It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ERROR Displayed on Dash after removing negative battery lead
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey all, Just got done swapping radios, I used a replacement interface and double checked all wiring, the radio is fully functional and all aspects function as it should just as a factory radio. The vehicle also works perfectly fine. Only issue I'm plagued with is instead of seeing my odometer, I see a message that reads ERROR. I've already tried the trip button to put the cluster in diag mode, and also the turn key fix to get codes out of the cluster, neither worked. I even clamped the positive and negative LEADS together for 3-5 minutes to all all power from the system to discharge. Upon reconnection, the error message is still present. I have one code U0184 - Lost communication with radio.

Note: the factory radio was mistakenly removed from its harness before the battery was disconnected, the factory radio still functions as I swapped them back, but again error is still present. The battery was then disconnected and the rest of the process completed before it was reconnected.

What are my options here?

Post subject: Re: ERROR Displayed on Dash after removing negative battery
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You can try undoing what you did. Disconnect Neg battery, remove new radio and all harnesses you installed. Put stock radio back in. Start and drive the rig around for a bit.
Park the rig. Disconnect Neg battery cable for at least 30 minutes (most times 10 will work, but for radios 30 seems to be the magic #). Reconnect battery cable and (with stock radio still in). See if the error persists.
If error is gone, then disconnect Neg battery cable, wait at least 10 minutes(30 would be better) and reinstall the new radio and harness. If error comes back the best bet is a harness adapter problem.
I'll do a little digging on the error U0184, but my bet is you have steering wheel radio controls and the controls, or cluster can not talk to the new radio.
IE harness adapter problem.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:17 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I was close...
U0184 sets when the Heater Control loses communication with the Radio.

You can also try turning key from RUN to OFF three times ending in the RUN position. See if error persists.

ESP Off Switch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

Scar0 wrote:
You can try undoing what you did. Disconnect Neg battery, remove new radio and all harnesses you installed. Put stock radio back in. Start and drive the rig around for a bit.
Park the rig. Disconnect Neg battery cable for at least 30 minutes (most times 10 will work, but for radios 30 seems to be the magic #). Reconnect battery cable and (with stock radio still in). See if the error persists.
If error is gone, then disconnect Neg battery cable, wait at least 10 minutes(30 would be better) and reinstall the new radio and harness. If error comes back the best bet is a harness adapter problem.
I'll do a little digging on the error U0184, but my bet is you have steering wheel radio controls and the controls, or cluster can not talk to the new radio.
IE harness adapter problem.

Scar0,

Thank you for the reply! I can confirm I do not have steering wheel controls or any other additional electronics that connect to the radio (nav, backup camera, etc), I find it odd that it's throwing such a fit over the heater controls not communicating with the radio, however, the error was only displayed after disconnecting the battery, even after unplugging the stock radio with battery still connected, error was not there.

It seems it's more related to disconnecting the battery than anything, as U0184 doesn't even seem to throw the engine light on. I'm afraid I may have shorted something out somehow (no clue how) in the cluster. It's currently at the dealership for a fuel tank issue and they are possibly going to flash the PCM, I will post my findings once they are done, if it fixes it, I'll just be terrified of ever disconnecting the battery again

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I know many folks have replaced the stock HU without problems. I have even removed my OEM radio with the battery connected with no issues.
My first thought was you had the advanced EMIC and steering wheel controls for the radio.
With the above you can have your station displayed in the cluster. With an after market
HU and no steering wheel control adapter for it, you can get an error type message in the cluster.
Or the station will just say AM, or FM and never change.
Did you use a PAC adapter to install the new HU?

I would not be to concerned about a Neg battery disconnect. This is step 1 in almost every repair procedure in the SM. Jeep would not have made it step 1, in 98% of the repair procedures if it caused problems.
However, if the key was in the "on", or "Accy" position when the Neg was disconnected, that could cause problems.

When the OEM HU is replaced, a lost communication with radio will always be present in the computers. Usually it will not cause any problems and just sits there. It will not turn on the CEL, or set an ERROR message display in the cluster, because auto makers know folks are going to replace the stock radios.

Keep us posted on what the dealer finds. I'd be interested to know what happened.

Doing a bit more research, it seems there is a computer glitch which causes this ERROR message. Most common with the 08 Libby.
Jeep is aware of it, and they have a software update to fix it. To bad you have to pay them to fix a glitch they caused...

ESP Off Switch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

Scar0 wrote:
I know many folks have replaced the stock HU without problems. I have even removed my OEM radio with the battery connected with no issues.
My first thought was you had the advanced EMIC and steering wheel controls for the radio.
With the above you can have your station displayed in the cluster. With an after market
HU and no steering wheel control adapter for it, you can get an error type message in the cluster.
Or the station will just say AM, or FM and never change.
Did you use a PAC adapter to install the new HU?

I would not be to concerned about a Neg battery disconnect. This is step 1 in almost every repair procedure in the SM. Jeep would not have made it step 1, in 98% of the repair procedures if it caused problems.
However, if the key was in the "on", or "Accy" position when the Neg was disconnected, that could cause problems.

When the OEM HU is replaced, a lost communication with radio will always be present in the computers. Usually it will not cause any problems and just sits there. It will not turn on the CEL, or set an ERROR message display in the cluster, because auto makers know folks are going to replace the stock radios.

Keep us posted on what the dealer finds. I'd be interested to know what happened.

Doing a bit more research, it seems there is a computer glitch which causes this ERROR message. Most common with the 08 Libby.
Jeep is aware of it, and they have a software update to fix it. To bad you have to pay them to fix a glitch they caused...

I am 110% sure no steering wheel controls/advanced EMIC, I've worked on fords most of my young life and trying to learn all I can about Chrysler now. I too have found a flash or update to the computer fixes the issue. A PAC adapter was used as well as an antenna adapter, everything was spliced correctly and everything works correctly, only issue is that error message.

The battery was definitely not disconnected with the key in, I always make a habit of having the key on my person somewhere when doing that. I will note the horn beeped during disconnecting and reconnecting but that's happened on other models and I've always written it off as normal.

I'm a bit concerned about my dealership though.. my appointment was for thursday and they still haven't even looked at it, I have the fuel tank overflow issue that is outlined in a TSB somewhere and that it is covered under lifetime warranty, however they are trying to change my wording to express it as a leak in the filler neck, but it leaks right out where the nozzle goes in, this to my knowledge is also a very well known issue. I'm doubting their ability to be able to successfully restore the cluster to working condition, I feel like they're going to give me a story of how it's because of the radio and it has to be switched again to fix it. Seems like they can't be bothered with customers after they've bought the car.. this is why I do my own work haha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ya, I too have lost faith in my local dealer.
Not sure why they would be balking about doing the warranty extension work. It costs them nothing and they are paid by Corp to do it.
The "warranty extension" is here on the forum. You should download a copy and take it to them. The "warranty extension" was their agreement with the NTSB to stop a recall action.

If they are waiting on parts for the warranty extension, you should ask them to have your rig back until they come in.

Like I said the EMIC/steering wheel controls was a first thought. With a PAC adapter you shouldn't have any problems.
You'd be amazed at some of the hack jobs I've seen when it comes to radio installs. You are not one of those hack and tape, hope it works, kinds. It sounds like you did it right.

Jeep knows this ERROR message is a problem with some 08 builds, when a Neg battery cable is disconnected. Don't let them tell you otherwise.

ESP Off Switch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

Scar0 wrote:
Ya, I too have lost faith in my local dealer.
Not sure why they would be balking about doing the warranty extension work. It costs them nothing and they are paid by Corp to do it.
The "warranty extension" is here on the forum. You should download a copy and take it to them. The "warranty extension" was their agreement with the NTSB to stop a recall action.

If they are waiting on parts for the warranty extension, you should ask them to have your rig back until they come in.

Like I said the EMIC/steering wheel controls was a first thought. With a PAC adapter you shouldn't have any problems.
You'd be amazed at some of the hack jobs I've seen when it comes to radio installs. You are not one of those hack and tape, hope it works, kinds. It sounds like you did it right.

Jeep knows this ERROR message is a problem with some 08 builds, when a Neg battery cable is disconnected. Don't let them tell you otherwise.

Definitely not! I didn't want to fork out the money for the adapter but hey, if it needs it to communicate properly, then so be it!

So what we're looking at here is an update to the computer to stop the error from being set when disconnecting the battery? So after the update it should clear the error and prevent it from recurring right?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:14 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Not having personal experience with this, I can't say for sure yes.
But from what I have been reading about it, the computer flash update has fixed the problem for most with that error. (pun intended.)
Only reason I say "most" above is I'm sure I have not read about every instance.

The only clusters I have heard about needing replaced have been related to the NO BUS message in the cluster. And my own which had to do with an A/C performance update. In my case the new HVAC controls could not talk with the cluster. So it had to be replaced as well. But that is another story...

Hope they get this fixed for you sooner then later. So you can get back to enjoying your ride.

ESP Off Switch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

Scar0 wrote:
Not having personal experience with this, I can't say for sure yes.
But from what I have been reading about it, the computer flash update has fixed the problem for most with that error. (pun intended.)
Only reason I say "most" above is I'm sure I have not read about every instance.

The only clusters I have heard about needing replaced have been related to the NO BUS message in the cluster. And my own which had to do with an A/C performance update. In my case the new HVAC controls could not talk with the cluster. So it had to be replaced as well. But that is another story...

Hope they get this fixed for you sooner then later. So you can get back to enjoying your ride.

Yes, tomorrow is Monday so I can only hope they at least look at it. Did you update your HVAC controls to aftermarket?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mbrando1994 wrote:
Yes, tomorrow is Monday so I can only hope they at least look at it. Did you update your HVAC controls to aftermarket?

Can't because the computers control the HVAC system. One of the strange things, as you know (U0184 DTC), is the radio also talks to the HVAC controls. Go figure that one. :roll: I still have the OEM radio.
I have the new controls and a new/used cluster which have been programmed so they can talk to the other computers. My radio and the new HVAC controls did not work before the cluster swap and program updates.
This was all dealer installed under warranty several years back.

ESP Off Switch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Scar0 wrote:
mbrando1994 wrote:

Can't because the computers control the HVAC system. One of the strange things, as you know (U0184 DTC), is the radio also talks to the HVAC controls. Go figure that one. :roll: I still have the OEM radio.
I have the new controls and a new/used cluster which have been programmed so they can talk to the other computers. My radio and the new HVAC controls did not work before the cluster swap and program updates.
This was all dealer installed under warranty several years back.

That is weird, I can't think of one circumstance where the radio would need communication with HVAC controls

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

UPDATE: Dealer was able to successfully flash the 'cluster' with an update which restored the odometer readings. Not sure if they meant the PCM, but this is what they told me. Thankfully everything is operational again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:40 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:BANANA: Great news. Did they do the fuel tank work as well?

ESP Off Switch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Scar0 wrote:
:BANANA: Great news. Did they do the fuel tank work as well?

Unfortunately not, they said the had to order a part but could not tell me which part it was for some reason, the service lead told me there's no charge at this time however so that's a good thing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bummer, but at least it sounds like they are working toward getting it done for you. Depending on which version tank you have, determines which part/s they need to replace. In some it is the whole tank, in others it is just parts of the tank.
After having your rig for as long as they did, without fixing the fuel burp issue. One would've hoped they would do the flash for free. If nothing else, simply because of the inconvenience to you. So good for them... and you! :BANANA:

Heads up... A KA owner had the tank work done. A month later he got an EVAP error code he could not figure out. When he used a mirror to check out the top of his tank he discovered a broken pipe on his fuel pump. The tech who did the work, broke the pipe when he was dropping the tank and "fixed" it with silicone. :dizzy: Not saying all techs are that dumb, but is something folks need to be aware of. The pump is made of plastic, and by now it may be getting brittle.
BTW The dealer where he had the worked done, did make it right.

ESP Off Switch