It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Compressing Springs Tommudd's Econo 3.5" Lift Kit KK OME
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi everyone. I bought Tommudd's Econo 3.5" Lift Kit KK OME and forgot to get the struts pre-assembled. I know I can get the spring compressors from Autozone and put them together myself but doing that honestly makes me really nervous. Is this generally safe if I do it with manual wrenches and take it slow?

I was thinking about taking the struts to a shop and having them put together for me but if I do that will I still need the spring compressor to get the old struts off?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I've never done anything more complicated than replace the brake pads so putting this kit on myself is a pretty big undertaking.

Post subject: Re: Compressing Springs Tommudd's Econo 3.5" Lift Kit KK OME
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

I was in the same boat as you when I did my OME lift. Had never done anything that complicated before...actually it's not that complicated...You do not need a sprint compressor to take off the old struts.

I highly recommend taking your struts to someone to have them taken apart - you need parts from the old ones to make up the new ones - and have them assemble the new ones. I did this myself with spring compressors and it was a huge pain in the rear. If I were to do this again I would pull the old struts and take them and the new struts and springs to a shop and have them assembly the new ones. Doing that makes the whole job a relative breeze. The hardest part is getting some of the bolts loose but that is just a combination of anti-seize and force.

There is a step-by-step in the tech section that is very helpful. Let me know if you can't find it and I see if I can find it for you.

Art

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:08 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

artart wrote:
I was in the same boat as you when I did my OME lift. Had never done anything that complicated before...actually it's not that complicated...You do not need a sprint compressor to take off the old struts.

I highly recommend taking your struts to someone to have them taken apart - you need parts from the old ones to make up the new ones - and have them assemble the new ones. I did this myself with spring compressors and it was a huge pain in the rear. If I were to do this again I would pull the old struts and take them and the new struts and springs to a shop and have them assembly the new ones. Doing that makes the whole job a relative breeze. The hardest part is getting some of the bolts loose but that is just a combination of anti-seize and force.

There is a step-by-step in the tech section that is very helpful. Let me know if you can't find it and I see if I can find it for you.

Art

^^^^ Ditto

Just make sure you find a shop that can do it and make arrangements for the day you plan on installing.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:27 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

NEVER use those spring compressors from the Zone and others, do not fit right and do not have the pwoer to compress them
Over 50 Liberty lifts done and all were taken to a shop to be compressed by someone else. I value my head too much to try them cheap ones. Buddy tried it years back, sadly no longer with us

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:52 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Yeah they're right up there with split-ring truck rims. Saw one of those come loose and take the ring, wheel, tire, tube, and the safety cage they were being aired up in, higher than the hood of the Mack they came off of. Wasn't a fatality, but sure could have been.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks guys! I will definitely try to find a place to take them to then. I just got everything in today so I will start working on it after Christmas. Going to be out of town all next week but I'm excited to get started.
I'm going to be using these instructions and this video I found on youtube. It looks like instructions for the A-Arms are included in the box. Anything else I should be aware of?

viewtopic.php?f=104&t=41880

https://youtu.be/MYSdDJq_uXQ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:04 pm 

Not that good of a video