It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KK with JK rims?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:53 am 
LOST Member

looking at getting some JK rims from a local, '07-'17. i know the bolt pattern is different but adapters can fix that. what about the width, backspacing/offset they are 17x7.5.

with a 2 inch lift, spacer/adapters can i fit 245/70/17 tires?

anything else I should be looking at for wheel specs?

thank you,

TJ

Post subject: Re: KK with JK rims?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:16 am 
LOST Addict

Those are 31's (30.6" diameter), equivalent to the 245/75/16's that I'm currently running.

Normally I would say a 2.5 inch lift would be sufficient to run a tire of that height. The issue is that you'll need some kind of wheel spacer adaptor to go from the KK's 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern to the JK's 5 on 5 bolt pattern. Those adaptors exist, but it pushes the wheels out, making them swing in a wider arc, thus increasing the chance of rubbing. If you can get your Jeep up to 3 or 3.5 inches using the Tommudd EconoLift (a combo of OME springs & a few other tricks-- see jeepinbyal.com), that should be sufficient to escape the rubbing.

One other thing to keep in mind with wheel adaptors is that you will have 2x as many lug nuts and you'll have to keep an eye on the inner ones to make sure nothing ever loosens up.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:00 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

First question, what lift do you have ?
Second question, why those tires and wheels ?
Why not buy wheels that actually fit and not have an extra 20 lug nuts to worry about
you may get the wheels cheaper but spending 200 bucks on good spacers you could invest that into better wheels that fit

plus what my buddy said above !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:17 am 
LOST Member

I think I want to purchase the OME 2.5 next week. (Also if I wanted 3 inches out of that lift do I need a top plate and extra isolators?) You guys are right. That's a pain. Ill buy some other aftermarket ones.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:59 pm 

For 3 inches of lift OME 927/731 springs, then a 1/4 inch top plate in front with Teraflex front bumpstops
rear one extra upper iso per side with two hockey pucks per side bolted down
If you really wanted to do it all, then extended length trac bar in the rear with extended sway bar links
Trac bars on the KKs tend to pull them over to one side the higher you go

Of course new shocks front and rear ( rear extended length )

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:20 am 
LOST Member

Can I do 3 inches needing al's A arms? And the rear shocks do I want the 60069 shocks of the N132L long shocks? Also I'm stacking the iso's on top of one another correct? Can I reuse the stock ones?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:20 am 
LOST Member

Let me clarify. Can I do 3" without needing Al's A arms?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:09 am 

Tman's KK wrote:
Can I do 3 inches needing al's A arms? And the rear shocks do I want the 60069 shocks of the N132L long shocks? Also I'm stacking the iso's on top of one another correct? Can I reuse the stock ones?

You can do 3 inches without JBA UCAs BUT be warned at that height and above it does put extra stress on the UBJ, so at some point will need to do them
They ( OME ) does not make the extended shock any longer so need to move to the Bilstein line for the shocks you want depending on height
Yes in the rear add one extra upper iso per side for an extra 1/2 inch lift

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:20 pm 
LOST Member

I think I'm going to visit JBA Friday. They should be able to get me Set up with what I need? Should i call ahead or do they have everything on hand?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:22 pm 
LOST Member

tommudd wrote:
Tman's KK wrote:

You can do 3 inches without JBA UCAs BUT be warned at that height and above it does put extra stress on the UBJ, so at some point will need to do them
They ( OME ) does not make the extended shock any longer so need to move to the Bilstein line for the shocks you want depending on height
Yes in the rear add one extra upper iso per side for an extra 1/2 inch lift

Am I safer just sticking at 2.5? The econo OME kit, will it work without bilstein or are they necessary at 2.5? Sorry still learning all about this stuff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:41 pm 
LOST Addict

Hi TMan,

If you visit JBA up in Hatfield, they should be able to hook you up with what you need, and certainly give you good advice on what lift parts would be needed to have a well balanced and safe setup at 2.5", 3+", and 4", and answer your installation questions. If I were you I'd call ahead and make sure they have an OME KK lift kit there so that at the very least you could get the 2.5" kit the same day. For the more specialized parts (A-Arms, track bars, etc. for the taller lifts) they can tell you if they have them on hand or if they would need to manufacture more before you get there.

To your question on shocks: For a 2.5 inch lift, the front shocks are the same length as stock, but you would need longer rear shocks. Since OME no longer makes the longer KK shocks but Bilstein does, you would need to go with a pair of Bilsteins. That's what I've been running for the past 80K miles and they are still good, so I am very happy with them. There may be other brands that sell the length you need too, but the Bilsteins are quality.

Marlin usually has his lifted KJ and 2 WK's parked there at the shop. Be sure to check those out! Some are up at 6" with 33's. :twisted:

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:16 pm 
LOST Member

Marlin is the shop owner? I'm about 5 hours away from Hatfield and I have some money burning away at my pocket. It's still my daily driver but I'm getting into the "overlanding" scene and a lift will help when on the trail. I reviewed some instructions scaro or maybe you posted about the JBA 2.5" lift saying it's identical to the OME. But will instructions be included with the OME kit? And anything from your guys knowledge I should keep an eye out for when I perform the install?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:22 pm 
LOST Member

lfhoward wrote:
Hi TMan,

If you visit JBA up in Hatfield, they should be able to hook you up with what you need, and certainly give you good advice on what lift parts would be needed to have a well balanced and safe setup at 2.5", 3+", and 4", and answer your installation questions. If I were you I'd call ahead and make sure they have an OME KK lift kit there so that at the very least you could get the 2.5" kit the same day. For the more specialized parts (A-Arms, track bars, etc. for the taller lifts) they can tell you if they have them on hand or if they would need to manufacture more before you get there.

To your question on shocks: For a 2.5 inch lift, the front shocks are the same length as stock, but you would need longer rear shocks. Since OME no longer makes the longer KK shocks but Bilstein does, you would need to go with a pair of Bilsteins. That's what I've been running for the past 80K miles and they are still good, so I am very happy with them. There may be other brands that sell the length you need too, but the Bilsteins are quality.

Marlin usually has his lifted KJ and 2 WK's parked there at the shop. Be sure to check those out! Some are up at 6" with 33's. :twisted:
Also what bilsteins are you running so I know. Marlin have those as well?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:44 pm 
LOST Addict

Yes, Marlin is the owner of JBA. He knows just about everything you'll want to ask him about the lift install, and if you need more info, Tommudd is the guy around here to ask. He's installed more than 30 KJ & KK lifts for LOST members in his driveway! When I got my lift I didn't know as much about wrenching as I do now, didn't have the tools, and didn't have a driveway either, so I paid Jeff Daniels Jeeps in Harleysville to do the install for me. Knowing what I do now, I would probably organize a lift party with some of the guys from LOST (at someone's house with a driveway) and save myself $1000, and use some of the money I saved as a thank you to my host/installer, BBQ, and beer! Where are you located? There are some guys in NJ, Long Island NY, south central PA, and OH that are still active on here and might help you install on a weekend. Then go take it for an alignment locally before you drive home, and you'll be set.

In terms of the Bilsteins, sorry but whatever markings that used to be on them has worn off and I don't remember. Tommudd should know though. So would Marlin. I'd guess he would have them in stock or could ship them to you.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:37 am 
LOST Member

lfhoward wrote:
Yes, Marlin is the owner of JBA. He knows just about everything you'll want to ask him about the lift install, and if you need more info, Tommudd is the guy around here to ask. He's installed more than 30 KJ & KK lifts for LOST members in his driveway! When I got my lift I didn't know as much about wrenching as I do now, didn't have the tools, and didn't have a driveway either, so I paid Jeff Daniels Jeeps in Harleysville to do the install for me. Knowing what I do now, I would probably organize a lift party with some of the guys from LOST (at someone's house with a driveway) and save myself $1000, and use some of the money I saved as a thank you to my host/installer, BBQ, and beer! Where are you located? There are some guys in NJ, Long Island NY, south central PA, and OH that are still active on here and might help you install on a weekend. Then go take it for an alignment locally before you drive home, and you'll be set.

In terms of the Bilsteins, sorry but whatever markings that used to be on them has worn off and I don't remember. Tommudd should know though. So would Marlin. I'd guess he would have them in stock or could ship them to you.

I am located in Smethport Pa. an hour and a half south of buffalo NY and about an hour and a half east of Erie Pa. middle of nowhere is a accurate description.

i dont have much knowledge about suspension but i do know how to work an impact gun and from all the reading ive done i think i can tackle it without a shop. i do remember reading about so clunking and pops people would get after it was installed. i read that bolts had to be tightened while the vehicle had its weight on it. what bolts have to be tightened with the kk on the ground to avoid the clunking.

lastly tires will follow soon after the lift. can i get an alignment before i get the tires or should i get the tires before the alignment. during the alignment should the SAS and clockspring be reset? im probably better off getting it done a a dodge/jeep dealership? they can recalibrate the speedo digitally for the new tires?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:20 pm 

Tman's KK wrote:
lfhoward wrote:

I am located in Smethport Pa. an hour and a half south of buffalo NY and about an hour and a half east of Erie Pa. middle of nowhere is a accurate description.

i dont have much knowledge about suspension but i do know how to work an impact gun and from all the reading ive done i think i can tackle it without a shop. i do remember reading about so clunking and pops people would get after it was installed. i read that bolts had to be tightened while the vehicle had its weight on it. what bolts have to be tightened with the kk on the ground to avoid the clunking.
IMPACT GUN?? HAVE DONE OVER 45 lIBERTY LIFTS WITHOUT ANY IMPACTS ETC ONLY HAND TOOLS, MORE CHANCE OF BREAKAGE WITH IMPACTS THE WAY SOME PARTS ARE RUSTED

lastly tires will follow soon after the lift. can i get an alignment before i get the tires YES CAN GET AN ALIGNMENT RIGHT AWAY AND THEN AFTER IT SETTLES IN or should i get the tires before the alignment. during the alignment should the SAS and clockspring be reset? im probably better off getting it done a a dodge/jeep dealership? they can recalibrate the speedo digitally for the new tires?NO RECALIBRATION

T

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:23 pm 

Tman's KK wrote:
Marlin is the shop owner? I'm about 5 hours away from Hatfield and I have some money burning away at my pocket. It's still my daily driver but I'm getting into the "overlanding" scene and a lift will help when on the trail. I reviewed some instructions scaro or maybe you posted about the JBA 2.5" lift saying it's identical to the OME. But will instructions be included with the OME kit? And anything from your guys knowledge I should keep an eye out for when I perform the install?

NOT identical since the JBA coilovers come already assembled.
You'll have to remove your fronts, take to shop to have them compressed to remove old springs and shock, then reassemble new shocks/ springs back together

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:57 am 
LOST Member

tommudd wrote:
Tman's KK wrote:
lfhoward wrote:

IMPACT GUN?? HAVE DONE OVER 45 lIBERTY LIFTS WITHOUT ANY IMPACTS ETC ONLY HAND TOOLS, MORE CHANCE OF BREAKAGE WITH IMPACTS THE WAY SOME PARTS ARE RUSTED

lastly tires will follow soon after the lift. can i get an alignment before i get the tires YES CAN GET AN ALIGNMENT RIGHT AWAY AND THEN AFTER IT SETTLES IN or should i get the tires before the alignment. during the alignment should the SAS and clockspring be reset? im probably better off getting it done a a dodge/jeep dealership? they can recalibrate the speedo digitally for the new tires?NO RECALIBRATION

T

so two alignments? how long till it settles in? will i just notice it eventually? also i tried calling marlins shop and sent contact info through his website. tough guy to get a hold of. is this normal?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:00 pm 

[quote="Tman's KK"

[/quote]
T[/quote]

so two alignments? how long till it settles in? will i just notice it eventually? also i tried calling marlins shop and sent contact info through his website. tough guy to get a hold of. is this normal?[/quote]

He was out of the office yesterday for 9/11
also try early in the AM like 7 or so, gets in very early
when I was there we'd get into office about 6:15/6:30

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:25 am 
LOST Member

my update.

came into some money after selling off my beloved boat. the plan for the KK is as follows

Wheels: 16x8 https://www.methodracewheels.com/products/standard-matte-black getting those Sept 20th
Lift: OME 1.5" with JBA UCA's Picking it up from Marlin Friday 9/15
Tires: 245/75/16 Duratracs
Extras: ATH Flat Rack

I'm beyond excited to get this accomplished. also a little scared about getting buyers remorse. its been an expensive two days. :5SHOTS:

thank you all for your guidance and stay nearby because i may have some questions for you all in the middle of this install!

expecting to install OCT 7th weekend.