It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coolant leak
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello, my 2012 KK started a very slow coolant leak less than a month ago. My BIL was the one who noticed it and he took it to his mechanic. They told him that the thermostat housing was leaking and they changed it together with the thermostat and flushed the system. It started leaking again last week, it's possible that it was leaking all along, and I'm pretty sure it is the water pump (my guess is that this was always the source of the leak and not the T-Stat). Also, when I checked the coolant I noticed they used DEXCOOL when they "fixed" the leak :banghead:

I searched through the forum and found several post recommending that it be flushed again, to get rid of the DEXCOOL, and refilled with ZEREX G05. I'm also having a new NAPA water pump, MOPAR T-Stat, T housing, upper & lower radiator hoses w/ new clamps, radiator cap and serpentine belt installed.

Is there anything else that I should do or check? Thanks!

Jessy

Post subject: Re: Coolant leak
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:02 pm 
LOST Addict

I responded to you on FB.

But to follow up on the coolant, there’s a lot of stipulation on wheather or not to use non hoat coolant. Fact is that if hoat and other non hoat coolant mixes it will gell up and rock your wallet... personally I’d stick with hoat. It’s a fluid that infrequently needs replacing so why not use what FCA specified to be used.

An easy way to see if the water pump is failing to is to record the pulley with a 120fps camera. Most phones these days have that ability. You’re looking for a wobble in the pulley, if it wobbles, time for a new pump.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

PALiftedKK wrote:
I responded to you on FB.

But to follow up on the coolant, there’s a lot of stipulation on wheather or not to use non hoat coolant. Fact is that if hoat and other non hoat coolant mixes it will gell up and rock your wallet... personally I’d stick with hoat. It’s a fluid that infrequently needs replacing so why not use what FCA specified to be used.

An easy way to see if the water pump is failing to is to record the pulley with a 120fps camera. Most phones these days have that ability. You’re looking for a wobble in the pulley, if it wobbles, time for a new pump.

FB... I posted the same thing twice by accident and think I deleted the post you replied to. Trying to deal with the Jeep, grill some ribs and also post on FB was not a good idea.

I'm sticking with HOAT. Needless to say I'm not taking the Jeep to the mechanic that messed up the coolant. But thankfully dexcool hasn't been in the Jeep for long. Thanks for the tip! I'll be getting a video of the pulley tomorrow and hopefully sending it to one of the mechanics from the local Jeep club that does house calls.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PALiftedKK wrote:
It’s a fluid that infrequently needs replacing

IF you plan on keeping it for some time I would highly recommend not thinking the above statement.

3 years or 75k which ever comes 1st for any coolant besides IAT coolant(2 years max regardless of mileage).Any longer and your going to have issues starting at around 100k and KK's are well known for heater core leaks due to coolant neglect.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:21 am 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
PALiftedKK wrote:

IF you plan on keeping it for some time I would highly recommend not thinking the above statement.

3 years or 75k which ever comes 1st for any coolant besides IAT coolant(2 years max regardless of mileage).Any longer and your going to have issues starting at around 100k and KK's are well known for heater core leaks due to coolant neglect.

I'm not even sure why you commented on this post... No where was age of coolant mentioned. If you look up the definition of infrequent you may retract your comment.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:15 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

PALiftedKK wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
PALiftedKK wrote:

I'm not even sure why you commented on this post... No where was age of coolant mentioned. If you look up the definition of infrequent you may retract your comment.

in·fre·quent

adjective
not occurring often; rare.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PALiftedKK wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
PALiftedKK wrote:

Tom answered why.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:
PALiftedKK wrote:

Thanks for the advice! I plan to keep it until it falls apart and will keep this is mind.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk