It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roof leak on a 2011 Jeep KK WITHOUT A SUNROOF...HELP!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:48 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi JEEPERS,

I have a 2011 Jeep KK without a sunroof that is showing evidence of a roof leak around the headliner that's mostly around the front near the windshield down to the left driver's side then all the way back to the rear next to the rear hatch. I've been trying to research this issue online but all I come across are people that have sunroof leaks and are stating to clear the sunroof drain tubes but I don't have a sunroof which is puzzling me on what could be the problem. I would like to know if anyone here has had the same problem with their Jeep KK without a sunroof and if they were able to find the problem and have a fix for it. Plus, if you have information on how to remove the headliner on my Jeep KK I would really appreciate that information as well. Thank you in advance for any information you can provide me on trying to fix this issue of mine.

Have A JEEPIN Day! :JEEPIN:

Post subject: Re: Roof leak on a 2011 Jeep KK WITHOUT A SUNROOF...HELP!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

The roof rack bolts crack and leak. Pull your rack and look at the bolts. Seal them up with silicone and reinstall rack. Alot of weight on roof causes the issue.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:08 pm 
LOST Addict

^^^^ This. Plus the sheet metal seams above the tailgate aren’t sealed terribly well.

Here’s my experience with tracking down and fixing the leaks.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=63948

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:10 am 
LOST Newbie

Teastley wrote:
The roof rack bolts crack and leak. Pull your rack and look at the bolts. Seal them up with silicone and reinstall rack. Alot of weight on roof causes the issue.

Thank you for responding to my post. With your advice I now have somewhere to start at. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:44 am 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:
^^^^ This. Plus the sheet metal seams above the tailgate aren’t sealed terribly well.

Here’s my experience with tracking down and fixing the leaks.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=63948

Thank you for responding to my post. WOW! I just finished reading the whole thread that you started and I'm sure that my leaking issue is in that thread. Thank you so much for attaching that link to that thread. I noticed that's an old thread and I would like to know if you have had any leaks since you done that fix? Plus, have you recently checked the rust areas where you used that 3M 5200 marine silicone on to see if it has gotten worst or no change? I have signs of leaking around the sun visor's hinges as well. I like to know if you experienced leaking around those areas too and did just removing the roof rack rails was all you needed to do to fix the leaking around the front area? I ask because I'm not sure if I will need to remove the rubber part of the roof rack that's close to the windshield to fix that problem area. Thank you again for your help and I look forward to your reply.

Have A JEEPIN Awesome Day!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:43 am 
LOST Addict

I updated the thread to answer some of your questions and help other people down the line. Here’s what I wrote:

It has been several years since I sealed the roof, and it was fine for quite a while. I started getting leaks in the same place (see above post) again this year, but also noticed that the sealant across the sheet metal seam above the liftgate opening was cracking (probably due to vibration and expansion / shrinkage of the metal with temperature changes). This time I went nuts with the Rustoleum version of Flex-Seal and slathered it across the entire seam:

I know, that’s UGLY! But it does work. It is almost 99% leak free again. On very intense and long rainstorms there are a few drips from the center trim panel, so I probably will have to take the roof rack off again and reseal around the sidebar feet.

Rust-wise, I can’t see that it has gotten any worse. I encapsulated a bit of rust with the sealant the first time, and it has most likely grown a little, but nothing to make me worry.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:52 am 
LOST Addict

To answer your other questions:

I never had a leak at the sun visors but I did have leaks on the headliner above the driver’s seatbelt area, which correspond to the front attachment points of the roof rack. The seam that is the issue runs the entire length of the Jeep under the plastic black trim line but it gets stressed out at the roof rack attachment points. It’s possible it could be leaking in front of the forward roof rack bolts, but it could also be leaking at the bolts and then water could be traveling forward inside the Jeep and coming out at your sun visors. I would say that might me more likely but you know your Jeep better than me.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:
I updated the thread to answer some of your questions and help other people down the line. Here’s what I wrote:

It has been several years since I sealed the roof, and it was fine for quite a while. I started getting leaks in the same place (see above post) again this year, but also noticed that the sealant across the sheet metal seam above the liftgate opening was cracking (probably due to vibration and expansion / shrinkage of the metal with temperature changes). This time I went nuts with the Rustoleum version of Flex-Seal and slathered it across the entire seam:

I know, that’s UGLY! But it does work. It is almost 99% leak free again. On very intense and long rainstorms there are a few drips from the center trim panel, so I probably will have to take the roof rack off again and reseal around the sidebar feet.

Rust-wise, I can’t see that it has gotten any worse. I encapsulated a bit of rust with the sealant the first time, and it has most likely grown a little, but nothing to make me worry.

Thanks for the update. Me and everyone that's having this issue truly appreciates it. I see that you changed from using the 3M product to the Rustoleum Flex-Seal product. Have you done some research and found that the Rustoleum Flex-Seal is better or are you just taking a chance on it? The reason I'm asking is because I was about to purchase the 3M product on Amazon today but checked this thread first and saw your reply. I looked over some of the reviews about the 3M product on Amazon and it had some good reviews but a lot of people were indicating that it does take a real long time to fully cure. Almost a full week. I was thinking of using Plasti Dip because people use it for painting vehicles and tools. If it's durable enough for the body of a vehicle and is resistant to chemicals on tools it should be strong enough for sealing cracks and water I would think plus you can kind of match your color of your vehicle as well. Plus, if it starts to wear down in time you can just peal it off and spray it again. I'm going to check online to see if anyone has tried this yet. I'm going to check out a few other brands of silicone adhesives as well before making a decision. Since you already applied the Rustoleum Flex-Seal on your seams you might want to get some Plasti Dip in your Jeep's color to cover it up and make it look nicer. I heard that Plasti Dip suppose to stick to almost any type of surface. It might be worth a try. Thanks again for your help and your suggestions.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Hello!

Actually I think the 3M product is way better. I had the flex seal stuff left over from another project and my local hardware store didn’t carry the 3M. It was totally a decision of convenience. I think the 3M looks better and is more durable. It would get my vote. Just leave the roof bars off for a week and it will be fine.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:22 am 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:
Hello!

Actually I think the 3M product is way better. I had the flex seal stuff left over from another project and my local hardware store didn’t carry the 3M. It was totally a decision of convenience. I think the 3M looks better and is more durable. It would get my vote. Just leave the roof bars off for a week and it will be fine.

Thanks for your advice. It seems like the 3M product is the way to go. I saw on Amazon that they have a fast cure one in a red and white tube that dries in 24 hours. I don't know if the quality will be the same as the blue tube one. Any thoughts about that one? Thanks