It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: engine weight?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:21 pm 
LOST Addict

would anyone happen to know the wet weight of the 3.7 without the trans bolted on? didn't have much luck on dodgeforum, jeepforum, or trusty google.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

Post subject: Re: engine weight?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:51 pm 
LOST Addict

That is an interesting question! But even though I had my engine replaced once, I don't the answer. Somebody who has shipped one might know. Maybe give Jasper Engines a call?

Out with the old

In with the new

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:03 pm 
LOST Addict

I found an engine remanufacturer that lists the "Dodge Ram 3.7, '99+" as 400 lbs. By clicking on the Jeep link on the form, you can see they are talking about the same engine. I'm pretty sure the 3.7 was used in the Dakota and maybe the base Ram also for a while, as well as in the Liberty.

http://www.aaaengine.com/weight.php

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:59 pm 
LOST Addict

thanks LFH! I've been doing a lot of planing for the jeep lately. you know I drive a 15L diesel right?... my m1101 is a hair under 2k lbs and is not yet any where its finished weight. the 3.7 and trans are the weak link for what I intend to do in Alaska. know what im getting at? :POPCORN:

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:26 pm 
LOST Addict

15 Liter Diesel! I didn't know you drove a commercial truck. Well, given the hint about Diesel, I would say you might be eying a Cummins swap with a good strong tranny to match. The place that did my lift, Jeff Daniels Jeeps in Harleysville PA, does Cummins 4BT swaps on Wranglers and older Jeeps. Since the controls are all mechanical on that beast, you can avoid expensive computer compatibility issues by using that motor with say an AX15 tranny. Here's their site: http://www.jeffdanielsjeeps.com/jd/diesel.ashx
A diesel would give you the torque you need as well as the range (won't be running out of gas in the middle of nowhere Alaska). I think you would be the first to try something like this on a Liberty. Looking forward to seeing it come together. :POPCORN:

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:24 am 
LOST Addict

The 4bt is wayyy to heavy for us and Is not epa compliant or something like that for a 2012. There is an engine that I’m peping on and it’s only a hundred pounds heavier. My KK gets worse mileage then my 80k lbs truck does when towing... it would be nifty to get 600 miles to a tank though huh :-)r . It really is sad how little power and gears I have. Just having 2 more gears would be soo very helpful. I’m no speed demon but fully loaded (80k lbs) my truck gets up to speed and maintains 10th gear up any grade while the KK barley can go up a 15 degree incline locked in first flored... :|

Harleysville is minutes from my house too.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PALiftedKK wrote:
The 4bt is wayyy to heavy for us and Is not epa compliant or something like that for a 2012. There is an engine that I’m peping on and it’s only a hundred pounds heavier. My KK gets worse mileage then my 80k lbs truck does when towing... it would be nifty to get 600 miles to a tank though huh :-)r . It really is sad how little power and gears I have. Just having 2 more gears would be soo very helpful. I’m no speed demon but fully loaded (80k lbs) my truck gets up to speed and maintains 10th gear up any grade while the KK barley can go up a 15 degree incline locked in first flored... :|

Harleysville is minutes from my house too.

You got major issues that need to be figured out if your KK get's worse mpg's then a OTR truck does at max weight. Have you regeared? PCM/TCM properly configured for tire size?

That means I'm getting better mpg's then you in my KJ that weighs 2000lbs more with the same 3.7 V6.

Spending $10,000-$20,000 to get a few mpg's and a more expensive maintenance bill makes no sense.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:44 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
You got major issues that need to be figured out if your KK get's worse mpg's then a OTR truck does at max weight. Have you regeared? PCM/TCM properly configured for tire size?

That means I'm getting better mpg's then you in my KJ that weighs 2000lbs more with the same 3.7 V6.

Spending $10,000-$20,000 to get a few mpg's and a more expensive maintenance bill makes no sense.

the 3.7 is definitely thirsty when towing. 4 gears certiantly don't help, let alone being locked in 3rd gear doing 60. my truck gets anywhere from 9mpg to 11 mpg. plus the trailer im building up is a foot wider then the kk is so its dragging a boat load of air with it. supposedly the engine I want gets 30 mpg not towing. assuming im geared at the trans properly while towing, 20mpg is probably realistic. remember too im a 2012. im just tired of the short comings the 3.7 drive line has and ive always been into diesels. ive already got confirmation that the shop im looking at can do it. the only things that need to be figured out is the cabin electronics. not one piece of the oem drive line besides the rear axle is staying. i dream high and typically meet those dreams with an empty pocket. haha

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PALiftedKK wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

the 3.7 is definitely thirsty when towing. 4 gears certiantly don't help, let alone being locked in 3rd gear doing 60. my truck gets anywhere from 9mpg to 11 mpg. plus the trailer im building up is a foot wider then the kk is so its dragging a boat load of air with it. supposedly the engine I want gets 30 mpg not towing. assuming im geared at the trans properly while towing, 20mpg is probably realistic. remember too im a 2012. im just tired of the short comings the 3.7 drive line has and ive always been into diesels. ive already got confirmation that the shop im looking at can do it. the only things that need to be figured out is the cabin electronics. not one piece of the oem drive line besides the rear axle is staying. i dream high and typically meet those dreams with an empty pocket. haha

Don't think your getting anywhere close to 20mpg's with the swap with model year 2012 emissions unless your swapping in a diesel from another vehicle with the correct emission stuff already sorted and works.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:24 am 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:

Don't think your getting anywhere close to 20mpg's with the swap with model year 2012 emissions unless your swapping in a diesel from another vehicle with the correct emission stuff already sorted and works.

To my knowledge I won’t need a dpf on a gasoline vin 2012. If I do this build gets a bit more tricky. Lots of jks swap Cummins in their jeep and some how pass emissions. By lots I mean a handful. :D

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:13 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Tons of differences between JK swaps and a KK
Start by regearing yours etc then go from there or sell it and buy a vehicle that will pull it
Going to be costly to even attempt to do anything like that
I just pulled a fully packed 6X10 enclosed and fully packed KJ down the Winston Salem NC from Ohio through WVa, Va etc and had no issues at all with power or pulling hills .
Of course 4.10s in it etc helped a ton!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PALiftedKK wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

To my knowledge I won’t need a dpf on a gasoline vin 2012. If I do this build gets a bit more tricky. Lots of jks swap Cummins in their jeep and some how pass emissions. By lots I mean a handful. :D

The only Jeeps that can legally pass emissions swapping in a Cummins engine(4BT) is if they are 2005 or older.From what I have read about that new small Cummins is it will need alot of emission stuff to pass since it was not designed for road use.

Regardless of what engine is in the vehicle it must pass emissions for the VIN year.A diesel swap means you can not pass 2012 gas emissions and why it is illegal in most states to swap a diesel in a gas vehicle unless that gas vehicle had a diesel option.

Just because you don't have emission tests does not mean you don't have the responsibility to make it pass .You the current owner will be responsible to make it pass emissions for up to 2 years after you sell it.

People like you are the reason for the insane emission requirements,have to make the "legal" vehicles cleaner to off set all the illegally modified vehicles like you want to build.

And yes I'm being blunt and harsh but it is the truth and your ruining my future of fun with vehicles,not to mention major expense in tools I will need to buy to do my job, just because you want to do something you know is illegal to try and save a buck when you actually will spend 10 times more then if you did a simple fix to your current vehicle like actually regearing correctly for the bigger tires.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:15 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
The only Jeeps that can legally pass emissions swapping in a Cummins engine(4BT) is if they are 2005 or older.From what I have read about that new small Cummins is it will need alot of emission stuff to pass since it was not designed for road use.

Regardless of what engine is in the vehicle it must pass emissions for the VIN year.A diesel swap means you can not pass 2012 gas emissions and why it is illegal in most states to swap a diesel in a gas vehicle unless that gas vehicle had a diesel option.

Just because you don't have emission tests does not mean you don't have the responsibility to make it pass .You the current owner will be responsible to make it pass emissions for up to 2 years after you sell it.

People like you are the reason for the insane emission requirements,have to make the "legal" vehicles cleaner to off set all the illegally modified vehicles like you want to build.

And yes I'm being blunt and harsh but it is the truth and your ruining my future of fun with vehicles,not to mention major expense in tools I will need to buy to do my job, just because you want to do something you know is illegal to try and save a buck when you actually will spend 10 times more then if you did a simple fix to your current vehicle like actually regearing correctly for the bigger tires.

you certiantly are entitled to your opinions. alot has changed in the KK community since we all ventured over to social media now. there are people that are doing things the old timers said it was not possible. i am still searching for parts for the swap and researching emissions for swaps. the engine im getting is epa certified for 2016 or 2017... still not 100% sure since there is scarce info on it.

i take no offense to criticism, but people just need to learn to stop saying that's not possible when they've never done it before.

tommudd wrote:
Tons of differences between JK swaps and a KK
Start by regearing yours etc then go from there or sell it and buy a vehicle that will pull it
Going to be costly to even attempt to do anything like that
I just pulled a fully packed 6X10 enclosed and fully packed KJ down the Winston Salem NC from Ohio through WVa, Va etc and had no issues at all with power or pulling hills .
Of course 4.10s in it etc helped a ton!

im in between transmissions. still trying to figure out gear ratios that id need to either stick with my 3.73s or 4.10s. the trailer i haul on the KK is a foot wider then the body is and it still struggles up mountains or even flat ground. engine and trans are very healthy and very well maintained, just no power for my intentions. im a truck driver so i think im ok. :-)r i also love the KK to much to sell it. a complete overhaul is worth it to me then paying for two vehicles that would get driven maybe a week at best out of the month.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:55 am 
LOST Addict

You see the price on that motor? They just announced it at 9k, but you also get everything from accessories to ecu and wire harness. That's putting it on par with a LS3 crate motor.

Anyways, I see Lauren answered but everything I found for the 3.7 is pointing to 400lbs. I was looking it up recently when I was checking out LS motors (which are in the neighborhood of 400lbs as well....).

Good luck and stay legal. Oh and a 6 speed would be a really nice upgrade no matter what motor you run.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:14 pm 

im in between transmissions. still trying to figure out gear ratios that id need to either stick with my 3.73s or 4.10s.

No thought process to it

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
im in between transmissions. still trying to figure out gear ratios that id need to either stick with my 3.73s or 4.10s.

No thought process to it

Sniffing those diesel fumes for to long can do that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:31 am 
LOST Addict

This is what I mean man... no one has done a complete drive line overhaul on a KK to my knowledge and you’re shooting down ideas... the only reason why the KKs are starting to get more after market parts and thinking outside the box are because people are now not listing to people saying it’s not possible and are thinking outside the box. Calm down and give me a bit to gather parts and get it built.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:33 am 

PALiftedKK wrote:
This is what I mean man... no one has done a complete drive line overhaul on a KK to my knowledge and you’re shooting down ideas... the only reason why the KKs are starting to get more after market parts and thinking outside the box are because people are now not listing to people saying it’s not possible and are thinking outside the box. Calm down and give me a bit to gather parts and get it built.

You know what , we old timers will sit back and wait
although if you think about it, us old timers are what got you better lifts, higher lifts etc for the Libertys with lots of time and experimentation since 2003-2004
been doing this over 40 years and have done a lot of things that people said could not be done , ( like rolling 40s on a Dodge van as a DD back in the late 70s)
But to go into this BS about old timers and the social media crap ( you mean Fake book :ROTFL: )
well again we'll sit back and will wait to see what you come up with
Good luck
Its sad when you try and help someone you you get ridiculed
I'm listing now

By the way , truck driver comment, I was too, several million miles over all lower 48 states in a Long nose Pete 379EXHD , Cat , 300 inch wheelbase , 18 speed, so whats ya drive ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PALiftedKK wrote:

You got to think about the cost also.

Are you willing to spend $20,000+ on something that might end up being a giant yard ornament?

Or spend $2000 on 4.10's,$3000 and get fancy with dual ARB's and be happy with your KK again?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:28 am 
LOST Addict

tommudd wrote:
PALiftedKK wrote:

You know what , we old timers will sit back and wait
although if you think about it, us old timers are what got you better lifts, higher lifts etc for the Libertys with lots of time and experimentation since 2003-2004
been doing this over 40 years and have done a lot of things that people said could not be done , ( like rolling 40s on a Dodge van as a DD back in the late 70s)
But to go into this BS about old timers and the social media crap ( you mean Fake book :ROTFL: )
well again we'll sit back and will wait to see what you come up with
Good luck
Its sad when you try and help someone you you get ridiculed
I'm listing now

By the way , truck driver comment, I was too, several million miles over all lower 48 states in a Long nose Pete 379EXHD , Cat , 300 inch wheelbase , 18 speed, so whats ya drive ?

2018 International 10 speed. Rides like a Cadillac. Just about to hit 150k safe miles and early deliveries. Been everywhere besides Alaska and California luckily...

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle