It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JBA OME 1.5" lift and spring
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

well, its a 3 day weekend and Jeepin By Al was assumed to be closed (voice mail and emails have been sent).

I have totally disassembled the front shocks (struts) and springs, and new and old parts are all on the floor. Part numbers match the order. Part lengths match the OME spec sheets.

BUT

new springs are 2.25" longer than the old springs - this seems reasonable for a 1.5" lift.
new struts seem identical in geometry to the old struts - which seems just plain wrong. If there is to be a net lift of 1.5" AND I keep my original suspension travel (which would be the real point of new struts).

Well I'll be darned - JBA emailed me back - and he says "Trust ME" :-) [thanks Merlin for the prompt reply]

So the upgrade will continue :-)

Post subject: Re: JBA OME 1.5" lift and spring
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:22 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

kiwi_outdoors wrote:
well, its a 3 day weekend and Jeepin By Al was assumed to be closed (voice mail and emails have been sent).

I have totally disassembled the front shocks (struts) and springs, and new and old parts are all on the floor. Part numbers match the order. Part lengths match the OME spec sheets.

BUT

new springs are 2.25" longer than the old springs - this seems reasonable for a 1.5" lift.
new struts seem identical in geometry to the old struts - which seems just plain wrong. If there is to be a net lift of 1.5" AND I keep my original suspension travel (which would be the real point of new struts).

Well I'll be darned - JBA emailed me back - and he says "Trust ME" :-) [thanks Merlin for the prompt reply]

So the upgrade will continue :-)

Yo are fine , stock front shocks are what you use
I assume that you got the 927 front springs ( hopefully ) which gives 2.5 inches of lift

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:40 am 
LOST Newbie

I bought the 926 springs - this is the OME lift using all new parts for a modest lift - I did not want to lift higher than 1.5" out of concerns on the CV joints and covers.

Post subject: spring com,pressor hooks are trapped in the coils
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

UPDATE:

For the first strut-spring pair I was able to get the spring on the strut (barely – it was at the limit of the spring compressor kit).

But the spring compressor hooks are now trapped between the coils.

Its a typical spring compressor - threaded rod, hooks, safety pins etc. I had to grind the hooks down just to get them between the coils.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SX ... UTF8&psc=1
ABN 11.5” Inch Strut Spring Compressor Tool

I was afraid that might happen, but none of the web and Youtube stuff seemed to mention it – though most or all of them are not about this particular strut-spring lift combination.

For the strut-spring combo its looking like I need to cut the hooks apart and trash the spring compressor kit.

For the second strut-spring combo I can either take it to an auto shop on Tuesday or buy a 2nd spring compressor kit and waste it also.

Any suggestions on how to proceed??

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

FUJRTHER UPDATE

I cut two of the spring compressor claws loose and trashed them (and bought a 2nd spring compressor to get new claws)

It now seems that IF I can remove the compressor’s threaded rod and reinstall it to act as a lever in a certain manner, then the claw will be forced out of the spring when I pull outward on the threaded rod

So part of the trick to assembling spring, strut and the OEM top piece is to make sure that the top piece does NOT block removing the spring compressor’s threaded rod.

So progress continues.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

Both springs are loaded on to their shocks and all are in place - waiting for all relevant suspension components to be torqued to spec.

I did buy a 2nd spring compressor and modified the four best claws using my elbow grinder for easier removal - this worked out well.

I kept a safety chain in place - the spring + compressors remained chained to my B&D workmate until final compression of 12" overall was achieved.

Reconnecting the anti-sway bar was only the tiniest bit fiddly. Its easier to slack the end that you do not undo totally.

10:49 am Presidents day, Sun is shining, time for a break. Maybe an early lunch.

Post subject: Re: spring com,pressor hooks are trapped in the coils
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:02 pm 

kiwi_outdoors wrote:
UPDATE:

For the first strut-spring pair I was able to get the spring on the strut (barely – it was at the limit of the spring compressor kit).

But the spring compressor hooks are now trapped between the coils.

Its a typical spring compressor - threaded rod, hooks, safety pins etc. I had to grind the hooks down just to get them between the coils.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SX ... UTF8&psc=1
ABN 11.5” Inch Strut Spring Compressor Tool

I was afraid that might happen, but none of the web and Youtube stuff seemed to mention it – though most or all of them are not about this particular strut-spring lift combination.

For the strut-spring combo its looking like I need to cut the hooks apart and trash the spring compressor kit.

For the second strut-spring combo I can either take it to an auto shop on Tuesday or buy a 2nd spring compressor kit and waste it also.

Any suggestions on how to proceed??

Over 60 ;ifts done on Libertys, tried one of those one time, never again , killers
Alignment shop does all of mine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:04 pm 

kiwi_outdoors wrote:
Both springs are loaded on to their shocks and all are in place - waiting for all relevant suspension components to be torqued to spec.

I did buy a 2nd spring compressor and modified the four best claws using my elbow grinder for easier removal - this worked out well.

I kept a safety chain in place - the spring + compressors remained chained to my B&D workmate until final compression of 12" overall was achieved.

Reconnecting the anti-sway bar was only the tiniest bit fiddly. Its easier to slack the end that you do not undo totally.

10:49 am Presidents day, Sun is shining, time for a break. Maybe an early lunch.

Did you leave everything loose until it was on the ground and leave the sway bar off until then to attach. If not start over :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

All finished front and rear - its definitely higher then stock (I never did measure before and after)

it rides much better over the local speedbumps :-)