It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Front Tire Noise After Lift
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just finished installing Tommudd's Econo 3.5" Lift Kit and took it for a test drive. I'm getting what sounds like the front tires squealing a little when I get to around 50 MPH. I felt the front tires after I parked it and they were way hotter than normal so something is off.

Will an alignment solve this or does anybody have an idea of what I may have done wrong?

Post subject: Re: Front Tire Noise After Lift
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:04 pm 
LOST Addict

Yes, get it an alignment ASAP. You’re putting pressure on the outsides of your front tires, plus they are scrubbing because they are toe in. Lifting even a little changes the IFS geometry and 3.5” is a lot of change. There’s a lot of uneven tire wear happening now. It’s also wonky to drive until aligned because you have less contact with the road and less control around corners. A good alignment will put your tires straight again and flat on the pavement. Then do a tire rotation every time you change your oil. Congrats on your new lift!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

It is at the shop right now and they are saying that they cannot adjust the lower control arms enough to get it aligned. How are people getting around this problem?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:09 pm 
LOST Addict

IIRC, of the three aspects of an alignment, camber, caster, and toe, the one that can be sacrificed a little to get the other two into alignment is the caster. (Tjkj or Tom, please correct me on this if that’s wrong...) The other thing that comes to mind is about the upper control arms. Do you have JBA upper A arms with your kit? It is much harder to get a good alignment above 3” of lift if you still have the stock UCA’s. I don’t remember if JBA UCA’s come with the kit or not.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

I do have the JBA upper control arms. I brought it to 4 wheel parts and I think it is just them not knowing how to do it. They said that there is no caster on an IFS vehicle and that the lower control arms are way too short for getting camber and toe back to specs with it lifted.

I called JBA customer support and he said that they should be able to get camber and toe perfect but caster will be off. I guess I'll have to find another shop to take it to. Sucks that this one is going to cost me $100.