It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2012 Liberty Latitude with Lift questions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:04 am 
LOST Newbie

I do not know what the differences from the latitude models from others other that it seems to have 18" wheels. I have a 2012 Liberty Latitude model, I am placing a 2.5" Daystar body leveling lift kit on. I have many questions

1. Do I need to get additional parts, ex. brake line extensions, rear shocks, bump stocks?

2. What is the largest size tire I should put on? Currently have 235 60/R18

3. Are there going to be additional issues I should know in advance?

Tips and tricks, and ideas greatly appreciated.....

Post subject: Re: 2012 Liberty Latitude with Lift questions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:56 pm 
LOST Addict

obxmel wrote:
I do not know what the differences from the latitude models from others other that it seems to have 18" wheels. I have a 2012 Liberty Latitude model, I am placing a 2.5" Daystar body leveling lift kit on. I have many questions

1. Do I need to get additional parts, ex. brake line extensions, rear shocks, bump stocks?
A 2.5” lift will require front bump stops (Teraflex works fine) and longer rear shocks.

The largest tire you can run with a 2.5” lift is about a 30.5” diameter. Your current tires are 29” so they will be fine.

Many. Most stem from your Daystar kit. Spacer lifts like the Daystar have a long record on Lost and Jeep Forum of sagging the stock springs and wearing out shocks in 1-2 years, to the point where after that you only have a 1” lift. The ride quality suffers a lot as well, being very jarring over bumps and reducing your front wheel articulation off road. While you can find a few people who sing the spacer lift’s praises, most regret the decision because they need a new suspension in a year or two and now they have to pay to lift their Jeep twice.

There are two good alternatives, but there is a higher cost up front (but cheaper overall since they last).

https://jeepinbyal.com/liberty-2008-2012-kk/lift-kits-jeep-liberty.html

1. Old Man Emu (OME) makes a 1.5” full spring kit with springs and shocks that can be had at jeepinbyal.com and several other online sellers. This kit actually provides 2.5” or lift in practice, and improves the ride quality a lot over stock. It will feel like a different Jeep. You’d need Teraflex front bump stops in addition and you can bolt 2 hockey pucks to the rear as bump stop extensions.
2. JeepinByAl sells their own quality lift kits. Hands down the best out there is their adjust a strut kits, but you are getting into money at that point. They also sell a hybrid kit that starts with OME and lifts it up to 3.5” called the Tommudd Econo Lift. (Tommudd is a long time user on LOST who has lifted over 60 Liberties in his own shop, so if you find his posts you should definitely listen to what he has to say. He coordinated with JeepinByAl to design the kit in order to save people money.)

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:54 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

obxmel wrote:

FIRST DO NOT USE A SPACER LIFT NO MATTER WHAT
well unless you like replacing worn out parts
Then throw the 18s away and get some wheels that you can actually buy good tires for
Throw a real full spring lift on, get some good tires a size or two larger and then have some fun

Spacer lifts/ worn shocks and springs does not give a good ride, does not handle well, does not last well, wears out other front end parts and many other reasons
I won't even install a spacer style lift, want satisfied people leaving, not p***** off people
I have spacers laying around from taking them off :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

Nothing wrong with 18's unless you're going to be into heavy rock crawling or deep mud. You can use 255/60R18 0r 265/60R18 with no problems with the OME lift.

JBA/OME 927 / 731
255/60R18 Hankook Dynapro AT-M

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:04 pm 

442stu wrote:
Nothing wrong with 18's unless you're going to be into heavy rock crawling or deep mud. You can use 255/60R18 0r 265/60R18 with no problems with the OME lift.

18s more expensive, not as many choices in sizes that you can actually run, no sidewalls....................
sure nothing wrong at all with them

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Tom, you're the reason this board is so dead. Old school and old ideas. Every modern truck has 17" or larger rims, and they all go off road just fine. Crawl out of your cave and join the 21st century.

JBA/OME 927 / 731
255/60R18 Hankook Dynapro AT-M

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:59 pm 

442stu wrote:
Tom, you're the reason this board is so dead. Old school and old ideas. Every modern truck has 17" or larger rims, and they all go off road just fine. Crawl out of your cave and join the 21st century.

LOL comedians everywhere
Sure some of these jacked up ridiculous trucks have 18s, but much larger tires than what we can run so end up with some sidewall