It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LED Brake Lights, Light Bar, Fog Lights
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey all,

So I have three questions.

1. I am trying to find dual intensity LED tail / brake lights. As you know our vehicles use the same tail light as the brake light when you press the brakes. All the LEDs I have tried do not get brighter when you press the brake. Does anyone have a brand, model # that they know works well for this?

2. Are there any possible roof rack light bar options if you have a sky slider? If not are there any mounting brackets near the windshield/hood like some of the wranglers use?

3. Finally, whats the best way to replace the fog lights? I tried reaching in from the engine bay but was not able to get to them, are they accessible from underneath or do you need to remove battery/airbox in engine bay to reach down?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: LED Brake Lights, Light Bar, Fog Lights
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:17 pm 
LOST Addict

I can speak to #3.

To access the fog lights (and headlights too), open the hood and remove the black plastic push pins across the top front. Once they’re out and you’ve moved the hood release cable out of the way, you can pull the grille towards you and remove. There are a couple of tricky tabs down by the bottom outside corners of the headlights you may have to release with a long narrow regular screwdriver. Next you should be able to remove the headlight housings with a torx screwdriver, and form there it’s easy to access the bulbs.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:
I can speak to #3.

To access the fog lights (and headlights too), open the hood and remove the black plastic push pins across the top front. Once they’re out and you’ve moved the hood release cable out of the way, you can pull the grille towards you and remove. There are a couple of tricky tabs down by the bottom outside corners of the headlights you may have to release with a long narrow regular screwdriver. Next you should be able to remove the headlight housings with a torx screwdriver, and form there it’s easy to access the bulbs.

Thanks I did the headlights today with new sivlerstar ultras, didn't need to move anything, they are pretty easy to get to, you just have to bend your hand/arm a little to get in. However the fog lights were another story. Good to know though, thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

Bought these, they do not work. They are bright, but do not light up brighter when you press the brake. (Not dual brightness) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076J6CRFM

Trying these next - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A77RU5I

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well I figured it out with trial and error

So for #1

These work very well. Slightly brighter than stock bulbs, nice difference of brightness between regular tail lights and brake lights. Also they respond faster than regular bulbs when you tap the brake, the LED brake lights light up quicker, which is great to give drivers behind you more reaction time.

Stock 3157 Bulbs
12.8v / 14v
8.3w / 26.9w

LED 3157 Bulbs
12.8v / 12.8v
0.4w / 1.5w

Buy these

Post subject: LED Brake Lights, Light Bar, Fog Lights
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

did the Zevo lights and work, two color fronts but the solid state flasher you have to live with hyper flash and I get random windshield wiper on right turns....

AirAid TB spacer
4.7 TB
single magna flow
Many mods shared here

Last edited by davinhd on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

davinhd wrote:
did the Zevo lights and work, two color fronts but the soil state flasher you have to live with hyper flash and I get random windshield wiper on right turns....

What? Having a lot of trouble deciphering that reply.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

gt5oh wrote:
davinhd wrote:
did the Zevo lights and work, two color fronts but the soil state flasher you have to live with hyper flash and I get random windshield wiper on right turns....

What? Having a lot of trouble deciphering that reply.

I did those light in the rear. Back up, turn and brakes and the euro conversion.
I also did color changing signals in the front. Unfortunately the liberty doesn’t have traditional flashers under the dash so you will get hyper flashing “fast flashing”. I also get random wipers on right turns. No clue why but I’m sure its a voltage thing with the LED lights.
Hope that helps.
You can see them in my posts in the tech section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AirAid TB spacer
4.7 TB
single magna flow
Many mods shared here

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

FWIW, I had replaced by backup lights with LEDS, lic plate and inside lights, all with LEDS. Then I replaced the brake lights. I never really had driving the jeep for a long time at night but one night, I spent over 4 hours on the road. On my way home, i was at a stop light and could smell something burning. Thought it was brakes and the car in front of me. Down the road, next light, I still could smell it, just stronger. WTH!... Stopped in a parking lot, shut car off. Got out and walked around it. I could smell what seemed like a burning smell from the back of the jeep. OH NO... Well, I started it back up and was about 2 miles form home. Made it. My garage stunk like electrical fire all weekend (yep, put a lot of trust in my fire alarm system for the house but wife was freaked out I'd park my little 4x4 firepit inside). That monday, took it to the local mech. They found BOTH rear brake lights not working, one back up light was out also. They said my brake switch inside the jeep was FRIED. It looked like it was a little melted but enough to stink. Every time I turned on my heater, I could smell that burnt electrical smell. More like wire then circuit board. They put in standard bulbs and replaced the switch.

I did put LED backup lights back in. Figured if they were overheating, it wouldn't matter since they are not on that long anyway. I assumed that driving at night, the rear brake/parking lights might have got hot enough to short circuit and fry my brake switch. Wires seem intake from what I could see. So, not saying this was the LED's fault, but the electrical guy who fixed it said he's seen other cars do this when the lights would "fry", get hot and melt the switch instead of the brake light wires and running them for 4 hours strait could have caused it to overheat enough to melt the switch. We really don't know and I just keep sniffing for fire when I'm out at night (and I make sure my fire ext is in good working order). :2cents:

(9 rear diff ground clearance)
ATH Front steel bumper
12k lb winch - BadLands
Reese Class III Rear Hitch
Pyle 42watt flood lights
Lifetime Warranty - Eng, Trans-Drivetrain