It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with backup camera please
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

My 2012 Liberty came with the mygig radio but doesn’t have the backup camera. I need to install one because my wife had neck surgery and can’t turn her head much. I would like to do the factory camera. My questions are : 1. Is the wiring harness there or does it need to be run. 2. Will the radio need to be flashed by the dealer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Help with backup camera please
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

In the same boat with you buddy. My wife too has a bad back, and would like the camera for her new to her 2011 KK. My research has taken me down the path that these radios differ from similar other Chrysler LCD display head units. Apparently these units are not natively backing camera equipped, and from what I can find the camera was not an option for the KK. :( Your guess is as good as mine as to why there is no camera option for a post 2010 rig, especially since this style of radio has been available for a number of previous years in other Chrysler products that sported nifty head unit based backing cameras.

I have done further research to show that Alpine produced these radios for Chrysler, and supposedly they have a camera interface that can be connected to these LCD faced KK radios. The wiring does not exist for the camera in the KK so it has to be run from the front of the truck to the rear, and then properly connected.

I have watched folks attempt to roll their own camera systems for their KK rigs on the internet, and I cringe as they cavalierly cut into their rig's CAN bus wiring system to add aftermarket cameras. We see their camera work upon completion, but there is no post follow up to their story about how they suddenly start having electrical problems plague their rig several weeks later. I worked in dealerships for years, and saw the electrical aftermath of folks fooling around with modern car radio systems. I am sure it happens.

So what can we do. A friend of mine is very familiar with high end modern day car stereos, and he has connections with a high end car stereo shop South of town. They happen to be an Alpine authorized dealer. My friend found out for me that they can add a genuine Alpine camera to the rig, and upgrade the built in Alpine radio software to make the entire thing work. It's supposedly a $500-$600 job. I am going to get it done for her, as soon as I sell my classic Chrysler, and acquire that extra cash.

So check to see if you have a high end car stereo salon in your town who hopefully is an Alpine dealer, and see if they can hook you up.

Lando Liberty 2011 Kk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks. I would have thought it would have been an option with the radio. My 2010 has is in the radio. I’ll probably look at dedicated backup camera that I can put in the tray on the top of the dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:54 am 
LOST Newbie

I have installed this unit called my gig lockpick. It’s a module that plush’s in between your factory lcd mygig radio and vehicle wiring. (No splicing to your wiring harness) it has spots for 3-4 video inputs depending on which version model you have, (old/new one) and power supply to feed your cameras. I have one back up, and one under each side view mirror so I don’t need to turn my head when changing lanes, it activates of the turn signal. The unit is about $200. But if you can find a used one on eBay maybe 160. And the cameras were from amazon $20. Took my time and wired up everything in one afternoon.

It also be configured to use one of the camera input to act as an off road/front parking cam and show the front of the vehicle when moving less that 5mph
2012 Liberty 116000mi