It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone have a lower control arm bolt?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:36 am 
LOST Member

Im trying to remove the drivers side lower control arm to get the front diff out to install a locker and replace the oil pan. Of course the front mounting bolt for the diff is facing the front control arm, so cant get it out. Front lower control arm came off ok. Rear bolt is frozen solid. Impact wont touch it, 2 breaker bars wont budge it, lol. Lots of wd40 and a small torch did not help. Going to have to cut it off with a cutoff wheel tool. Found just the bolt on line but cheapest is around 18 bucks or so plus tax. Anybody have a non rusted bolt and nut? Has the cam on the head side to adjust csmber. How much shiped to 35747 in Alabama? If it fits it ships boxes arent too bad. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Anyone have a lower control arm bolt?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

MarkZ28 wrote:
Im trying to remove the drivers side lower control arm to get the front diff out to install a locker and replace the oil pan. Of course the front mounting bolt for the diff is facing the front control arm, so cant get it out. Front lower control arm came off ok. Rear bolt is frozen solid. Impact wont touch it, 2 breaker bars wont budge it, lol. Lots of wd40 and a small torch did not help. Going to have to cut it off with a cutoff wheel tool. Found just the bolt on line but cheapest is around 18 bucks or so plus tax. Anybody have a non rusted bolt and nut? Has the cam on the head side to adjust csmber. How much shiped to 35747 in Alabama? If it fits it ships boxes arent too bad. Thanks.

WD40 won’t touch most stuff. Get some PB Blaster or Kroil and soak it a few times. Not sure of your financial situation or time available I wouldn’t waste the time hunting for $18.00. If you have access to a torch some heat would likely help as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

MarkZ28 wrote:

If the cam bolt is seized and you have to cut it off that LCA is no good unless you can find someone stupid enough and try and replace that bushing.

It's going to cost you way more than $18 to fix it,which by the way is a super cheap price for those cam bolts.They normally go for $50 each.

Oh and any use of heat will damage the bushing,not to mention any type of spray to loosen it up will also damage the rubber bushing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:16 pm 
LOST Member

I dont have an oxy acetylene torches, I have a small butane torch. I did end up getting it out by using a cutoff wheel by cutting the nut. Got it off finally with the impact gun. I just need a nut now. I will need balljoints now, both lower ones have a tiny bit of play verticaly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:25 pm 
LOST Member

Tried taking the other arm off, its worse than the drivers side. Got the nut off in one piece but the bolt is rusted to the bushing sleeve, lol. Now may have to cut thst out. Even if I just put it back together I cant get an slignment since the bolt wont turn to move the cam. Im still working in it, not my main vehicle so I can take my time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:15 am 
LOST Member

Finaly got all the bolts out completely, and the lower ball joints. Went to Fastenal and got grade 8 bolts to replace the factory pieces. Same diameter and kength with locking nuts like factory. Cost less for all 4 nuts and bolts than for one oem bolt, with no nut, lol. I got the cam pieces off the original bots and will have them tack welded to the new bolts. It took a 20 ton press to get the remains of the bolt out of the bushing. Had to cut the head end off then twist arm to get it out. No way that bolt was coming out with anything less.