It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2002 KJ torquing to the right
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok, I hope I explain this right. I have an 09 - KJ and normally post there but I got an odd issue with my 02 KK so grab a beer and listen up. :juggle:

I notice in the past couple of years, after getting some new wheels and tires from discount tire, that around 65mph, I would get what felt like an out of balanced tire. But after DCT checking it out, my "goto mechanic" for the KJ checked the front end and even had the dealer look it over during a free oil change. No one could find a problem. DCT, bless there heart, rotated, rebalanced my tires like 3 times. Still, didn't find the issue. Oh well, 158k on the old girl, it lived for 6 years with my daughter driving it, and 2 more with my youngest son driving it (I didn't buy it new BTW). So, one day, I decided to take off the DCT wheels and put my old KK tires on it with the big GoodYear duratracs still on the orig KK's rims. One is leaking air over time, but that's another story. SO, been driving around with these new treads and have just started noticing something. Say I'm driving in strait line at 15mph. I "goose" it. The rear feels like it wants to track over to the left, making the front kinda go to the right. Letting off, makes the front pull back to center, or the left. Do it enough and it feels like the back end is "wagging" every time you "goose" it.

So, driving down the road, normally, all is well. You can move the wheel back and forth and the car doesn't act like anything but a jeep. But going slow, feels like the booty end wants to go to the left and the it makes the front go to the right. I've check the engine mounts sitting still and racing the engine, motor doesn't move. Can't find anything BROKE at the tranny level. Not inspected the rear yet, this weekend maybe. If I do a jack rabbit start, really getting after it, you have to fight the steering a little to keep it in your lane. Nothing is rattling, bumping or thumping so if something is loose, I'll never know. Having had the car this long, I can say :oops: I've never had the front/rear aligned. But this didn't start till I put new rims on from DCT which are offset a little so they stick out a little more then the OEM wheels.

Sorry for the long post but I'm sure some of you wise KJ owners might be able to point me in the right direction. FWIW, I just had a new power steering pump put on, along with some pullys and belts, hoses, etc.. about 700 bucks worth so I want my money back therefore, I've parked my 09 in the garage for now while I'm racking up the miles on the 02. Besides, I enjoy getting 15mpg vs 9. Thanks in advanced. 8)

(9 rear diff ground clearance)
ATH Front steel bumper
12k lb winch - BadLands
Reese Class III Rear Hitch
Pyle 42watt flood lights
Lifetime Warranty - Eng, Trans-Drivetrain

Post subject: Re: 2002 KJ torquing to the right
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

First this was posted in the KK section, not the KJ section. But none the less here are a couple thoughts.
1 If the new rims are not hub centric make sure you have centering rings installed. Without them, no matter how carefully you try to center the rim when mounting on the rig, it will always be off just a hair. Causing an out of balance feel.

2 Make sure the KK rims/tires (now on the KJ) are up to pressure. If one of the rear tires is low you will get a pull on acceleration. Same goes for the front, except you will get a drag. If you have a RR low and a LF low the combination will show up as an extreme pull to one side.
3 Not being familiar with the KJ rear suspension, I don't know how the tracking setup is.
But could be worn bushings back there being it is an 02.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Something else to check on the 02 rear suspension:
1. The ball joint in the top of the upper control arm “boomerang” tends to go bad, making the rear suspension feel loose.
2. There was a recall on rear lower control arms at one point, with them rusting through from the inside out and breaking. Make sure you don’t have a busted lca.

Either one of the above would make the rear end feel wonky at best and dangerous at worst. Hopefully it is just bushings as Scar0 suggested.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:23 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
tc1uscg wrote:
Ok, I hope I explain this right. I have an 09 - KJ and normally post there but I got an odd issue with my 02 KK so grab a beer and listen up. :juggle:

I notice in the past couple of years, after getting some new wheels and tires from discount tire, that around 65mph, I would get what felt like an out of balanced tire. But after DCT checking it out, my "goto mechanic" for the KJ checked the front end and even had the dealer look it over during a free oil change. No one could find a problem. DCT, bless there heart, rotated, rebalanced my tires like 3 times. Still, didn't find the issue. I have had the same issue with mine. Found out when I went back to the OEM wheels, that the aftermarket ones were these dual pattern things that would fit both Jeep/Dodge and Ford patterns. In this situation, the center relief was sized to fit Fords (about 3-4mm oversize)and the wheels were slightly out of concentric when they faced up to the hubs.

Oh well, 158k on the old girl, it lived for 6 years with my daughter driving it, and 2 more with my youngest son driving it (I didn't buy it new BTW). So, one day, I decided to take off the DCT wheels and put my old KK tires on it with the big GoodYear duratracs still on the orig KK's rims. One is leaking air over time, but that's another story. SO, been driving around with these new treads and have just started noticing something. Say I'm driving in strait line at 15mph. I "goose" it. The rear feels like it wants to track over to the left, making the front kinda go to the right. Letting off, makes the front pull back to center, or the left. Do it enough and it feels like the back end is "wagging" every time you "goose" it.

So, driving down the road, normally, all is well. You can move the wheel back and forth and the car doesn't act like anything but a jeep. But going slow, feels like the booty end wants to go to the left and the it makes the front go to the right. I've check the engine mounts sitting still and racing the engine, motor doesn't move. Can't find anything BROKE at the tranny level. Not inspected the rear yet, this weekend maybe. If I do a jack rabbit start, really getting after it, you have to fight the steering a little to keep it in your lane. Nothing is rattling, bumping or thumping so if something is loose, I'll never know. Having had the car this long, I can say :oops: I've never had the front/rear aligned. But this didn't start till I put new rims on from DCT which are offset a little so they stick out a little more then the OEM wheels.

Sorry for the long post but I'm sure some of you wise KJ owners might be able to point me in the right direction. FWIW, I just had a new power steering pump put on, along with some pullys and belts, hoses, etc.. about 700 bucks worth so I want my money back therefore, I've parked my 09 in the garage for now while I'm racking up the miles on the 02. Besides, I enjoy getting 15mpg vs 9. Thanks in advanced. 8)
Try chocking the front wheels fore and aft. Have someone in the car, idling, with foot off the brake, and shift from R to D every few seconds while you watch the rear on each side. It's likely you will see one side more than the other, moving. This can confirm or deny where I suspect your problem is. (Rear Link)

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set