no sign of wear. throw it on the new shaft and install. should be fine.

just my :2cents:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:40 pm 
LOST Junkie

As an added note, just looking at the replacement part... did you get this aftermarket from AutoZone? if so, you may run into some fitment issues. (the shafts are too short)

Speaking from experience. haha.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:23 pm 

ImperialKK wrote:
So as long as I pull that intermediate shaft out and the c clip/snap ring is still there, I have no problems with anything being lost in the differential. Is that correct? Anything special for reinstallation?

Correct, never had one come off and I've swapped out a lot of them. Always replace the intermediate shaft when replacing the CV

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

So just to make sure when reinstalling, once it clips back in, it should hold in that position.. It just felt like it disengaged so easily when I removed it..

I will also be replacing the driver's side cv axle as well. All I have is the CV axle. Is there anything additional I need to replace on that side as well? Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

TIJKK1220 wrote:
As an added note, just looking at the replacement part... did you get this aftermarket from AutoZone? if so, you may run into some fitment issues. (the shafts are too short)

Speaking from experience. haha.

Thanks for the heads up. I just saw that elsewhere as well. Did you have to replace it with a different manufacturer or did you make it work? Thanks.