It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear Coil Springs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

So I've recently been poking around reading about various suspension components and got to measuring the stance on my jeep. After realizing my passenger rear is sagging 1" below the drivers side I got curious and started looking into shocks and springs. That's when I realized that I can't find any rear coil springs for the KK.

Now, yes, I've found lifted springs by OME and JBA etc. but where are the stock height springs? I can find Mopar and Moog stock sized springs for the JK but nothing for the KK. I thought maybe the springs for the JK are the same for the KK but read somewhere that they're different. Is this true?

Asking out of curiosity. Perhaps I've just missed something but I can't believe I can find a stock replacement for every other component except for the actual spring itself.

Stock.... for now 8)

Post subject: Rear Coil Springs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:06 am 
LOST Newbie

Could be because almost anything else would be better than a stock spring. :) Image But seriously they suck.

Post subject: Re: Rear Coil Springs
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:33 am 
LOST Newbie

TMG64 wrote:
So I've recently been poking around reading about various suspension components and got to measuring the stance on my jeep. After realizing my passenger rear is sagging 1" below the drivers side I got curious and started looking into shocks and springs. That's when I realized that I can't find any rear coil springs for the KK.

Now, yes, I've found lifted springs by OME and JBA etc. but where are the stock height springs? I can find Mopar and Moog stock sized springs for the JK but nothing for the KK. I thought maybe the springs for the JK are the same for the KK but read somewhere that they're different. Is this true?

Asking out of curiosity. Perhaps I've just missed something but I can't believe I can find a stock replacement for every other component except for the actual spring itself.

Did you ever find a place to purchase replacement OEM rear coil springs? I am looking for a set too.

I found a bunch of part #s but I don't know which is the correct one.

16 SPRING, Rear Coil

PART #
52125553AA 1 J, T, U 74 [SDA+ZCV,ZRV]
52125554AA 1 J, T, U 74 [SDA+ZCW,ZRW]
52125551AA 1 J, T, U 74 [SDA+ZCT,ZRT]
52125552AA 1 J, T, U 74 [SDA+ZCU,ZRU]
52125555AA 1 J, T, U 74 [SDA+ZCX,ZRX]
52125556AA 1 J, T, U 74 [SDA+ZCY,ZRY]
68034671AA 1 J, T, U 74 [SDM+ZCT,ZRT]
68034672AA 1 J, T, U 74 [SDM+ZCU,ZRU]
68034673AA 1 J, T, U 74 [SDM+ZCV,ZRV]
68034674AA 1 J, T, U 74 [SDM+ZCW,ZRW]
68034675AA 1 J, T, U 74 [SDM+ZCX,ZRX]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

gt5oh wrote:

Did you ever find a place to purchase replacement OEM rear coil springs? I am looking for a set too.

16 SPRING, Rear Coil

PART #

To know which ones you need, you need to know the [sales codes] for your build.
SDA = Normal Duty Suspension
SDM = Export Tuned Suspension
+ ZCV = Spring - Left Rear, Or ZRV = Spring - Right Rear
+ ZCW = Spring - Left Rear, Or ZRW = Spring - Right Rear
+ ZCT = Spring - Left Rear, Or ZRT = Spring - Right Rear
+ ZCU =Spring - Left Rear, Or ZRU = Spring - Right Rear
+ ZCX = Spring - Left Rear, Or ZRX = Spring - Right Rear
+ ZCY = Spring - Left Rear, Or ZRY = Spring - Right Rear

As you can see each spring can be used in either location.
For proper ride height you need to know which one to use where, for your particular build.
IE;
ZCV = My Left Rear, But ZRU = My Right Rear.
Do not assume your build is the same as mine...

Not all OEM springs are created equal, in length, or rate, or both. Which is why a lot of folks that lift with = rear springs, find one corner that sits just a hair lower than the other side.

If you go to a dealer with your VIN, mileage, and prof of ownership, they can print out an "Options Report"(build sheet) for your rig. Some may charge a small fee for this...
One last thing. The Options Report may have an extra letter by the code. So in my case ZRUP is really ZRU and ZCVP is really ZCV. Not sure why they do this. :juggle:
Hope this sheds a little light on things.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Scar0 wrote:
gt5oh wrote:

16 SPRING, Rear Coil

PART #

To know which ones you need, you need to know the [sales codes] for your build.
SDA = Normal Duty Suspension
SDM = Export Tuned Suspension
+ ZCV = Spring - Left Rear, Or ZRV = Spring - Right Rear
+ ZCW = Spring - Left Rear, Or ZRW = Spring - Right Rear
+ ZCT = Spring - Left Rear, Or ZRT = Spring - Right Rear
+ ZCU =Spring - Left Rear, Or ZRU = Spring - Right Rear
+ ZCX = Spring - Left Rear, Or ZRX = Spring - Right Rear
+ ZCY = Spring - Left Rear, Or ZRY = Spring - Right Rear

As you can see each spring can be used in either location.
For proper ride height you need to know which one to use where, for your particular build.
IE;
ZCV = My Left Rear, But ZRU = My Right Rear.
Do not assume your build is the same as mine...

Not all OEM springs are created equal, in length, or rate, or both. Which is why a lot of folks that lift with = rear springs, find one corner that sits just a hair lower than the other side.

If you go to a dealer with your VIN, mileage, and prof of ownership, they can print out an "Options Report"(build sheet) for your rig. Some may charge a small fee for this...
One last thing. The Options Report may have an extra letter by the code. So in my case ZRUP is really ZRU and ZCVP is really ZCV. Not sure why they do this. :juggle:
Hope this sheds a little light on things.

Thanks, is there any other place to find the sales code besides the dealer?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

unless you are trying to cheap out get OEM stuff at the MOPAR website - its a little less than at the dealer. But also consider the shipping costs.

The ARB website has all the spring and strut specs as pdfs. It took me a little while to find them (and it was likely not obvious)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

gt5oh wrote:
Thanks, is there any other place to find the sales code besides the dealer?

An Options Report is the only place to find the sales codes for your build, that I am aware of.
As far as I know a dealer is the only place that has access to the full Options report.
The "build sheet" you can DIY download from the Jeep web site does not include the sales codes. It is also not a complete listing of your build.

If your current springs still have a legible tag on them, it will have the part # for that spring.
The spring itself does not have a stamp on it that I could find.
Some dealer parts Dept. will give you the part #'s for your build, but they will need the last 8 of your VIN.

As far as after-market goes. I have yet to find a 100% reliable cross reference for each OEM spring. Main reason being there are 11 different springs, and each one can be used in 2 places.(That's just the rear springs. Same is true for the front.)
So rather than spending a small fortune on R&D and to have to carry 22 different springs in stock, most after-market sellers make their springs the same rate and length. Using an "average" as a guide line.
If you don't mind one corner siting lower than the other side, after-market is fine.

If you do mind, then that only leaves the dealer (or junk yard, if they still have a part# tag on it) as the place to get springs that are designed specifically for your build.

A question asked earlier I did not address; The KJ rear springs are not the same diameter as the KK. They will work in an emergency, but I would not run them all the time.

Not the news you were hoping to find, but it is what it is.

ESP Off Switch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:37 am 
LOST Newbie

Alright so I crawled under to take some pics and see if there were any labels... I think I got lucky

Does this sound accurate?

Mopar Part No.: 52125554AA
Replaced By 52125554AB
My drivers side rear

Mopar Part No.: 52125553AA
Replaced By 52125553AB
My passenger side rear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Can't argue with an OEM tag. :D
Check the rubber spring isolators also, top and bottom of each spring. if they are deteriorating, replace those also while you have it apart. If you want the rear a tad higher, stack 1 extra isolator on top of each spring(3 per spring, 2-top & 1-bottom). You'll gain the thickness of the isolator, less compression of the rubber.

Alternately you could just ad the isolators now, adding that height. Then wait for the spring to sag more before replacing them. In your Pics, it doesn't look like the springs are totally stacked (compacted to the point of one coil loop hitting the loop next to it. ) yet.

ESP Off Switch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Scar0 wrote:
Can't argue with an OEM tag. :D
Check the rubber spring isolators also, top and bottom of each spring. if they are deteriorating, replace those also while you have it apart. If you want the rear a tad higher, stack 1 extra isolator on top of each spring(3 per spring, 2-top & 1-bottom). You'll gain the thickness of the isolator, less compression of the rubber.

Alternately you could just ad the isolators now, adding that height. Then wait for the spring to sag more before replacing them. In your Pics, it doesn't look like the springs are totally stacked (compacted to the point of one coil loop hitting the loop next to it. ) yet.

Thanks for the advice and help

I tried to get a good pic of the isolators, what do you think, time to replace?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:31 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Iso's look ok from what I can see
My question is why are you looking for stock springs
Much better ride and handling with aftermarket up graded springs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:11 am 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
Iso's look ok from what I can see
My question is why are you looking for stock springs
Much better ride and handling with aftermarket up graded springs

can you give me some direction? I was mainly looking for springs because I want to keep stock ride height, I am not looking for a lift.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I agree with Tom, the isolators seem to be oK from what I can see in the Pics.

ESP Off Switch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:09 am 
LOST Newbie

Took it to a local shop to their input. They did a test drive. Said that I might not need springs/struts just yet (60k on the jeep)

However it bounces over bumps/pot holes. Body roll when taking turns. Dips when braking hard... Clunking / knocking / thump noise over speed bumps or steep pot holes.

What else should I look at that might be making those sounds? Control arm bushings? Sway bar bushings?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:03 am 

gt5oh wrote:
Took it to a local shop to their input. They did a test drive. Said that I might not need springs/struts just yet (60k on the jeep)

However it bounces over bumps/pot holes. Body roll when taking turns. Dips when braking hard... Clunking / knocking / thump noise over speed bumps or steep pot holes.

What else should I look at that might be making those sounds? Control arm bushings? Sway bar bushings?

60,000 miles you are ready for new springs and shocks , all Libertys came from the factory with weak springs
My suggestion, I know you said no lift, BUT OME 926 and rear 730 springs would only lift it about 1.25-1.5 inches,
926 front springs are rated at 350 lb compared to the 310 stock. Much better ride and handling overall, trust me
By 60-70,000 miles I have seen Libertys sagged as much as an inch
Body rolls, dips when braking etc are worn out springs and shocks
Choose either OME or Bilstein shocks and you'll love driving it

side note: I bought my 04 brand new, hadn't driven it 5000 miles before I was looking at new suspension, stock was junk over bumps/ RR tracks, turns etc, replaced whole suspension before it had 20,000 miles on it and was never happier.
My 03 even before I bought it, knew I was buying another Liberty, already had the JBA coilovers lift kit before I even found one that I wanted.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:38 am 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
gt5oh wrote:

60,000 miles you are ready for new springs and shocks , all Libertys came from the factory with weak springs
My suggestion, I know you said no lift, BUT OME 926 and rear 730 springs would only lift it about 1.25-1.5 inches,
926 front springs are rated at 350 lb compared to the 310 stock. Much better ride and handling overall, trust me

side note: I bought my 04 brand new, hadn't driven it 5000 miles before I was looking at new suspension, stock was junk over bumps/ RR tracks, turns etc, replaced whole suspension before it had 20,000 miles on it and was never happier.
My 03 even before I bought it, knew I was buying another Liberty, already had the JBA coilovers lift kit before I even found one that I wanted.

Bummer too late, I already bought the front monroes and rear monroe struts, the only thing I did not buy are the rear coil springs.

Mainly because when I search part # 52125553AA / 52125553AB it comes up as discontinued part "Manufacturer's Notes This part is discontinued. It is no longer available for purchase." and that is what I need for my passenger side rear.

The weird thing is when I search 52125554AA, it comes up for about $64 bucks and thats what I need for my drivers side rear. But what do I replace the passenger side rear with if the part is discontinued ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:54 am 

gt5oh wrote:
tommudd wrote:
gt5oh wrote:

Bummer too late, I already bought the front monroes and rear monroe struts, the only thing I did not buy are the rear coil springs.

Mainly because when I search part # 52125553AA / 52125553AB it comes up as discontinued part "Manufacturer's Notes This part is discontinued. It is no longer available for purchase." and that is what I need for my passenger side rear.

The weird thing is when I search 52125554AA, it comes up for about $64 bucks and thats what I need for my drivers side rear. But what do I replace the passenger side rear with if the part is discontinued ?

Send them back
Little back story, a customer came to me wanting stock type stuff
He bought the Monroes front and rear, installed them for him, got it aligned and thought I was done, had warned him before that i didn't think he would be satisfied.
A week later he was back. Told me to make up the list of what he needed to go OME, got everything in and swapped the springs and shocks out.
An hour later he was back, thought Oh no now what?
He said he should of listened, no more dips, swaying, etc on the road and to throw away the Monroe trash. Almost 4 years now and I still have a complete front and rear Monroe Sensatrac setup laying on the shelf where it will stay

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks all great advice here on this forum.

What are some other problem areas that cause suspension noise. I keep hearing a thud type sound, its not coming from shocks/struts. I did check some bushings, some look like they could be in use of a replacement. But which are the known problem areas that would cause suspension noise?