It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2012 liberty HVAC heating , cooling directional issue.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello. I have a 2012 liberty. So..... Question? Air is fine kind of.. except when I but the air on the floor it comes out of the defrosters and hardly any on the floor. I'm not sure if it's the flapper, the actuator or the upper actuator. Heat and a/c works fine.

Post subject: Re: 2012 liberty HVAC heating , cooling directional issue.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sounds like the Mode door actuator arm fell off.
Get on the floor on the drivers side, look up at the side of the HVAC housing. You will see 2 actuators. The one forward is the blend door(temp) and higher and toward the firewall is the Mode door (air flow direction). With the HVAC "on", look at the mode door, while watching change the mode. You should see the actuator moving and the little white arm connected to the actuator, going to the doors, moving as well.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:38 am 
LOST Newbie

Scar0 wrote:
Sounds like the Mode door actuator arm fell off.
Get on the floor on the drivers side, look up at the side of the HVAC housing. You will see 2 actuators. The one forward is the blend door(temp) and higher and toward the firewall is the Mode door (air flow direction). With the HVAC "on", look at the mode door, while watching change the mode. You should see the actuator moving and the little white arm connected to the actuator, going to the doors, moving as well.

Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Your welcome. Unfortunately once it starts to come off, it will keep doing just that.
Sometimes it is due to just wear, other times it is because one of the doors are sticking.
The bad news is I don't see/can't find a replacement for just the arm...

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just went through this with my 2011. I checked everything and the upper door had the gears stripped off from it that the whole HVAC distribution box is attached to. Unfortunately I could not locate just the replacement door and needed to replace the whole distribution box which involves removal of the whole dash. Part cost me about $150 bucks and about 6.5 hours of work to remove the dash and replace everything back to normal.

There is a design flaw with the boxes as the factory seals around the doors end up melting under the high heat with the heater core inside the distribution box. Which in turn makes the doors unable to move which the actuator than breaks the gears off. I have talked to several people that have the same issue.

It should also be noted that the brake light switch twisted and popped off when removing the dash. It got late when I was replacing it and everything functioned as it should as far as brake lights went and I reinstalled it... I know I know it says not to but I could not call into work today.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:15 am 
LOST Newbie

I have much the same problem and have managed to survive with low heat output and acceptable volume of air flow. Have noticed that as the temperature control is turned toward most hot, the volume of air moving through the system reduces significantly. Any ideas what might be going on?
Might it be possible to put the mode and blend doors in the proper position manually? Leave in hot temp for the winter?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yep I have a 2011 KK and had the Mode actuator replaced by the local dealer and it worked for 2 weeks and now it is not working again.
Really not looking forward to paying for almost 7 hours of labor.
So It works halfassed and I will have to put up with it until I can afford to either buy a service manual and do the job my self or just leave it.