It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stuck in 4LO after off roading
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:03 am 
LOST Newbie

It's been a few months since this happened. Took the wife and accompanied some friends up to Bundy Hill in MI for some off roading. Was pleasantly surprised at how well the Libby did on the harder trails with stock suspension and 245/70/16's.
When we went to leave the Libby was stuck in 4LO. All I remember was the 4LO flashing.I could not get it into 2wd or 4Auto at all. Restarted few times. Let is sit for a bit. I thrashed pretty hard including running it through muddy water. I was in a panic. this sis the 2nd time I took it on trails. Never happened the first time. Finally after limping to a parking lot. My buddy had some tools and I took the skid plate out from under transfer case to see if I can manually do something when he suggested I disconnect the battery. I was like might as well try that. Nothing to lose. Well it worked. Coul hear something move and into 2wd it went.

Anyone have similar situation? Could it be I overheated something? My tranny temps didn't go up and were around 170F+ thoughout the session. I have a Scangauge 2 setup to read ATF temps.

Post subject: Re: Stuck in 4LO after off roading
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:54 am 
LOST Newbie

Yes that same thing happened to me, and it was only 4 HI, and only a bit of a rough road . After reading the manual I just drove home in 4 HI. It sorted itself after the next start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:37 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Use it on a regular basis , find a dirt road, gravel parking lot etc and lock it in etc.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:03 pm 
LOST Junkie

I've posted on this subject in the past, I'm not 100% certain if it applies to your scenario or not but the last time I worked with somebody on this it was simply a matter of not shifting to Neutral to allow 4lo to disengage properly

for example, if I was to flip my selector switch from 2wd to 4lo while in drive all it would do is make the 4low light blink. it wouldn't engage. the second I slowed down and shifted to Neutral it would make the selections.

I hope this information helps.