It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roofrack light wiring - wires under windshield side channel?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a roof rack-mounted light bar I've installed and am now trying to figure out the best way to run the wiring. At this point, I'm thinking of going back to the tailgate, in through the rubber grommet and then back along the roof trim to the front of the Jeep.

However... if I can run it under the windshield side channel, which I think just easily pops out, I'd almost prefer to go that route. Has anybody done this? Is there room underneath to run some wiring? If not, has anybody tried zip-tieing (or something else) the wiring along the edge of the removable side channel? At least that way it would still be slightly recessed.

Any other options for running power from a roof rack into the vehicle without drilling holes? :|

Thanks,
Steve

Post subject: Re: Roofrack light wiring - wires under windshield side chan
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:03 am 
LOST Member

I ran mine down the back hatch, behind the drivers tail light, under the jeep, over the wheel wells, and into the engine bay. I didn't want that much power inside the jeep at all. Glad I chose that route, I found one of my waterproof connectors had melted recently. If it was inside could have easily had a fire. I want able to find anything about the windshield trim. I would have preferred this option for less wiring.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:10 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I did as you first stated, down the rail and into the tail light grommet. Then under the inside trim to the front. I've had zero problems with this route in the last 10 years. I did put quick connect bullet connectors inside the grommet as well as at the lights. That way I can take things off without having to cut wires.

I will say I am not running high powered lights like the big KC lights...

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks folks! I think I'll follow the "run the wiring backwards first" route and come in from the hatch. I'll also have connectors at the lights along the roofrack and will run a solid length of wire inside the vehicle along the trim so there are no connections anywhere inside the vehicle.

Steve