It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2012 ATF Leak -- Where do I look for it
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:19 am 
LOST Newbie

I have a 2012 KK. It wouldn't move last night. Have codes P0732, P0733, P0846 which all point to ATF fluid being low. And of course there is a big oil spot on the ground.

There is no transmission dip stick on this model. Is this leak common? Lots of tranny oil pans on Amazon and everywhere else.

How much ATF do these models require, are the after market dip sticks accurate, and is there anything else I should look for?

This Liberty is mostly parked and isn't used a lot. I bought it new and only has 20,000 miles on it.

Please advise.

Post subject: Re: 2012 ATF Leak -- Where do I look for it
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:10 am 
LOST Newbie

waysidecharlie wrote:
I have a 2012 KK. It wouldn't move last night. Have codes P0732, P0733, P0846 which all point to ATF fluid being low. And of course there is a big oil spot on the ground.

There is no transmission dip stick on this model. Is this leak common? Lots of tranny oil pans on Amazon and everywhere else.

How much ATF do these models require, are the after market dip sticks accurate, and is there anything else I should look for?

This Liberty is mostly parked and isn't used a lot. I bought it new and only has 20,000 miles on it.

Please advise.

Transmission pans rot from the inside out. My 2012 had that issue. New dorman pan and about 7 quarts of atf+4 if I recall and was back in business. There has been some talk about dipsticks here but I’ve never bothered. There are ways to check it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:50 am 
LOST Newbie

What are the other ways to check the fluid level?

Since this thing would not move, I made the assumption almost all of the ATF had leaked out. I added one quart at a time and checked to see if it would move after each one. When I got to 6 quarts, it would move forward, but not in reverse.

And after sitting over night, there is no indication of a leak. Its really baffling.

Thanks for any advice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

waysidecharlie wrote:

Since this thing would not move, I made the assumption almost all of the ATF had leaked out. I added one quart at a time and checked to see if it would move after each one. When I got to 6 quarts, it would move forward, but not in reverse.

And after sitting over night, there is no indication of a leak. Its really baffling.

Thanks for any advice.

I got a universal trans dip stick off amazon for cheap. Does the job. My pan is rotted with a leak, was slightly low on the dip reading. Which is prolly right. replacing pan soon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:34 am 
LOST Newbie

Probably too late for the OP but same issue with my 2012 here... I was surprised as hell that a trans pan rusted through, never happened before in my life.

Bought a pan off eBay with the drain plug - First install it leaked around the gasket. Very disappointing - thin metal. Pulled it and checked flatness and corrected the flatness. Second install with more high temp silicon on gasket and vary careful to pull torque evenly...

Also got the universal dipstick which really wasn't too accurate. Added like 6 quarts, had a bit of slipping especially around corners so added a half quart at a time until it was reliable. Maybe an extra 1 1/2 quarts.

Running fine now 15k miles and a year later.

S3Q wrote:
waysidecharlie wrote:

Thanks for any advice.

I got a universal trans dip stick off amazon for cheap. Does the job. My pan is rotted with a leak, was slightly low on the dip reading. Which is prolly right. replacing pan soon