It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 08 KK traction control lights on
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:57 am 
LOST Newbie

I have an 08 Liberty the traction control lights come on when driving most of the time after about 10 minutes. I replaced the front wheel sensors and am about to do the rear sensors. I read things on line that it may be clock spring or steering sensor. Is the steering angle sensor in the circuit before or after the clock spring? Can the steering sensor be adjusted or reset? Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: 08 KK traction control lights on
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:20 am 
LOST Newbie

Also horn does not work but cruise control work some times.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Wow! At first read it sounds like you have a bunch of things going on, and I am not sure that they are all related.

In terms of your traction control lights this may be the result of uneven tire wear between the front, and rear tires. 4X4 systems have never been happy with more tread on one end of the truck, or the other. It just causes wear on drive-train parts. I could see one of these modern computerized systems going nuts for the same reason. So if the front, or rear tires are more worn than their friends at the opposite end of the truck, it may be time for 4 new tires. I have always purchased tires in sets of two, but I just do not think these modern comput-o-mobiles will let us get away with that anymore. So rotate regularly is my new motto. Then buy 4 tires. (ick I hate to drop that much money at once!)

In terms of the horn, and cruise buttons it could be the clock spring controller, (thank your Ralph Nader, and your air bags.) Sometimes it can be just a matter of contact corrosion.

Disconnect the battery, and let the truck sit for 30 minutes to de-energize those worthless airbags. Then pull the steering wheel. On the back of the wheel you should see some little metal contact fingers. Carefully clean them with a pencil eraser, and then clean their mating surface in the column. Use caution to not distort, or deform the fingers in any way.Replace the wheel, and reconnect the battery. This may sort out that horn, and cruise issue for you.

Lando Liberty 2011 Kk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:10 am 
LOST Newbie

I took off the steering wheel and clock spring there was continuity thru the clock spring all 10 conductors. I disassembled the clock spring to get a good look everything was good , put it back together checked continuity all good. I found a wire that was previously damaged and repaired poorly, soldered the connections and taped it up. Put all back together and no lights on yet after driving a couple times. Hopefully it is fixed.
Horn still does not work, can not find the horn relay. I installed a different horn years ago to pass inspection.
Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

The traction control lights still come on occasionally but never throws a code. I carry a temp gun and when the lights go on, I get off the road and check the axles and rotors for excessive heat, haven't found an heat issue yet. The readings are usually within 10 to 20 degrees of each other side to side around 220. The tire pressure light comes on sometimes but when I check the tires there is no problem except for once a few years ago and I plugged that and its good now.
Gary