It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: KK with JK rims?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:26 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Tman's KK wrote:
my update.

came into some money after selling off my beloved boat. the plan for the KK is as follows

Wheels: 16x8 https://www.methodracewheels.com/products/standard-matte-black getting those Sept 20th
Lift: OME 1.5" with JBA UCA's Picking it up from Marlin Friday 9/15
Tires: 245/75/16 Duratracs
Extras: ATH Flat Rack

I'm beyond excited to get this accomplished. also a little scared about getting buyers remorse. its been an expensive two days. :5SHOTS:

thank you all for your guidance and stay nearby because i may have some questions for you all in the middle of this install!

expecting to install OCT 7th weekend.

We started in the right direction
BUT why 16 X 8 inch wheels ? Wide for that tire, better size for that wide of a wheel is 265-70-16s
also didn't check but what id=s the backspacing
with an 8 inch wide wheel should be 5 inches of backspacing
7 inch wide works better with a 245-75-16
7 inch wide and 4 inches of backspacing
Duratracs great tire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:21 am 
LOST Member

tommudd wrote:
Tman's KK wrote:
my update.

came into some money after selling off my beloved boat. the plan for the KK is as follows

Wheels: 16x8 https://www.methodracewheels.com/products/standard-matte-black getting those Sept 20th
Lift: OME 1.5" with JBA UCA's Picking it up from Marlin Friday 9/15
Tires: 245/75/16 Duratracs
Extras: ATH Flat Rack

I'm beyond excited to get this accomplished. also a little scared about getting buyers remorse. its been an expensive two days. :5SHOTS:

thank you all for your guidance and stay nearby because i may have some questions for you all in the middle of this install!

expecting to install OCT 7th weekend.

We started in the right direction
BUT why 16 X 8 inch wheels ? Wide for that tire, better size for that wide of a wheel is 265-70-16s
also didn't check but what id=s the backspacing
with an 8 inch wide wheel should be 5 inches of backspacing
7 inch wide works better with a 245-75-16
7 inch wide and 4 inches of backspacing
Duratracs great tire

according to tire rack and a few other sites the tire will fit the rim. 8 inch wide is what was available. it has a 44mm offset so that works out to 5.7 inches of backspacing. which looking at that now may be too much?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:12 pm 
LOST Addict

I think what Tom is saying is that although technically a 245-75-16 will work on an 8-inch rim, it fits more snugly on a 7 inch wide rim. On the street this might not matter, but if you're off-road and you need to air down (for flotation on the beach or on potentially sharp rocky ground), the 245-75-16 on the 8 inch rim is likely to lose its bead with the rim, going flat on you. You can air down the same tire on a 7 inch rim a lot more without risking a flat. So, if going with an 8 inch rim, go with a wider tire like a 265/70/16. It's the same height as the 245/75/16 but a bit wider and more reliable if you need to air down.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:06 pm 

Short answer does it make sense to run a 7 inch wide tread tire on a 8 inch wide wheel OR run a 8 inch wide tread on a 8 inch wide wheel ?
Think about it a bit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:57 am 
LOST Member

okay and what about the back spacing? should i be looking at spacers?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:09 pm 
LOST Member

also all my friends backed out from giving me a hand. could this be a one person job? approximate time required?
i got the jba uca's and Marlin told me i had to cut the bottom portion of where the uca is kind of recessed into. has anyone does this?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:37 pm 

Tman's KK wrote:
okay and what about the back spacing? should i be looking at spacers?

7 inch wide wheel and 4 inches of backspacing
or
8 inch wide wheel and 5 inches of backspacing
either of the above will work great
no spacers, get wheels that actually work without spacers
like above

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:39 pm 

Tman's KK wrote:
also all my friends backed out from giving me a hand. could this be a one person job? approximate time required?
i got the jba uca's and Marlin told me i had to cut the bottom portion of where the uca is kind of recessed into. has anyone does this?

Done many by myself
the thing is how mechanically inclined are you ?
Do you have jacks, jack stands ?
tools required ?
Time, again not knowing your skill level it depends, have heard of some that took them 4 hours to just do the rear when its a 20-30 minute job at most
Bottom part of the pocket take ball peen hammer and bend over the raised metal potion, making a " bed" for the UCA to drop into when fully flexed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:11 pm 
LOST Member

tommudd wrote:
Tman's KK wrote:

Done many by myself
tools required ?
Time, again not knowing your skill level it depends, have heard of some that took them 4 hours to just do the rear when its a 20-30 minute job at most
Bottom part of the pocket take ball peen hammer and bend over the raised metal potion, making a " bed" for the UCA to drop into when fully flexed
Got the wheels today. 4.5in of back spacing and the stock wheels are 5.5. (Subtract .75 due to tire buldge) Measured from the face of the wheel that meets the hub to the outer most edge of the rim.. I think I'll be okay.

Very mechanically inclined But uncertain how to release certain things. I.e. upper ball joint from the knuckle (photo)ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:18 pm 
LOST Member

Is this the style spring compressor everyone says not to use? I'm staying away from harbor freight, but they appear to have some safety features like those super strong locking pinsImage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:16 am 

Tman's KK wrote:
Is this the style spring compressor everyone says not to use? I'm staying away from harbor freight, but they appear to have some safety features like those super strong locking pinsImage

Please take them to a shop, well unless you want to live in a vegetable state for years
worst ones you could get for several reasons

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:18 am 

Tman's KK wrote:
tommudd wrote:
Tman's KK wrote:

Done many by myself
tools required ?
Got the wheels today. 4.5in of back spacing and the stock wheels are 5.5. (Subtract .75 due to tire buldge) Measured from the face of the wheel that meets the hub to the outer most edge of the rim.. I think I'll be okay.

Very mechanically inclined But uncertain how to release certain things. I.e. upper ball joint from the knuckle (photo)ImageImageImage

Upper ball joint , hit the very upper part of the spindle to knock it loose
also tie rod ends same way
How wide are your wheels ? If 8 inch , and 4.5 inches of back spacing still an issue if 7 inch wide then you're ok

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:37 pm 
LOST Member

tommudd wrote:
Tman's KK wrote:
tommudd wrote:
[quote="Tman's KK"]also all my friends backed out from giving me a hand. could this be a one person job? approximate time required?

Done many by myself
tools required ?

Upper ball joint , hit the very upper part of the spindle to knock it loose
also tie rod ends same way
How wide are your wheels ? If 8 inch , and 4.5 inches of back spacing still an issue if 7 inch wide then you're ok[/quote]8 inches wide. 4.5 inches back spacing. Why do I need more? Am I going to hit the fender?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:37 pm 
LOST Member

I got the OME kit a top plate and 2 added isolators for each side. Will it still sit level?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:29 pm 
LOST Member

https://skyjacker.com/shop/suspension-lift-kit/lib258k-n/#configuration

please go to this link and look at the tab at the bottom that states installation Instructions. download the instructions.

Do i have to do steps 3 thru 7? essentially remove the steering knuckle from the vehicle to access the strut?

Also this does not give me any torque specs when i go to reinstall everything so any information would be greatly appreciated.

what items do i need to tighten with the weight of the vehicle on the ground to avoid the loud knocking people describe.

Im going to attempt to do this lift on my own this weekend Sept 30th so any up front knowledge you all can give to me will be a blessing.

thank you,

TJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:01 pm 

Tman's KK wrote:

please go to this link and look at the tab at the bottom that states installation Instructions. download the instructions.

Do i have to do steps 3 thru 7? essentially remove the steering knuckle from the vehicle to access the strut?

Also this does not give me any torque specs when i go to reinstall everything so any information would be greatly appreciated.

what items do i need to tighten with the weight of the vehicle on the ground to avoid the loud knocking people describe.

Im going to attempt to do this lift on my own this weekend Sept 30th so any up front knowledge you all can give to me will be a blessing.

thank you,

TJ

:ROTFL: :ROTFL:
First time I have read their instructions and wow
No you do not need to go through all the "BS"
Yes remove upper ball joint, after caliper ( hanging caliper out of the way)
Then removing tie rod end sometimes makes it easier, but not the whole spindle etc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:20 pm 
LOST Member

tommudd wrote:
Tman's KK wrote:

thank you,

TJ

:ROTFL: :ROTFL:
First time I have read their instructions and wow
No you do not need to go through all the "BS"
Yes remove upper ball joint, after caliper ( hanging caliper out of the way)
Then removing tie rod end sometimes makes it easier, but not the whole spindle etc

thank you for the response Tom, you've been very helpful! do you have any torque specs or idea of what knocking people are talking about and what bolts to tighten with the weight of the vehicle on the ground?

ME Next week --> :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:01 am 
LOST Member

Today is the day! after work ill be attacking the Jeep! hoping to get the front end out tonight to get it to the shop bright and early tomorrow morning to compress the struts.

Rear end will be tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:49 am 
LOST Newbie

For anyone else later reading this, apparently the 7×16 ET30 wheels I put on my X-Trail are 1in upsized Jeep Wrangler/Cherokee '7×15' wheels, and also fit the KK. PCD is 114.3mm and offset is 30mm positive.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Not that it matters but when I replaced my KK's tires/rims (BFGoodrich All Terrain TA KO2) LT265/70 R16s. And 8.5 inch MB TKO rims.
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels ... ko/p/45655

The KK has a 1.5inch lift so they fit fine w/o having to make any pinch weld modifications. The ONLY issue is in the rear, some flexing (for lack of better terms), the wheel is too wide to fit into the fender well. That being said, the rims have ZERO offset. Tried some other rims but it caused rubbing when locking the turns from side to side. I kept my original rims and the 3 year old goodyear dura tracs. These were 1 size down from my current tires. I ended up putting them on my 02 Liberty. They are still noisy, and do rub in reverse when locking the turns to port or starboard. But it steers a whole lot better then when I was running some wheels I got from Discount tire a few years ago. Couldn't drive the jeep over 65 or I got some "out of balance" feel. And it seem to wonder from side to side if the pavement was rough uneven. Think I'll stick to the 09 rims on the 02 for now.

(9 rear diff ground clearance)
ATH Front steel bumper
12k lb winch - BadLands
Reese Class III Rear Hitch
Pyle 42watt flood lights
Lifetime Warranty - Eng, Trans-Drivetrain