It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Evap is a nightmare I need help
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey guys been a while but I'm having problems still/again,
So it started with the heck engine light going off then every once in a while the dash would say "gas cap" so I changed the gas cap and that didn't do anything, so I just left it alone the the last couple weeks I have been smelling gas occasionally while standing or walking by the rear driver side quarter panel. I could smell it stronger underneath the jeep than by the gas cap... so today I went to see if anything was lose or broken and ended up breaking the joint of the gas cap breather tube that comes from the gas tank and plugged it (does anyone know the replacement part for what I broke??? It's the white plastic piece that all the evap stuff plugs into.)

Can anyone help me with were or what to check???? I talked to the dealer and it's $160 just to look at the evap system. Would rather buy parts over paying them...

Any help would be fantastic

Post subject: Re: Evap is a nightmare I need help
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If I remember correctly,sorry been awhile since I've done a KK fuel pump,but that requires a complete gas tank replacement and that's about $600+ for the tank alone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:33 am 
LOST Addict

JeepMonkey190, what year is your KK? Mine's an 08 and I had the entire gas tank replaced under warranty for a fuel spitback problem during fill ups. Chrysler extended the warranty on the fuel tank to lifetime under the fuel spitback TSB. If you’ve been having this issue at all, that would be a way to get a free gas tank replacement and solve both problems at once. Here’s info on the TSB:

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=74432

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

lfhoward wrote:
JeepMonkey190, what year is your KK? Mine's an 08 and I had the entire gas tank replaced under warranty for a fuel spitback problem during fill ups. Chrysler extended the warranty on the fuel tank to lifetime under the fuel spitback TSB. If you’ve been having this issue at all, that would be a way to get a free gas tank replacement and solve both problems at once. Here’s info on the TSB:

It's a 2011... has anyone with newer Libby had success with this yet?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JeepMonkey190 wrote:
lfhoward wrote:

That would be fraud and they will test the system before hand anyways. Besides your not covered under that TSB warranty extension.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:50 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
JeepMonkey190 wrote:
lfhoward wrote:

That would be fraud and they will test the system before hand anyways. Besides your not covered under that TSB warranty extension.

Not suggesting fraud, just suggesting a way of solving 2 problems at once if he was having any fuel spitback issues with the original tank.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
JeepMonkey190 wrote:

Not suggesting fraud, just suggesting a way of solving 2 problems at once if he was having any fuel spitback issues with the original tank.[/quote]

The fuel spit up wasn't every time but it was happening before the check engine light, plus it's not fraud if corporate jeep says to change under warranty/callback

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So if anyone is still following this thread I finally figured out the evap system check engine light I was getting, the bigger tube coming out of the evap purge valve going to the back of the jeep had a hole in it from where a wiring harness crossed over where it 90* down the firewall. The whole was many years of rubbing from the plastic corrugated cover they wrap the harnesses in. Went to jeep and they actually had the replacement in stock and for only $30 so the engine light turned off after one mile and also no gas cap message either