It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 08 KK Rear Axle repalcement
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:07 pm 
LOST Member

Ok so this is going to be done ASAP. Do you all know if there is anything else I need aside from the Axle shaft, Bearing and seal(I cant find a specific rebuild kit)? Also anyone know is C-clips are used on the KK?

Post subject: Re: 08 KK Rear Axle repalcement
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:50 pm 
LOST Member

Also anyone know how to tell is my current axle is 41.1 or 43.3mm?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:39 pm 
LOST Member

so the dealership tells me there is no way of knowing which shaft I have without pulling it and measuring it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:08 pm 
LOST Member

Yes C clips are used. Assuming its just the shaft, I can't think of anything besides new bearings/seals.

A 2008 is most likely going to have the smaller axle, they used the shafts from the Durango I think it was in the 2009+ models. If you can still read the part number tag on the axle housing, you should be able to tell. Its usually on the tube somewhere.

Numerous junkyard upgrades

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:43 pm 
LOST Member

ajohns, Thanks man didnt think to check for a tag. I will when I get home! Heres to hoping its still readable!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:15 pm 
LOST Member

so no sticker :( I did however learn that Jeep for some reason had a few models that had the 3.21 gears. Those models require the 41.1mm axle shaft. Mine is 3.73 so I need the 43.3mm shaft.....I hope.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

brianb1998 wrote:
so no sticker :( I did however learn that Jeep for some reason had a few models that had the 3.21 gears. Those models require the 41.1mm axle shaft. Mine is 3.73 so I need the 43.3mm shaft.....I hope.

I think ajohns is on to something though, the 2008 has a smaller shaft 41.1(the 3.21 gears were on the manual trans only offered in 2008) so anything newer than 2008 might be the 43.3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:35 pm 
LOST Member

I do believe you guys are correct. I'm going to junk yard it and cross my fingers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:06 pm 
LOST Member

For those interested the axle swap is super easy. They hard part is if you're an 08 determining the shaft diameter. Its not as simple as pull it out and measure since we have C-clips holding the darn thing in. I cant find any solid info that says which shaft you need. Any way it goes like this. Jack up the rear and make sure you have good stoppers in the front. Remove the wheel, remove break caliper, remove rotor. you are now looking at the axle flange(the part with the Lugs). Now slide under the jeep and begin removing the bolts holding the differential cover on REMEMBER TO LEAVE THE TOP BOLT IN but loosen it. Make sure you have youre oil pan under the seam where the cover meets the case. With the top bolt in but loose take a flat head screwdriver and pry gently at the bottom separating the cover from the case all the diff oil is going to spill out. once its done draining finish removing the diff cover. Now make sure the Jeep is in neutral. turn the drive shaft(you will see the diff turning as well) until you see the aprox3/4" pin that is held in in the inner housing by a small 8mm bolt. begin removing the bolt until it is finger loose. using one hand hold the pin in whil you finish removing the small bolt. the pin will slide out. Dont turn anything with the pen put. now move back over to the alxe flange and push it in asa far as you can. it should go in about 3/4 inch. now back to the diff. you wil see the shaft end clearly now and you can see the C-clip. Remove the c-clip. you can now slide the axle out.