It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which Bilsteins?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:14 am 
LOST Newbie

Since OME is not as easy as going to JBA now. It seems the shocks are a little harder to find, and to I am shocked to say that Bilsteins are cheaper in Canada then they are from JBA.

So anyways, I am going to order the bushing kit from JBA. I am looking to get the HD lifted shocks.

With a 3" or so lift. OME rear springs and an extra iso in the rear which shocks should I go with? The 2.5" or the 4"?

Post subject: Re: Which Bilsteins?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

To follow up I talked to Marlin at JBA. He recommended to go with the 2.5" due to it mainly being a daily driver with the odd offroad use. Hope that helps others in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

PhilKK wrote:
To follow up I talked to Marlin at JBA. He recommended to go with the 2.5" due to it mainly being a daily driver with the odd offroad use. Hope that helps others in the future.

Been hearing a little "play" (and feeling it in the SW) in the front pax side of the KK lately. When turning right, if there's a little drop off in pavement, I can "feel it". So, not sure what it is, yet, but time to go into the stealership this weekend for a oil change and will have them just look at it. After my inspection, I got the feeling, and hunch, the TOP joint of the JBA "A" arm has some play in it. Though it has a grease tip, it doesn't seem to want to take any grease. Could be wrong as I was in a hurry and didn't take the tire off, just popped on the grease gun and fired about 3 or 4 squirts into it. It would just shoot out around the grease gun and the fitting. All I did was make a MESS! :oops:

So, I have the 1.5inch lift. Was thinking of bumping it to 2-3inchs and in case I need'em, some new "A" arms. Now, I seen these, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H8 ... 6XC5&psc=1 but not sure how good they are. I don't beat the old girl up much so as a daily driver and running 32 (BFG KO2's) tires, I would like to keep the same if not add a inch or two to it. Did JBA/Marlin mention when they might have new "A" arms for the KK? But once I get the front end checked, if the "A" arm joint has "failed", I might not be looking to give them a 2nd shot. :shock:

(9 rear diff ground clearance)
ATH Front steel bumper
12k lb winch - BadLands
Reese Class III Rear Hitch
Pyle 42watt flood lights
Lifetime Warranty - Eng, Trans-Drivetrain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:26 pm 
LOST Addict

I responded in your other thread, but wanted to make sure you know the ball joins in JBA upper control arms are replaceable by design (unlike the stock control arm where you have to replace the whole thing). The part number for the ball joint is K6292 and it’s made not only by JBA but by many others as it’s the ball joint for an old school Chevy Suburban. Easy direct swap and keep your existing UCA’s which are angled properly for a lifted KK.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Got it. Thanks for the heads up. Do you think the 3/8inch extra in the JBA "A" arm is enough to bump my lift to 2.5inch or 3? Got the whole lift system from JBA thinking it was a match for the 1.5. But running 32's and want to go up another inch or two for good measure.

ATH Front steel bumper
12k lb winch - BadLands
Pyle 42watt flood lights

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:47 pm 
LOST Addict

tc1uscg wrote:
Got it. Thanks for the heads up. Do you think the 3/8inch extra in the JBA "A" arm is enough to bump my lift to 2.5inch or 3? Got the whole lift system from JBA thinking it was a match for the 1.5. But running 32's and want to go up another inch or two for good measure.

The spring height will give your Jeep lift, but the JBA A Arm will allow your wheels to be aligned properly with that lift. (The A arms themselves don’t provide lift.) If you have the OME springs and shocks, you probably have more than 1.5” of lift since most people get 2-2.5” from it. Measure from the center of your wheel to the fender flare and report back. 18” is non sagged stock height in front, and 19” is rear stock. If you only have 1.5” of lift it would be 19.5” in front. I’m betting yours is at least 20.5. But that heavy bumper is a wildcard.
You can add more height with a clevis lift. Maybe this is the 3/8” you were referring to? That would add 3/4” of additional height at the wheel due to IFS geometry.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:
tc1uscg wrote:

The spring height will give your Jeep lift, but the JBA A Arm will allow your wheels to be aligned properly with that lift. (The A arms themselves don’t provide lift.) If you have the OME springs and shocks, you probably have more than 1.5” of lift since most people get 2-2.5” from it. Measure from the center of your wheel to the fender flare and report back. 18” is non sagged stock height in front, and 19” is rear stock. If you only have 1.5” of lift it would be 19.5” in front. I’m betting yours is at least 20.5. But that heavy bumper is a wildcard.
You can add more height with a clevis lift. Maybe this is the 3/8” you were referring to? That would add 3/4” of additional height at the wheel due to IFS geometry.

Front bumper weighs in at 120lbs I think (At The Helm) can confirm. I have full skids and the JCR offroad (no longer make them) sliders are around 50lbs each, class III hitch. Thats why I went with a little bit of lift to get it's belly off the ground (didn't have the front bumper on it when I got it lifted).

So, I have 18.5 front and just under 20 on the rear so guessing the "extra" weight on the front isn't helping. Who has a decent clevis lift? I was just going to go ahead and switch out the sprints/shocks (and now get the "A" arm upper joint fixed and get another inch out of it.

The 3/8" was the "A" arm's extra "length" to help keeping the wheels in check with the extra lift. But I took a pic of what my upper joint looks like and yep, it's COMPROMISED as can tell. So , I'll get two replacements and get them installed.

If that link doesn't work, here's another

ATH Front steel bumper
12k lb winch - BadLands
Pyle 42watt flood lights

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:42 pm 
LOST Addict

Wow yeah, with the extra weight you effectively have a 1/2” lift. :shock: I’m actually amazed you have 32’s in there currently. A clevis lift should help a lot with the rubbing. Here’s a clevis lift how-to thread from way back: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=48731

Something else that may help. I don’t know if you’re running the medium duty OME springs but you could upgrade to the HD or CRD rated springs. The overall length is the same but they will resist compression more, giving you more lift for that bumper etc.

Good idea keeping the JBA UCA’s and just replacing the dead ball joints. The A arm geometry is what’s allowing you to be properly aligned. If you do change the height, even with a small clevis lift, get it aligned again. You’d be amazed how much a small change in height at the spring can affect the camber and toe.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:
Wow yeah, with the extra weight you effectively have a 1/2” lift. :shock: I’m actually amazed you have 32’s in there currently. A clevis lift should help a lot with the rubbing. Here’s a clevis lift how-to thread from way back: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=48731

Something else that may help. I don’t know if you’re running the medium duty OME springs but you could upgrade to the HD or CRD rated springs. The overall length is the same but they will resist compression more, giving you more lift for that bumper etc.

Good idea keeping the JBA UCA’s and just replacing the dead ball joints. The A arm geometry is what’s allowing you to be properly aligned. If you do change the height, even with a small clevis lift, get it aligned again. You’d be amazed how much a small change in height at the spring can affect the camber and toe.

Clevis suggestions? I was thinking of just going with a new set of springs and shocks.
There this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6 ... W2PV&psc=1

or this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H8 ... 6XC5&psc=1

Waiting for reply on "how much" lift it provides. And I'm still going to replace the joints. :JEEPIN:

ATH Front steel bumper
12k lb winch - BadLands
Pyle 42watt flood lights

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:
I responded in your other thread, but wanted to make sure you know the ball joins in JBA upper control arms are replaceable by design (unlike the stock control arm where you have to replace the whole thing). The part number for the ball joint is K6292 and it’s made not only by JBA but by many others as it’s the ball joint for an old school Chevy Suburban. Easy direct swap and keep your existing UCA’s which are angled properly for a lifted KK.

Ok, jeep is in the shop for a unrelated problem. I was going to have the mech to drop my sliders so I can take them to get them re-powder-coated and replace the ball joints. Upper Ball Joint K6292 by JBA is like 60 bucks for 2 which is not bad IMO but I don't know if I can get them in time so whats the vote of confidence that the MOOG K6292 is going to be a good fit and is there any negatives to using a non JBA joint with their "A" arm?

<b>UPDATE</b> Marlin responded. MOOG K6292 will work.

ATH Front steel bumper
12k lb winch - BadLands
Pyle 42watt flood lights