It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Successful TIPM replacement without dealership involvement
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

So, I'll start off by saying this is my first post, so hi everybody! I apologise if this is in the wrong place, I just wanted to outline my experiences with the TIPM, as they varied greatly from everything I read.

For months I dealt with issues on my '09 KK (coolant gauge malfunctioning, power locks not working, and finally the washer pump not running), and can confirm that a TIPM swap fixed it (still unsure about the gauge, it was intermittent). I was quoted $800 for a new one, plus programming cost. I was told by the dealership that they could program a used one, but if it failed prematurely I'd be out the programming cost (an amount that they couldn't tell me). I read online ( http://www.verticalvisions.com/TIPM_used.php ) that I could put in an identical unit (numeric portion of the model) and program it myself.

Quote:
-Reconnect all cable harness connectors to the bottom of the TIPM. Connectors are color coded. Secure each connector with the integrated locking clips.
-Move the TIPM downward until the plastic clips on the front and back are secured to the vehicle.
-Reconnect the positive (red) battery connection to the threaded stud located in the upper left corner of your TIPM. Tighten the hex bolt.
-Reconnect the negative cable to the battery negative (-) post.
-Insert your key into the vehicle ignition and turn it to the RUN position for 12 seconds. Do NOT start the vehicle. The TIPM will then obtain the necessary vehicle configuration and VIN data from the CCN and PCM.
-Turn your key to the off position.
-Attempt to start the vehicle.

Off to the junkyard. Of course, the KK not being very common around here, the exact same model was out, but I figured if I could at least get it into accessory with a used TIPM from something else, I might be able to confirm the source of my problems. I pulled the TIPM from a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan (appears identical in layout, however I did this standing in a foot of snow, so I haven't looked too closely at the legend inside the lid, just snapped on my old one). I followed the installation steps linked above, and everything worked. Power locks, wipers, I even double checked 4wd, including 4LO, and I didn't lose any features in the process. Total cost of a TIPM replacement, $27.01 CAD, and 30 minutes of my time (part-picking included).

Only drawbacks I have noticed so far are that all "key dance" settings that had been changed (honk on unlock, unlock driver door first, etc) were taken from the donor vehicle, and that my headlights no longer go off when I lock the doors with the fob (I'm assuming this was changed with the EVIC, which I don't have, help would be appreciated here.

For reference, the TIPM models were as follows:
09 KK: 04692300AB
08 Grand Caravan: 56049720AR

Post subject: Re: Successful TIPM replacement without dealership involveme
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:53 pm 
LOST Addict

This is really encouraging news! I’m sure anyone who is experiencing TIPM malfunctions would be glad to know they don’t have to spend $1000 or more for a replacement. I’ve seen eBay sellers that have refurbished TIPMs for around $250 who claim a dealer program is not needed. Your story seems to confirm that.

On Jeeps without EVIC, you can still program some automatic features. While the headlight delay isn’t one, you can still turn off the honk when lock with the remote, and change other automatic locking features. I got the following from my 08’s owners manual:

Quote:
To Unlock the Doors and Liftgate: Press and release the Unlock button on the transmitter once to unlock the driver's door, or twice to unlock all doors and the liftgate. The turn signal lights will flash to acknowledge the unlock signal. The illuminated entry system will also turn on.

Remote Key Unlock, Driver Door/All Doors First This feature lets you program the system to unlock either the driver's door or all doors and the liftgate on the first press of the Unlock button on the transmitter. To change the current setting, proceed as follows:

• For vehicles equipped with the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC), refer to ªRemote Key Unlock,º under ªPersonal Settings (Customer Pro-grammable Features),º under ªElectronic Vehicle In-formation Center (EVIC)º in Section 4 of this manual

• For vehicles not equipped with the EVIC, perform the following steps:

1. Press and hold the Lock button on a programmed (i.e. functional) transmitter for at least 4 seconds, but no longer than 10 seconds. Then, press and hold the Unlock button while still holding the Lock button.

2. Release both buttons at the same time.

3. Test the feature from outside the vehicle by pressing the Lock and Unlock buttons on the transmitter.

4. Repeat these steps if you want to return this feature to its previous setting.

NOTE: Pressing the Lock button on the transmitter while you are inside the vehicle will activate the Security Alarm. Opening a door with the Security Alarm activated will cause the alarm to sound. Press the Unlock button to deactivate the Security Alarm.

Illuminated Approach Ð If Equipped This feature activates the headlights for up to 90 seconds when the doors are unlocked with the transmitter. The time for this feature is programmable on vehicles equipped with the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC). For details, refer to ªIllumination Approach,º under ªPersonal Settings (Customer Programmable Fea-tures),º under ªElectronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)º in Section 4 of this manual.

To Lock the Doors and Liftgate: Press and release the Lock button on the transmitter to lock all doors and the liftgate. The turn signal lights will flash and the horn will chirp to acknowledge the lock signal.

Sound Horn with Lock This feature will cause the horn to chirp when the doors are locked with the transmitter. This feature can be turned on or turned off. To change the current setting, proceed as follows:

• For vehicles equipped with the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC), refer to ªSound Horn with Remote Key Lock,º under ªPersonal Settings (Cus-tomer Programmable Features),º under ªElectronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)º in Section 4 of this manual.

1. Press the Lock button on a programmed (i.e. func-tional) transmitter for at least 4 seconds, but no longer than 10 seconds. Then, press the Panic button while still holding the Lock button.

3. Test the feature from outside the vehicle by pressing the Lock button on the transmitter.

4. Repeat these steps if you want to return this feature to its previous setting.

NOTE: Pressing the Lock button on the transmitter while you are inside the vehicle will activate the Security Alarm. Opening a door with the Security Alarm activated will cause the alarm to sound. Press the Unlock button to deactivate the Security Alarm.

Flash Lights with Lock The feature will cause the turn signal lights to flash when the doors are locked or unlocked with the transmitter. This feature can be turned on or turned off. To change the current setting, proceed as follows:

• For vehicles equipped with the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC), refer to ªFlash Lights with Remote Key Lock,º under 9Personal Settings (Cus-tomer Programmable Features),º under ªElectronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)º in Section 4 of this manual.

1. Press and hold the Unlock button on a programmed (i.e. functional) transmitter for at least 4 seconds, but no longer than 10 seconds. Then, press and hold the Lock button while still holding the Unlock button.

3. Test the feature from outside the vehicle by pressing the Lock and Unlock buttons on the transmitter.

Quote:
Automatic Door Locks Programming The Automatic Door Locks feature can be enabled or disabled as follows:

Automatic Door Locks The doors will lock automatically on vehicles with power door locks if all of the following conditions are met:

1. The Automatic Door Locks feature is enabled.

2. The transmission is in gear.

3. All doors are closed.

4. The throttle is pressed.

5. The vehicle speed is above 15 mph (24 km/h).

6. The doors were not previously locked using the power door lock switch or remote keyless entry transmitter.

• For vehicles equipped with the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC), refer to ªPersonal Settings (Customer Programmable Features)º under ªElec-tronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)º in Section 4 of this manual for details.

• For vehicles not equipped with the EVIC, performing the following procedure:

1. Close all doors and place the key in the ignition.

2. Cycle the ignition switch between LOCK and ON and then back to LOCK 4 times ending up in the LOCK position.

3. Depress the power door lock switch to lock the doors.

4. A single chime will indicate the completion of the programming.

5. Repeat these steps if you want to return this feature to its previous setting.

NOTE: Use the Automatic Door Locks feature in accor-dance with local laws.

Automatic Unlock Doors on Exit The doors will unlock automatically on vehicles with power door locks if:

1. The Automatic Unlock Doors On Exit feature is en-abled.

2. The transmission was in gear and the vehicle speed returned to 0 mph (0 km/h).

3. The transmission is in ªNº (Neutral) or ªPº (Park)

4. The driver door is opened.

5. The doors were not previously unlocked.

6. The vehicle speed is 0 mph (0 km/h).

Automatic Unlock Doors on Exit Programming The Automatic Unlock Doors On Exit feature can be enabled or disabled as follows:

• For vehicles equipped with the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC), refer to ªPersonal Settings (Customer Programmable Features)º under ªElec-tronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)º in Section 4 of this manual for details.

2. Cycle the ignition switch between LOCK and ON and then back to LOCK 4 times ending up in the LOCK position.

3. Depress the power door unlock switch to unlock the doors.

5. Repeat these steps if you want to return this feature to its previous setting.

NOTE: Use the Automatic Unlock Doors On Exit feature in accordance with local laws.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:
This is really encouraging news! I’m sure anyone who is experiencing TIPM malfunctions would be glad to know they don’t have to spend $1000 or more for a replacement. I’ve seen eBay sellers that have refurbished TIPMs for around $250 who claim a dealer program is not needed. Your story seems to confirm that.

On Jeeps without EVIC, you can still program some automatic features. While the headlight delay isn’t one, you can still turn off the honk when lock with the remote, and change other automatic locking features. I got the following from my 08’s owners manual:

Quote:
To Unlock the Doors and Liftgate: Press and release the Unlock button on the transmitter once to unlock the driver's door, or twice to unlock all doors and the liftgate. The turn signal lights will flash to acknowledge the unlock signal. The illuminated entry system will also turn on.

Remote Key Unlock, Driver Door/All Doors First This feature lets you program the system to unlock either the driver's door or all doors and the liftgate on the first press of the Unlock button on the transmitter. To change the current setting, proceed as follows:

• For vehicles equipped with the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC), refer to ªRemote Key Unlock,º under ªPersonal Settings (Customer Pro-grammable Features),º under ªElectronic Vehicle In-formation Center (EVIC)º in Section 4 of this manual

1. Press and hold the Lock button on a programmed (i.e. functional) transmitter for at least 4 seconds, but no longer than 10 seconds. Then, press and hold the Unlock button while still holding the Lock button.

Illuminated Approach Ð If Equipped This feature activates the headlights for up to 90 seconds when the doors are unlocked with the transmitter. The time for this feature is programmable on vehicles equipped with the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC). For details, refer to ªIllumination Approach,º under ªPersonal Settings (Customer Programmable Fea-tures),º under ªElectronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)º in Section 4 of this manual.

To Lock the Doors and Liftgate: Press and release the Lock button on the transmitter to lock all doors and the liftgate. The turn signal lights will flash and the horn will chirp to acknowledge the lock signal.

Sound Horn with Lock This feature will cause the horn to chirp when the doors are locked with the transmitter. This feature can be turned on or turned off. To change the current setting, proceed as follows:

• For vehicles equipped with the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC), refer to ªSound Horn with Remote Key Lock,º under ªPersonal Settings (Cus-tomer Programmable Features),º under ªElectronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)º in Section 4 of this manual.

1. Press the Lock button on a programmed (i.e. func-tional) transmitter for at least 4 seconds, but no longer than 10 seconds. Then, press the Panic button while still holding the Lock button.

3. Test the feature from outside the vehicle by pressing the Lock button on the transmitter.

Flash Lights with Lock The feature will cause the turn signal lights to flash when the doors are locked or unlocked with the transmitter. This feature can be turned on or turned off. To change the current setting, proceed as follows:

• For vehicles equipped with the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC), refer to ªFlash Lights with Remote Key Lock,º under 9Personal Settings (Cus-tomer Programmable Features),º under ªElectronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)º in Section 4 of this manual.

1. Press and hold the Unlock button on a programmed (i.e. functional) transmitter for at least 4 seconds, but no longer than 10 seconds. Then, press and hold the Lock button while still holding the Unlock button.

Quote:
Automatic Door Locks Programming The Automatic Door Locks feature can be enabled or disabled as follows:

Automatic Door Locks The doors will lock automatically on vehicles with power door locks if all of the following conditions are met:

1. The Automatic Door Locks feature is enabled.

2. The transmission is in gear.

3. All doors are closed.

4. The throttle is pressed.

5. The vehicle speed is above 15 mph (24 km/h).

6. The doors were not previously locked using the power door lock switch or remote keyless entry transmitter.

3. Depress the power door lock switch to lock the doors.

NOTE: Use the Automatic Door Locks feature in accor-dance with local laws.

Automatic Unlock Doors on Exit The doors will unlock automatically on vehicles with power door locks if:

1. The Automatic Unlock Doors On Exit feature is en-abled.

2. The transmission was in gear and the vehicle speed returned to 0 mph (0 km/h).

3. The transmission is in ªNº (Neutral) or ªPº (Park)

4. The driver door is opened.

5. The doors were not previously unlocked.

6. The vehicle speed is 0 mph (0 km/h).

Automatic Unlock Doors on Exit Programming The Automatic Unlock Doors On Exit feature can be enabled or disabled as follows:

3. Depress the power door unlock switch to unlock the doors.

NOTE: Use the Automatic Unlock Doors On Exit feature in accordance with local laws.
Thank you for the key programming combinations, but this is exactly what I had found already. I configured everything and then reprogrammed it on the new TIPM. I'm hoping for a way to restore the headlight delay to factory without the EVIC, everything else is the way I like it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Remove TIPM ?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi Folks

Is it possible to totally remove/disable the TIPM?
I live on a sand island and always run about 20 psi unless I head to the mainland.
So I get nagged to death by gongs and lights.

Caravan mods

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:30 pm 
LOST Addict

I think you’re referring to TPMS (Tire pressure monitoring sensors) not TIPM (totally integrated power module). This thread is about the latter.

I don’t think there is any way to turn off the warning lights and chimes for low air pressure. I have heard of someone removing the sensors from the wheels and putting them inside a sealed pipe with a Schaefer valve on it, and fooling the computer by pumping up the air pressure in the pipe to 36 psi. They carried the pipe full of sensors around in their trunk.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Smiko, wrong acronym. TIPM = Totally Integrated Power Module.
Your thinking of TPMS = Tire Pressure Monitor System.
Short answer to your question is no.
TPMS is required by law in all vehicles built after 2007. With this in mind, CDJ designed the TPMS wiring in such a way that it can not be disabled without also disabling the rig.
I have looked into this extensively, but to no avail.

The "tube" lfhoward suggested only works if the sensors don't go to sleep. Which they are programmed to do when not rotating in the wheel(to conserve the battery). And you would have to place each one in a separate tube located close enough to the transceivers in the wheel wells for them to be picked up in the correct location. If 1 transceiver picks up more then one sensor, the system gets confused and Ding, ding, ding, flashing light.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:41 pm 
LOST Addict

Sounds like you should disregard the tube idea. I couldn’t find the original post from many years ago, so maybe it was a hairbrained scheme that was never actually tried or never really worked. Scar0 knows his electrical stuff, so I would heed his advice on this one.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:59 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
And hey! Nothing quite so exiting as packing a few mini pipe bombs around in your car! Especially if you get searched for some reason...

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set