It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ratchet strap for steering rack
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:03 pm 
LOST Member

I've been somewhat traumatized by my steering troubles offroad, but I don't think I can control the itch any longer and I'm planning to try again soon. Since replacing the steering pump haven't had any steering failures with daily driving. Planning a trip to Joshua tree next month and would love to wheel but nothing would ruin a trip than getting stranded in the desert. JeepNcrowd had mentioned the only solution he found to support the steering rack was to tie ratcheting straps around it. I'm a little confused exactly where to put these however. Could anyone clarify?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 KK Sport, Blacked out. JBA 4" Silver, Tire Carrier. 265/75/16 Duratracs. 16x7:4 AR172 Bajas. 4.56 Gears. RRO Super Sliders, Side Rails. Mopar Skids, Hooks. Curt Receiver. SC Brush Guards. RR Mats. Yakima/Bison Rack.

Post subject: Re: Ratchet strap for steering rack
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:53 pm 
LOST Junkie

I'll reach out to him and see if I can get him to chime in. :2cents:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:07 pm 
LOST Junkie

Yes I don't have any photos now, but I too was plagued with Rack and pinions woes. It was about 50% R&P mount breaking and 50% busting a seal. The ratchet strap around the R&P and the cross member (under the hardlines) cinched snugly is the best reenforcement you can get for that sacrificial mounting bracket. It will, unfortunately, do nothing for the seals. But I've found that even if you manage to break the mounting break the mounting braked the strap will get you home safely. Now for the seals breaking there isn't a way around that yet, I was working on that before I changed over to my new set up, but IMO the ideal fix would be a I bypass that that loops back to the PS pump. That way you can still drive, albeit with out power steering back. You can also do what I did, and carry an extra R&P with all the tools to change it out on the trail. (Done this once at an off road park here in Texas). Or just carry a tone of PS fluid and limp it back home (did this about an hour and a half from home. I stopped every 10miles to refill the reservoir and lube the pump.)

Also when are you going to Joshua tree. I'm planning on heading down there in my WK2 on Oct 22.

Texans, come join us at Lone Star LOST!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253493118163702?ref=bookmark&_rdr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:47 pm 
LOST Addict

ElCuervo52 wrote:
I've been somewhat traumatized by my steering troubles offroad, but I don't think I can control the itch any longer and I'm planning to try again soon. Since replacing the steering pump haven't had any steering failures with daily driving. Planning a trip to Joshua tree next month and would love to wheel but nothing would ruin a trip than getting stranded in the desert. JeepNcrowd had mentioned the only solution he found to support the steering rack was to tie ratcheting straps around it. I'm a little confused exactly where to put these however. Could anyone clarify?

id make sure your bushings are still working as they were from the factory as well as tight bolts. there really isn't a better way to stiffen up the rack other then the ratchet straps. i run power steering fluid thickener that prolongs the pump and seals on the system. id recommend replacing a little bit less then half the fluid in the reservoir with Lucas ps fluid. ive been running that stuff for 2 years and have no issues with heat dissipation, seals, and noises. also depends alot on a few things such as how many miles are on the jeep, off roaded frequently/not, and lift. i also recently replaced the rack so i know what pain you went through... literally.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

Quote:
i also recently replaced the rack so i know what pain you went through... literally.

Tell me about it. After about 6-8 times I got so frustrated with it I decided to completely redo the steering system.

Texans, come join us at Lone Star LOST!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253493118163702?ref=bookmark&_rdr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:26 pm 
LOST Addict

JeepNCrowd wrote:

Tell me about it. After about 6-8 times I got so frustrated with it I decided to completely redo the steering system.

hahahaha, really??? thought you kept the oem style rack when you lifted your KK 20'... haha.

I blew mine from simple driver error. came in hot to a nasty "puddle" that if I got stuck in I'd be screwed up to my diff with no recovery vehicle or winch. luckily was able to limp back to my buddies place on 1 bolt holding the rack on...

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:29 am 
LOST Member

Ahh bummer I'll be in Jtree the following weekend! Thanks for the responses. Power steering thickener could help the seal leaks?

2011 KK Sport, Blacked out. JBA 4" Silver, Tire Carrier. 265/75/16 Duratracs. 16x7:4 AR172 Bajas. 4.56 Gears. RRO Super Sliders, Side Rails. Mopar Skids, Hooks. Curt Receiver. SC Brush Guards. RR Mats. Yakima/Bison Rack.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:25 pm 
LOST Addict

ElCuervo52 wrote:
Ahh bummer I'll be in Jtree the following weekend! Thanks for the responses. Power steering thickener could help the seal leaks?

i use the additive. i have no idea what or if any negative effects of it would be yet, but that is no concern to me since the whole front end of my rig is going to be changed up quite a bit. rear will just about stay the same for now.

but if your seals are leaking then there is no band-aid for them. its advertised as a thickener and seal lubricant.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle