It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2008 kk towing and overheating issue...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:56 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi all, 1st time poster. I have a question on a cooling issue that I cannot seem to figure out.

We have a 2008 Jeep liberty with the sky slider roof ,don't get me started on that thing, (5k later and its is fixed). It did not come with the factory towing package but I added it using all the oem parts suggested on this site especially the clutch fan.

We have a 17ft travel trailer total weight 3k lbs full loaded (coachman clipper 16fb) . have towed for the past 5 years with our KK and have never had an issue. Up mountains in VT, ect last year we took it to Disney in mid May. No issues.

This year we decide to go back to FL. here is some maintenance that was done at a local shop prior to the trip:

Thermostat housing was leaking ( Replaced both housing and t-stat (not oem))
Drive drive shaft had excessive play ( sent out to be rebuilt)

We are in s Jersey and we took the cape may ferry to get to N Carolina for a overnight stop. We made it fine but I did notice the temp gauge was just a bit past the center mark the whole time. This was not normal but I didn't thank anything was wrong as it seemed to hold where it was. Total miles to NC was about 525 towing. The next morning we take off to get the GA before nightfall. The temp outside was 74 and it was a bit more humid. We get about 50 miles and the truck get hot the temp gauge was about 3/4 and on its way to red... I pull over and then the alarm went off. Shut down the engine and get a tow to a local shop ( another long part of the story). anyway the shop cant fid anything wrong with the cooling system. So they flush the cooling systems give me new coolant and replace my rad cap and send me on my way.

Again the temp is just about 1 notch after center, the whole way to Tampa (average temp was 79-82 low humidity). So I figure . were good and the flush fixed it. Not so fast.

We leave Tampa and goto Orlando, temps now in the near 90's high humidity. we get on the highway AC is on and as always in tow haul mode...the temp on the car starts getting higher and higher
as I try to maintain 60 mph. no good ..the faster I go the hotter it gets turn off the ac... gets hotter ??? I know right. I have always been told to not run the ac when the car is running hot but running the ac kept the temp down a notch. I thin I know now why this is, using the ac makes the electric fan run. So yea I got that. So I am pondering what the hell could be wrong. I know from experience that an engine that is suffering from a cooling systems problem does not cool down when you slow down. So I figured maybe it was the transmission adding more heat to the radiator form the stress of towing maybe the fluid is wearing down. take it to a local jeep dealer and they give the truck a full checkup, passed with flying colors. I decide I get a full drivetrain service done, tranny fluid ,transfer axles. No help. still running hot. At this point I am willing to replace the entire cooling system (radiator, waterpump hoses ,ect) Take a look at this video: Any input welcome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-907eufL6Y&t=37s

Post subject: Re: 2008 kk towing and overheating issue...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

In my past experience if you start to overheat, turn the heater on full blast and the heater core will act as kind of a 2nd radiator. Not fun in 90º weather, but it helps. Since you tow like a Peterbilt, I would recommend an aftermarket auxiliary transmission cooler.

ATH Shackle Mounts w/ Rugged Ridge D-rings
Mopar Hitch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:44 pm 
LOST Junkie

My guess would be start at your water pump. it's a fairly cheap part that you can pick up at oreily's and it's not hard to install.

to test it, pull your serpentine belt off it's pulley and wiggle it. (mine was WAY loose and was causing a noise I thought was a knock in the engine)

in my experience what happened was the little water pump "fan" will break loose from the spindle causing no movement of coolant.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:09 pm 
LOST Addict

Maybe you got a defective thermostat? The other thing that sometimes happens is it's possible to install the thermostat backwards in this engine. But I would think that would lead to more severe overheating and you wouldn't have been able to make the trip that way.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'd replace the water pump and T-stat, then burp the air out of the system.
Also check the viscus fan. With the engine off, try spinning the fan blade by hand. It should move but have resistance.
One last thing, check the radiator to see if the fins are full of bugs...

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:59 am 
LOST Member

heater core slowly plugging up? if you're running hot and turn your heat on do you get heat out of the dash?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:09 am 
LOST Newbie

One other thing, then we got into GA on the way home we hit a thunderstorm and the temp outside went to 73 deg, the temp gauge went right to center and we were able to haul at 65+ mph again. Average temp for the rest of the trip was 80-85 low humidity and the temp gauge stayed about a tick after center.

I am starting to think it is the after market thermostat they put in. Last summer I was doing 70+ up mountains 80+ degrees outside with no issues 3-4k rpms. . And we usually have an extra person with us. I think It may be opening but under load I think it may just not be open enough to allow for max flow in hot weather. The mechanic assures me it is installed correctly that it has an alignment pin and is impossible to install wrong. I guess he took offense to my query...

Over the past 3 years we have had issues with the heat in this thing anyway and have to flush the heater core 2 times during the winter months to get it to work consistently. My mechanic told me it is a design flaw. Not sure what that means.

I guess it is time for a coolant systems overhaul. We dropped it off at the dealer, asked them to completely replace the cooling system with new oem parts.
Radiator
Water Pump
Thermostat
Hoses
(fans if needed)

I guess investing a thousand now is better than blowing an engine. We are planning a trip to Acadia national park in Maine this fall. We don't really plan on going to FL again or towing in that kind of heat again but if this continues to happen it may be time to get a new tow vehicle. Maybe the Libby is just not designed for that climate for towing even its min weight.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No need for the radiator unless it's leaking,hoses and new OEM t-stat(only ones that work right for some reason) are a good idea and pull the waterpump and see if the impeller is damaged.Any play found in the pulley bearings just replace it,I highly recommend Napa's truflow water pumps or Cardones "new" water pumps(has a metal impeller).

Of course the correct coolant is key also,HOAT coolant only(Zerex GO5 is easily found nowdays).

On the point about the t-stat and correct install..................

It is super easy to install it backwards,seen it hundreds of times on 3.7's and 4.7's.