It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Experience with JBA 2.5 Lifts?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger for my first mod on my 2010 KK - the lift. While I don't really want to spend $2,500, I also don't want to buy throw-away parts and find myself not satisfied. The kits that seem to be coming to the top of my list are the 2.5 options from JBA. I'd love to hear about any experiences or thoughts y'all have on any of them. The three that I'm actively debating are:

- JBA 2.5 Silver
- JBA 2.5 Silver with upgraded JBA Total Control Shocks
- JBA 2.5 Gold

(http://jeepinbyal.com/liberty-2008-2012-kk/jba-suspension-systems-kk/jba-2-50-kk-liberty-lift-kit.html)

Questions I have:
- Is 2.5 enough?
- Can I safely/easily add another 1/2 or 1 inch to the JBA kits with spacers?
- What tire sizes is recommended with factory 17 inch wheels?
- Would spacers be a good idea with one of these kits and factory wheels?

Thanks so much!!!

MDH
-------------
2010 Liberty Limited (KK)

Post subject: Re: Experience with JBA 2.5 Lifts?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:50 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

mdh wrote:
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger for my first mod on my 2010 KK - the lift. While I don't really want to spend $2,500, I also don't want to buy throw-away parts and find myself not satisfied. The kits that seem to be coming to the top of my list are the 2.5 options from JBA. I'd love to hear about any experiences or thoughts y'all have on any of them. The three that I'm actively debating are:

- JBA 2.5 Silver
- JBA 2.5 Silver with upgraded JBA Total Control Shocks
- JBA 2.5 Gold

(http://jeepinbyal.com/liberty-2008-2012-kk/jba-suspension-systems-kk/jba-2-50-kk-liberty-lift-kit.html)

Questions I have:
- Is 2.5 enough? what is your definition of enough? You can run 245-75-16s or 265-70-16s ( same height ) with 2.5 inches any more and need to regear
- Can I safely/easily add another 1/2 or 1 inch to the JBA kits with spacers? WHY? You can crank the front end up to 4 inches if you want, with the Total control rear shocks , 2.5 is the limit
- What tire sizes is recommended with factory 17 inch wheels? with 17 inch look for a 30-30.5 inch tall tire
- Would spacers be a good idea with one of these kits and factory wheels? I don't like spacers personally, I would rather buy wheels that bolt on, give the right backspacing and width, good adapters cost as much as some wheels

Thanks so much!!!

MDH
-------------

I ran the 4 inch silver on the 2004 ( same suspension in front as your KK and rear shocks are the same ) for over 90,000 miles
I have the Total Control with adjustable rear shocks on my 03 , have about 35,000 on them so far.
I have an 05 that will be going that same route soon
Once I started running the JBA coilovers nothing else compares
With that said I've installed over 50 Liberty lifts, most OME springs with either Bilstein or OME shocks
While a huge difference again nothing compares to the ride or handling of the coilovers

If you think you want 3 inches just crank up the fronts and install one extra isolater per side in the rear , instant 3 inches But of course not with the TC rear shocks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:

If you think you want 3 inches just crank up the fronts and install one extra isolater per side in the rear , instant 3 inches But of course not with the TC rear shocks

Thanks for the thorough reply!

Because this is my first, I'm not 100% sure what I mean by enough. I guess I'm wondering if 2.5 provides enough that it a) improves ground clearance to be helpful on trails and b) looks like a tougher vehicle.

Eventually, I plan to add front and rear bumpers from ATH plus a winch. It's my understanding that the front coilovers will adjust nicely to address the additional front weight.

As for the rear. Let's assume that I'm going to do as you suggested with the isolaters in the rear. Would you recommend a longer 7100 Bilstein and heavier rear springs (planning ahead for the extra weight)?

MDH
-------------

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My KA was the prototype for the 2.5" lift (similar to the OME kit), with A-arms. Same kit is used on the KK.
I have since gone to the Adjust-A-Strut 2.5" on the front(= Silver without extra shock reservoirs).
Been running that set up for 7 years and absolutely love it.
The ride and handling is absolutely superb.

The reason I went 2.5" is it gives me the best of both worlds. With the 2.5", the inside of the front axle shafts are sitting just above level with the hubs. This gives me both up and down flex ability. A-arms = no spring contact when the front tire drops in a hole.

On the rear I did not have to worry about an adjustable track bar. Not enough side
"kick out" to need it. And no drive shaft rub on the fuel tank when flexing(no aftermarket drive line needed).

I have since added a winch plate and 12,000 Lb winch and the front was easily adjustable to compensate for the extra weight.

I gained 2.5" with the lift and 1/2"+- with the over sized tires. P245/70R17 BFG T/A KO2 on stock rims. 30.5" diameter with 0 rubbing.

It does everything I want it to do.

You couldn't pay me to run any other lift. JBA is top notch.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:21 am 
LOST Junkie

I love my jba lift. Had it since March on my 03.

L.O.S.T. #31000

'03 KJ Freedom Edition - 4" JBA Coilover Lift w/ 32" Cooper STT PROs
'98 XJ Sport - 6" Full-Traction 4-Link Long Arm - Jeepspeed #2731 (Race Jeep)

DobermanRacing.com - Team Driver
Sponsored by UltRanger & CellTech

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:51 pm 
LOST Addict

X2. Mine has been on since 60K miles back in March of '13. I now have 150K+ on the Jeep and it is still awesome. A couple of people with the 4" JBA lift (not me though) have reported steering rack problems. Not sure why it sometimes happens wit 4" lifted KK's, but I don't remember ever reading of that occurring with the 2.5 inch kit on a KK. (or 4" lifted KJ's for that matter.)

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:
X2. Mine has been on since 60K miles back in March of '13. I now have 150K+ on the Jeep and it is still awesome. A couple of people with the 4" JBA lift (not me though) have reported steering rack problems. Not sure why it sometimes happens wit 4" lifted KK's, but I don't remember ever reading of that occurring with the 2.5 inch kit on a KK. (or 4" lifted KJ's for that matter.)

ifhoward, thanks for your input. What size tires are you running with your 4" lift?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:40 pm 
LOST Addict

I’m running 245/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs, load range C. These are about 30.5” in diameter (essentially 31’s). Stock is 225/75R16 or 29” diameter. Technically I could fit 265/75R16’s (32’s) with the 4” lift but I would need to regear in order to have any power or reasonable gas mileage with those.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:02 am 
LOST Newbie

JBA 2.5" Silver here with rear Total Control option.

It was time for a suspension overhaul (ball joints and bushings included), so did it right- and so glad I did. Steering, articulation, speed bump handling- all superb. Better than I thought possible.

I don't do much rocky off road, so cutting down front shafts and such for another 1.5" just didn't appeal to me (yet?). In total, the 2.5" kit gave me 3", since my stock suspension was shot.

Got new lower control arms (with new bushings installed) and Moog LBJs through JBA too. When I did the math, and knowing the additional work I intended too, the Silver kit seemed right for me.

Just added my backbone with a new 10k Smittybuilt, so will be cranking up the front to level out again later in the week (sweet adjustment perk).

I'm Running Michelin XT2 - 235/75 R16s. I run mostly highway and city, with a bit of fire road and forest trail. Tire and size feels perfect for my needs with no need to regear.
ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk