It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stuck in 4WD low?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi everyone, I am new here but by no means new to offroading.

I have a question - I am in the market for a used 2011 model KK but I believe it is either stuck in low range or I just don't know how to operate it.

I have only had chance to test drive one vehicle around town, while cruising at highway speed I noted the ESC OFF error and 4LO flashing. I immediately pulled over only to find that the rocker switch is in 2WD. I shifted into P and set the switch to 4LO after which the 4LO light was now solid. Shifted to D expecting a "clonk" but there was none. Back into P and then switched to 4WD auto and immediately the 4LO flashed. I was confused as surely it could not reach highway speed in 4LO if it were in fact trying to warn me that it is in 4LO.

So then I shifted into P again and switched to 2WD and the light still flashed. I then turned the wheel full left at slow speed and full right afterwards in order to test if it had locked the differential. Either way the inside tire were scuffing heavily in the tarmac which to me is a sure sign of the diff being locked. I was now very confused.

I drove it back to the dealer whom could not tell me why it behaved this way.

Is this Jeep a lemon or am I an idiot, or both?

Thank you in advance and greetings from Cape Town :D

Post subject: Re: Stuck in 4WD low?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Did you try pressing the ESC off/on button?
The 4X4 system will try to change when the switch position is changed. However, if there is a load on the system, it may not be able to. In this case you may need to roll a bit to allow it to "pop/slip" into/out of the selected 2wd, 4Auto, 4LO position.
The light (in this case 4LO)will flash when a position is selected and the transfer case was not able to complete the shift to match the position of the switch in 5 seconds. In this case the X-fer case will remain in the previously selected position. (My guess is 4 Auto since your description of tire scuff would match this.)
The strange thing about this is the 4LO flashing when Auto or 2wd is selected...
It could be a computer glitch, or could be an X-fer case shift motor/position sensor problem.
Hard to say for sure with out actually seeing the rig and trying a few things to DIY Diag it.
Obviously the dealer you test drove it from is not a Jeep dealer, or they would be able to run tests on it.
Until this problem is solved, I would not buy it...

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:58 am 
LOST Junkie

Stefan wrote:
Hi everyone, I am new here but by no means new to offroading.

I have a question - I am in the market for a used 2011 model KK but I believe it is either stuck in low range or I just don't know how to operate it.

I have only had chance to test drive one vehicle around town, while cruising at highway speed I noted the ESC OFF error and 4LO flashing. I immediately pulled over only to find that the rocker switch is in 2WD. I shifted into P and set the switch to 4LO after which the 4LO light was now solid. Shifted to D expecting a "clonk" but there was none. Back into P and then switched to 4WD auto and immediately the 4LO flashed. I was confused as surely it could not reach highway speed in 4LO if it were in fact trying to warn me that it is in 4LO.

So then I shifted into P again and switched to 2WD and the light still flashed. I then turned the wheel full left at slow speed and full right afterwards in order to test if it had locked the differential. Either way the inside tire were scuffing heavily in the tarmac which to me is a sure sign of the diff being locked. I was now very confused.

I drove it back to the dealer whom could not tell me why it behaved this way.

Is this Jeep a lemon or am I an idiot, or both?

Thank you in advance and greetings from Cape Town :D

what I would try in that situation if my 4lo was blinking would be to shift to N instead of park. let the xfer case shift then keep it in N and shift back to 2wd.

test results by listening for the solenoid to shift(its an audible "zip" noise) and see if the lights disappear

4LO blinks when waiting for the proper parameters to shift (like the transmission sitting in N) when you are in 4lo and change the rocker to 4-auto 4lo will blink again to wait for the shift to N to again shift to the next selection.

switching from 4-auto to 2wd can be done on the fly.

I hope this information helps.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:29 am 
LOST Newbie

I am looking for jeep dealer. Any recommendations would help me out