It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is 500-550 RPM too Low for a 3.7?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi All, this is my inaugural post so if it's no good, mods feel free to take it down.
The title is pretty much the question, when I'm sitting in city traffic for example (in DRIVE), the revs sometime drop as low as 500 RPM and then come up to 550 or maybe 600. The vibration changes, although I know 90 degree V6's have a natural tendency to shake and vibrate even more than a regular V6.
It doesn't creep much either, I usually have to give it a little bit of gas to roll, but that seems to be par for the course from what I've read. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

- Dan :JEEPIN:

Post subject: Re: Is 500-550 RPM too Low for a 3.7?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:25 am 
LOST Newbie

I don't think you have much to worry about. I have the same 3.7 in my 2006 and I have exactly what you describe. I have 171k on mine and it's always done that. And if it drops to the 500 range, I do get a rough idle. Done that since the day I got it when it had 44k miles on it. From everything I read, it idles rough like that because when they designed the 3.7, they basically took the V8 version of the PowerTech and hacked off 2 cylinders. It really should be 60 degrees to balance it out. Either way, I have no complaints about the engine. I've done the routine stuff on schedule and the worst I've ever had was a leaky water pump which took me about 15 minutes to replace, and I'd say my skill level is novice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:32 am 
LOST Newbie

That's really good to know, thanks a lot! :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have a KA, but same 3.7 you guys have.
Mine has also "hiccuped" as I call it, at idol since the day I picked it up new with 33 miles on it.
The idol will drop, rig will shake a little(like its going to die), RPMs jump back up and all is good for the rest of the trip.
For me it happens maybe once every few weeks. With no rhyme or reason to it.
The first few times it happened, I was concerned about it. Now I have gotten used to it, more or less. It has never died on me.
You could try cleaning the throttle body. Sometimes the carbon buildup will cause it to stick a little.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!