It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kk vs kJ for overlanding/trails
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:00 am 
LOST Newbie

Be gentle if I need explaining to, I did my first trail ride driving myself with an overland group last week and i’m Hooked so this is my first post.

I have an 02 liberty sport kJ and a 12 liberty latitude kk. I’m not sure which I want to mod up. I have debated ditching both for a newer Sahara but ive loved liberties since they first came out. Bf says ditch the 02 period but having a spare 4wd vehicle is convenient. I don’t mind keeping both but I don’t plan on using both off-road and especially since I’ve found very few parts swap between the two once I put money into one or the other there’s no going back.

They are both over 100k but well taken care of. The kJ just had the engine rebuilt about 3k ago and I’ve driven it less than 4k total in 4 years so those are mostly not my miles. Both are stock with the exception of the kk having some minor interior mods as it was a fleet vehicle. I’ve watched the 02 be worked in and have had it longer so I’m much more familiar with the engine compartment even if I haven’t personally done more than check fluids.

My goal is a trail riding vehicle that I can still drive to work or overland for a weekend, essentially keeping the other as a road “daily driver”. I go 0.8m each day to work so it’s not that big of a deal to heavily mod either but the spare gets used by the kids when needed so it will stay stock.

I’m running into even pros and cons for each but would value opinions with more experience on the technical stuff since i’m A bit green. I’m leaning towards the kk but should I f up badly and destroy it on a trail in the worst case scenario (I have the luck of satan) I’ll obviously be less upset about the kJ.

So far:

Kk pros - comfort, more reliable (of my two), newer, less top heavy, less miles, better body condition, more room inside, lift and tires are cheaper, 4wd easy to cut on/off

Kk cons - I cant see over the hood on hills, steering is heavier and less responsive, gas hog, will eventually need a rebuild on the engine, bigger/wider, not a lot of choice for some parts (e.g only finding the ath rear bumper atm with the tire mount, nice but pricey), bad blind spots in rear,

Kj pros - turns on a dime, gas sipper, already has rear tire mount and (basic Walmart) roof rack, engine already rebuilt, won’t get sad if scratched, bumpers and lifts significantly cheaper, more parts choice, familiarity, love driving it,

Kj cons - older, has some body dings and mechanic issues (rear wiper doa, power steering pump is on the way out, no heat and there’s an issue with the throttle control we’re trying to get figured out), will need trans done eventually but for now its sound, no room inside, 4wd is a pain to get into, temperamental b!$#,

Which would you choose and why? I’ll also gladly take reading suggestions or parts suggestions to start with. Please and thank you!

Post subject: Re: Kk vs kJ for overlanding/trails
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:05 am 
LOST Newbie

Jellymot3474 wrote:
Be gentle if I need explaining to, I did my first trail ride driving myself with an overland group last week and i’m Hooked so this is my first post.

I have an 02 liberty sport kJ and a 12 liberty latitude kk. I’m not sure which I want to mod up. I have debated ditching both for a newer Sahara but ive loved liberties since they first came out. Bf says ditch the 02 period but having a spare 4wd vehicle is convenient. I don’t mind keeping both but I don’t plan on using both off-road and especially since I’ve found very few parts swap between the two once I put money into one or the other there’s no going back.

They are both over 100k but well taken care of. The kJ just had the engine rebuilt about 3k ago and I’ve driven it less than 4k total in 4 years so those are mostly not my miles. Both are stock with the exception of the kk having some minor interior mods as it was a fleet vehicle. I’ve watched the 02 be worked in and have had it longer so I’m much more familiar with the engine compartment even if I haven’t personally done more than check fluids.

My goal is a trail riding vehicle that I can still drive to work or overland for a weekend, essentially keeping the other as a road “daily driver”. I go 0.8m each day to work so it’s not that big of a deal to heavily mod either but the spare gets used by the kids when needed so it will stay stock.

I’m running into even pros and cons for each but would value opinions with more experience on the technical stuff since i’m A bit green. I’m leaning towards the kk but should I f up badly and destroy it on a trail in the worst case scenario (I have the luck of satan) I’ll obviously be less upset about the kJ.

So far:

Kk pros - comfort, more reliable (of my two), newer, less top heavy, less miles, better body condition, more room inside, lift and tires are cheaper, 4wd easy to cut on/off

Kk cons - I cant see over the hood on hills, steering is heavier and less responsive, gas hog, will eventually need a rebuild on the engine, bigger/wider, not a lot of choice for some parts (e.g only finding the ath rear bumper atm with the tire mount, nice but pricey), bad blind spots in rear,

Kj pros - turns on a dime, gas sipper, already has rear tire mount and (basic Walmart) roof rack, engine already rebuilt, won’t get sad if scratched, bumpers and lifts significantly cheaper, more parts choice, familiarity, love driving it,

Kj cons - older, has some body dings and mechanic issues (rear wiper doa, power steering pump is on the way out, no heat and there’s an issue with the throttle control we’re trying to get figured out), will need trans done eventually but for now its sound, no room inside, 4wd is a pain to get into, temperamental b!$#,

Which would you choose and why? I’ll also gladly take reading suggestions or parts suggestions to start with. Please and thank you!

I have a 02 KJ limited in my driveway and my daily driver is a 09 KK.

My KJ gets better MPG then the 09 BUT, my 09 has a 1.5inch lift, biggest tires I can get without rubbing when turning (rears rub if I REALLY flex it), front steel bumper by ATH and is even heavier when I stick the 12000lb badlands winch in the receiver hitch part of the bumper. Full skids. Back when JCR off road made sliders for the KK, I got a set of "stage 3" type rock sliders (the kind that has the extra side rail for protecting the rocker panel). Class III hitch and a few more minor items. I think I clock something around 11mpg (on a good day) city and maybe 15 hwy. I've not touched the gears (I'm sure to get some heat from that) but I got the rig new so it's still got it's lifetime warranty on the eng/drivetrain/tranny so I'm careful not to break any seals as not to void it's warranty.

The KJ is stock and is my "backup car" when others are in the shop or one of the kids needs a set of wheels for one reason or another. I've had the KJ for about 10 years. Now, the KJ has ALWAYS gone better in snow then the KK till I lifted the KK. I have about 10inches clearance under the front skid and over 9 on the rear dif. I don't do as much off roading driving as I use too but in the coming years, that will change. I've used my KK to pull trees and bushes out of my yard over the past couple of years. Heck, I had the winch on it once trying to pull out a small tree and it was DRAGGING the Jeep up hill in the driveway. I ended up using a log chain, lower tire pressure and brute (yanking) force to pull it out. :pepper:

If I was today going to make one of the ready for some off roading, I'd mod out the KJ. It has a solid engine and tranny. Does turn on a dime (the KK did before I stuck the BFG KO2's on it.

Wondering why you feel your KK will need a engine rebuild? My KJ has over 150k, doesn't leak, burn anyoil and gets up and goes when told too. The KK, always was one of those "What? You want me to speed up?" kinda of engines but mine has 115k, no leaks, no burning of oil, no taping/clicking, etc. Heck, my plains are to keep the darn thing till it ether RUSTS (non by the way) or is abducted by little green men. :furious:

I'm on the edge of getting the rear steel bumper for the rear from ATH. Heck, whats another 100lbs hanging off it's booty? :dizzy: Mileages is crap anyway and I drive 3 miles one way to work, I don't drive the brick on any long trips (I have a loaf of bread for that - Gold Chrysler Minivan LOL). I guess it comes down to which one is going to last the longest is the one I wouldn't touch. If it was me, I'd hack away on the KJ. Unless you have replaced it's suspension, it's due. :dead:

This is what my KK looks like now:

JUST KIDDIING.

(9 rear diff ground clearance)
ATH Front steel bumper
12k lb winch - BadLands
Reese Class III Rear Hitch
Pyle 42watt flood lights
Lifetime Warranty - Eng, Trans-Drivetrain

Post subject: Re: Kk vs kJ for overlanding/trails
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:12 am 
LOST Newbie

OK, but not to get off topic much, I noticed something this morning at the stealership. Dropped the minivan off for oil change. Waiting for my ride, I needed some of that "new car smell" so I went trolling the showroom floor. My GOD! WTH is Jeep/FCA thinking. First car, 2019 Grand Cherokee. Didn't even look at the price but it didn't have any "Trail Rated" badges. Ok, maybe they ran out. Nope.. Right behind it site a "trail hawk" version of the Cherokee. Not only did it have a badge, it had TWO! (both front fenders). Ok, clearly the guy on the right didn't talk to the gal on the left that HE was putting on the badge. Oh well. Then, seen the little compass. No badge. Oh well, it looks like a mini-GC anyway so guess it doesn't get a badge. Then, there's the Wrangler. Yep, a badge. Surprised they didn't tick one on all four corners of the rig but not my call.

So, is jeep not trail rating it's newer less capable Jeeps because they have lost the vision of what the TRB stands for? Never really thought they needed it anyway but IMO, it's a way NOW to indicate if you want to attempt curb jumping at the local mall or just drive around it. :dizzy:

(9 rear diff ground clearance)
ATH Front steel bumper
12k lb winch - BadLands
Reese Class III Rear Hitch
Pyle 42watt flood lights
Lifetime Warranty - Eng, Trans-Drivetrain