All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gojeep's KK mods.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Gojeep wrote:
Short clip with the new muffler added.

? :?: ? :shock:

Sorry but had shut down in a hurry last night and forgot to finish the post! Added the clip now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzilvmHK5Wo

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

http://willyshotrod.com
____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |--O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

If anyone was to do similar then I would use dual 2.25 in to match the stock cat pipe diameter and 3" out like this one.
https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=12278 or polished, https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=14278

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |--O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:43 am 
LOST Newbie

BTW, listening to exhaust clips on your phone makes it sound awful!

This is the stock arrangement from the airbox to the throttle body on my 2010 model.

To match my bigger free flowing exhaust it time to get the same treatment on the intake side too. The bigger one on the right is from a 4.7 V8.

The intake bolt pattern is exactly the same as the 4.7 and the bore is bigger than the stock throttle body.

I just searched eBay for 4.7 throttle body and made sure it was the drive by wire version which was used on Jeeps and Dodges from 2008 on. Mine was $75 US and came off a 2011 Dodge 1500 Pickup. I looked for the one with the least mileage as that is more important than the age of it, and this had only done 61k.

Stock bore is 63mm/2.5"

4.7 version measures 74mm/3".

Some rotate the new throttle body to avoid cutting the assembly stubs. It's 2 minutes work to just cut them off.

The did the final trim with a knife facing away from the seal so I didn't slip and cut it.

This is the OEM part number of mine.

The Jeep harness just plugs straight in!. No modification at all.

Can't use the stock intake hose as the end narrows down to only 2.5". But it is 3.25" at the airbox and the convoluted section is still 3". So I put a hose clamp around the end of the 3" part to act as a guide while I cut it off with a hacksaw before linishing it.

I had a 3" rubber elbow from a Donaldson air cleaner system so thought I would use that. It was tight getting over the outside of the throttle body, but worked out well.

Need to remove the air intake temperature sensor and install it on the new elbow. Just levered it out carefully with a screwdriver

Rubber doesn't drill well with a standard twist bit as ends up way undersized. So just drilled it with a bit and brace as didn't have a punch the right size.

Used so soap to help push in the sensor the same distance in as stock, 32mm/1.25"

Seated nicely.

I used some 3" stainless steel tube left over from my tailpipe to make up the difference in length. First start up gave a very erratic idle like you had a huge cam in it! It settled down, and after going around the block, it had learned to adjust for it and idle is back to normal.
I have taken a 400 km round trip since fitting it and definitely have better throttle response and revs out far easier than before and powers up the hills. It compliments the exhaust upgrade really well and even had to turn down my throttle controller some more! I will give feedback on the economy changes once I do a run the same as I recorded before all my modifications. But must say I don't feel the loss of gearing from the 245/70R17, 30.5", tyres anymore. I have noticed also since the exhaust and throttle body mods that the ECO message is on a lot more now.

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |--O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:14 am 
LOST Newbie

Just a update on mileage after installing the following mods. Unfortunately I couldn't do any testing between them as I don't drive it that often. First I fitted a throttle pedal controller which should have no effect on mileage as doesn't affect engine tune at all. Best bang for your buck and ease of installation for sure. Felt so much quicker off the mark removing all lag. Next I installed dual 2.25" exhaust from the cats into a two into one muffler with 3" tailpipe. Felt most improvement from mid range to high revs and sounds so much better. Next I fitted the Hypertech MaxEnergy 2.0 on the regular gas tune. Reason I don't run higher octane fuel is that the octane boosters diminish over time and it is often a couple of months for me between refuels. I felt no improvement at all fitting this to be perfectly honest. Others on the higher fuel tune say they do. Lastly I fitted the bigger 3" 4.7 V8 throttle body. Got obvious gain especially in the higher rev range where it pulls hard right to the gear change. Overtaking is much quicker and safer.
Now before all these mods I drove down to the beach and back which is a 50/50 mix timewise of suburban and highway and 250 km/155 miles return. Drove it again the same route after the above mods again starting with a full tank and a reset of the trip computer. Speedo reads dead on to the GPS with 245/70R17 tyres with the dealer setting the computer to 245/50R20 tyre size, which is the tallest they can do. I also have a 2" lift but no added weight from aftermarket bumpers or wind resistance from a tyre on the roof etc. These mods were done before the first test so results are directly comparable as even had the same one passenger and dog on board. Tyre pressures were the same for both tests set at 2.0 bar or 29 psi. Bigger the tyre the less pressure needed for the same load. Before mods I got 12.7l/100km, or 18.5 mpg US. With all this extra power but still driven the same for the test, 11.7l/100km or 20 mpg US. I feel no power loss now at all from running the taller tyres and feel slightly ahead if anything. I would have been happy paying a small mileage penalty for the power gain but got a gain instead. :)

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |--O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)