It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KK vs. YJ vs. 2017 4runner
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Some friends and I are going to go out this weekend. I have had my KK for about 3 years not but really haven't taken off road much yet. I'm curious how capable I will be compared to there vehicles. The following is the specs each vehicle has (with mods)

2012 Jeep Liberty Arctic
- Command Trac II
- Daystar 2 inch
- 255/70R16 Toyo AT II on factory Arctic Wheels

1989 Jeep Wrangler
- 4.0 Automatic
- 33 inch KO2 on steel wheels
- Open Diffs

2017 Toyota 4runner
- Completely stock drivetrain
- 20 inch Black Rhino wheels
- Toyo AT II

I drive my Jeep every day so I don't want to break anything but how will I stack up to these too?

I tow with my KK quite a bit so I have a Curt hitch that seems to weigh it down just a bit on the back. Getting ready to go with some 4.10's cause 3500lbs feels way heavy with the factory gears. But that will help with offroading also.

Post subject: Re: KK vs. YJ vs. 2017 4runner
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:48 pm 
LOST Addict

Piratewilly wrote:
Some friends and I are going to go out this weekend. I have had my KK for about 3 years not but really haven't taken off road much yet. I'm curious how capable I will be compared to there vehicles. The following is the specs each vehicle has (with mods)

2012 Jeep Liberty Arctic
- Command Trac II
- Daystar 2 inch

1989 Jeep Wrangler
- 4.0 Automatic
- Open Diffs

2017 Toyota 4runner
- Toyo AT II

I drive my Jeep every day so I don't want to break anything but how will I stack up to these too?

I tow with my KK quite a bit so I have a Curt hitch that seems to weigh it down just a bit on the back. Getting ready to go with some 4.10's cause 3500lbs feels way heavy with the factory gears. But that will help with offroading also.

It's pretty capable. You'll be competitive with the 4runner, especially since you both have the same tires. The YJ is able to do much harder obstacles than either of you because of it's 33's. However, with its open diffs, you might be able to traverse off-camber places where it would spin a wheel off the ground. You have BLD-- Brake Lock Differential-- basically using the ABS brakes to stop a spinning wheel and transfer power to the other side that has traction. I don't know if the 4runner would have that, but the YJ definitely doesn't.

Be sure you have tow hooks and a snatch strap (good that you have a rear hitch also) and skid plates if you're going to try anything crazy.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:
Piratewilly wrote:

2012 Jeep Liberty Arctic
- Command Trac II
- Daystar 2 inch

1989 Jeep Wrangler
- 4.0 Automatic
- Open Diffs

2017 Toyota 4runner
- Toyo AT II

It's pretty capable. You'll be competitive with the 4runner, especially since you both have the same tires. The YJ is able to do much harder obstacles than either of you because of it's 33's. However, with its open diffs, you might be able to traverse off-camber places where it would spin a wheel off the ground. You have BLD-- Brake Lock Differential-- basically using the ABS brakes to stop a spinning wheel and transfer power to the other side that has traction. I don't know if the 4runner would have that, but the YJ definitely doesn't.

Be sure you have tow hooks and a snatch strap (good that you have a rear hitch also) and skid plates if you're going to try anything crazy.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I'm definitely not going to try anything to crazy. The Arctic cat factory with pretty nice tow hooks in the front, had to remove the rear to install the hitch but the hitch is pretty freaking sturdy.

I'm not afraid to try anything I really just don't want to break anything or damage the vehicle in any way. You think it would be a good idea to disconnect the sway bar end links for the day?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:59 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Biggest issue you have is the spacer lift, would do better with full spring lift giving some extra flex but have fun
I assume you have a full set of skid plates

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have only factory skids, which is basically nothing, but I don't plan on getting to crazy. I just decided that I wanted to do something like this with the liberty after having it for the past 3 years. It's just been my commuter/tow vehicle that I occasionally used 4wd when I went to the beach or snow.

I did the Daystar initially just so i could get a little bigger tires. I think jeep should had put a 30 inch tire and about 2 inches high suspension from the factory to really make the liberty look better.

I do plan on doing the JBA 4 inch eventually but it's still a ways off.

I already got the 4.10s ready to go in and I'm thinking I might do some lockers while I'm at it but the money might have to go somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

dont disconect sway bars in rear. If you dont have extended brake lines in the rear you can have a major failure.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Teastley wrote:
dont disconect sway bars in rear. If you dont have extended brake lines in the rear you can have a major failure.
Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk