It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LED tail light bulbs
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:20 am 
LOST Member

Want to replace the brake light reverse light and turn indicator with LED bulbs. Do I need load resistors? Are there any leds out already equipped with load resistors so I don't have to cut the wiring harness?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: LED tail light bulbs
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just use pop in replacement bulbs that's what I did. The brake led's seem to throw off an (RF) frequency

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:54 am 
LOST Newbie

I was going to buy them today and the Autozone guy said you'll need the extra resistance to make the lights blink correct. His Jeep had the quick blinker. I converted my old CBRR to LED and did the same thing so I had to find a good place to dissipate the heat which wouldn't burn wires or melt plastic. Today I looked as I replaced a light on my Liberty and there is ample room to place the resistors on the lamp mount. My problem is with what? The Sylvania's didn't have mounting brackets. I may epoxy on some metal plating and high temp epoxy the resistor on there. A little high temp paint on the body where the resistor will be won't hurt either.

The way I see it is that if you replace one you'll need to replace all with the wiring unless you isolate the one bulb you replace. That's around $100 right now so a substantial upgrade to me!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:36 am 
LOST Junkie

jsibs wrote:
I was going to buy them today and the Autozone guy said you'll need the extra resistance to make the lights blink correct. His Jeep had the quick blinker. I converted my old CBRR to LED and did the same thing so I had to find a good place to dissipate the heat which wouldn't burn wires or melt plastic. Today I looked as I replaced a light on my Liberty and there is ample room to place the resistors on the lamp mount. My problem is with what? The Sylvania's didn't have mounting brackets. I may epoxy on some metal plating and high temp epoxy the resistor on there. A little high temp paint on the body where the resistor will be won't hurt either.

The way I see it is that if you replace one you'll need to replace all with the wiring unless you isolate the one bulb you replace. That's around $100 right now so a substantial upgrade to me!
Amazon has turn signal resistors.

L.O.S.T. #31000

'03 KJ Freedom Edition - 4" JBA Coilover Lift w/ 32" Cooper STT PROs
'98 XJ Sport - 6" Full-Traction 4-Link Long Arm - Jeepspeed #2731 (Race Jeep)

DobermanRacing.com - Team Driver
Sponsored by UltRanger & CellTech

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:21 pm 
LOST Member

I replaced the reverse lights with LED bulbs from sylvania. they work great. much brighter and no flashing issue. turn signals will be a different story... why hasnt any company had an integrated load resistor in the bulb? i dont really want to chop up my wiring just to have an LED bulb.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:40 am 
LOST Newbie

It’s a good decision to replace the regular light with LEDs. They are cheaper and brighter.
I got some color changing light bulbs a few months ago, and they have completely changed the way my car looked. The car’s interior looks much better now, and I think I will not return to the old way of lighting the car.
Also, you can synchronize these lights with the music you are listening to and control them using an app on your phone. This is much better than regular lights that cannot do anything and cost even more.
I recommend you to think about it and look for some LEDs online.

Last edited by Parazoto on Mon May 16, 2022 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:34 am 
LOST Addict

Tman's KK wrote:
I replaced the reverse lights with LED bulbs from sylvania. they work great. much brighter and no flashing issue. turn signals will be a different story... why hasnt any company had an integrated load resistor in the bulb? i dont really want to chop up my wiring just to have an LED bulb.

I did the same. I like the Sylvania LED bulbs better than incandescent for reverse lights, but I think they could be brighter still. I think we could replace the brake lights with LED with no issues, although I haven’t done it yet. It’s the orange turn signal bulbs that would need resistors to avoid hyperflashing.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997