It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help with removing wrong power steering fluid in my KK
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:56 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello JEEPERS,

I need some assistance on how to remove regular power steering fluid(not ATF+4) from my 2011 Jeep Liberty KK power steering reservoir/system. The story is when I recently checked my fluids (about a week ago) I noticed that the power steering reservoir was almost empty. I got really concerned about that but I wasn't experiencing any squealing, hard turning or burning smell. But, to prevent possible damage to my power steering pump I went to Walmart to get some power steering fluid to fill it to the full mark. I don't have an owner's manual for my Jeep so I couldn't check to see if there was a certain type of power steering fluid to use but honestly I didn't know that there was different types until today. When I was there I was shown the Prestone Power Steering Fluid and on the back it did have "It's developed for use in GM, Ford, Chrysler and most foreign cars and light trucks." So, I thought it was ok to use in my Jeep until today when I finally made time to search for an owner's manual online and I found one for free in a pdf format. When I was browsing through it I found the section where it has the power steering fluid recommendations and it indicated MOPAR Power Steering Fluid +4, MOPAR ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid or equivalent licensed ATF+4 product. That worried me and that's why I'm posting this thread seeking any help from you JEEPERS. I tried to look on YouTube for instructions on how to flush my power steering fluid but I found none for a 2008-2012 Jeep Liberty KK. My questions for you are:

1. Could regular power steering fluid really damage my power steering pump even if I didn't drive it very far after filling it up?
2. Do I have to completely flush the regular power steering fluid that's in there now before I fill it with the ATF+4 fluid?
3. I've seen some people on YouTube just using a turkey baster to remove the old power steering fluid from the reservoir and add new fluid. Would that be safe for the power steering pump or will the little bit remaining mixed with the new fluid cause damage to the power steering pump?
4. If I do need to flush the current power steering fluid completely out of the system before replacing it with the ATF+4 fluid could someone give me easy step by step instructions on how to do it on my year Jeep KK? I haven't done this type of service before.

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated! Thank you all in advance for reading my post and Have A JEEPIN Day!!! :JEEPIN:

Post subject: Re: Need help with removing wrong power steering fluid in my
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:07 pm 

Based on what I have read, it is compatible and will mix with ATF+4 in your power steering system.
I'd suggest you to call Prestone directly at: 888.269.0750 and one of their Parts Pros will gladly assist you with your question.

But if you want to change it out, this is how:
Quote:
Disconnect the return hose from the PS pump and place it in a catch pail.
Get another person to help and operate ign. switch.
Get several quarts of ATF+4 fluid.
Open cap on pump and have funnel in place.
Start engine and ask other person to turn wheel from left to right (repeat several times).
DO NOT RUN RESERVOIR DRY!
Pour ATF+4 fluid as fast as necessary to prevent reservoir from going dry.
Stop engine after about three quarts have been pumped into catch bucket.
Reconnect return hose.
Fill reservoir to required level with proper fluid.
Install cap.
Dispose of the old transmission fluid properly.
Done.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you WWDiesel for responding to my post. I tried calling Prestone today but I guess their closed for the holiday. Thanks for giving me their number and the instructions on how to do a power steering flush. On my KK it's really hard to get to the hoses to drain it because their in a position below the reservoir where I can't really see which one is the return hose plus I don't see how I could get a catch pail from where it's located in the engine compartment. I believe the return hose is the one with a clamp from what I have seen on some YouTube videos on other vehicles. Could I get one of those siphon pumps and drain it from the reservior instead? Would that get all of it out or is that not a good idea? I was hoping to find a YouTube video on a power steering flush on my model KK but there's none out there. It would help me see how to get to the return hose and how to run the drain line to a container. Thanks again for your advice and any thoughts on using the siphon pump would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:13 pm 
LOST Addict

I’ve never done a power steering flush, but here’s :2cents: on how you might get the fluid out. There is a small power steering cooler beneath the radiator with hoses to access it on the lower drivers side. Disconnecting those hoses could have the same effect as disconnecting the return hose.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:44 pm 

lfhoward wrote:
I’ve never done a power steering flush, but here’s :2cents: on how you might get the fluid out. There is a small power steering cooler beneath the radiator with hoses to access it on the lower drivers side. Disconnecting those hoses could have the same effect as disconnecting the return hose.

X2 on his advice
Siphon pump will work, just will take much longer to replace all the fluid

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:

Thanks lfhoward for responding to my post. I'll look and see if I can find those hoses tomorrow. Would any of them be highly pressurized? I'm assuming that these hoses could be traced back to the power steering reservoir right? Would I need to remove both of them to drain the fluid? Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:28 am 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
lfhoward wrote:

X2 on his advice
Siphon pump will work, just will take much longer to replace all the fluid

It does sound like lfhoward has a good idea of easily accessing the return hose from the bottom of the radiator. I'm going to check for those hoses tomorrow. I'm glad to hear that the siphon pump will work. Wouldn't that be safer if I have to do this job by myself plus I wouldn't have to remove any hoses from the power steering reservoir? I don't want to damage the power steering pump. Plus, wouldn't the siphon pump eliminate wasting any ATF+4 fluid? I'm thinking (but, tell me if I'm wrong) that I could siphon out all the wrong power steering fluid from the reservoir first with the engine off to protect the pump then turn the steering wheel to the lock left then right position once (still with the engine off) then siphon more from the reservoir then repeat if needed until it's completely empty (if that's possible with the siphon pump) then just fill the empty reservoir to the full mark then start the engine and turn the steering wheel to the lock left then right position several times then recheck the reservoir level and top it off again if needed. I'm thinking that way I wouldn't risk damaging the pump and I would save money on wasted ATF+4 fluid. Do you think that would work or not? Plus, if it will work do you think that it's necessary to lift up the front of the jeep until the tires are off the ground to turn the steering wheel to the lock left then right position while the engine is off or will it be fine doing that procedure with the tires on the ground? Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey JEEPERS,

I just finished searching on YouTube trying to get some ideas on how to do a power steering flush by yourself without having to run your engine and I came across this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gXTGBUZkh8. I posted on this thread a few days ago something very similar to what this video is showing but I just didn't know if my idea would work until I saw this guy actually put it into action. I'm really glad that I came across this video and I wanted to share it with you all just in case you didn't know about this type of procedure. This procedure was done on a Chevy but I'm sure that it will work on any vehicle with a similar power steering setup. Of course, if you choose to follow this procedure you are solely responsible for anything that happens as this guy has indicated in the beginning of his video. I'm really excited to try this out and get all of that wrong power steering fluid out of my KK asap :BANANA: . Thanks again to WWDiesel and lfhoward for your advice and assistance on helping me with my post question.

Have A JEEPIN Day! :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote: