It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Petrol KK Cherokee Fuel Consumption
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:35 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello All

A mate of mine has recently purchased a 2010 KK Cherokee with 40,000ks on the clock. It’s the 3.7L Petrol, completely stock standard and its drinking (according to the LCD screen) over 19L/100. This is just basic city driving to and from work. Now from what I have read on other posts here, he should be getting closer to 16L/100 as he drives it like a grandma 95% of the time. He knew it wasn’t going to be fantastic consumption (that’s not why we buy Jeeps..) and it’s not a deal breaker for him but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on what to do here…

The standard responses are usually, ‘Don’t be so heavy with the right foot’ etc which isn’t an issue in this case. Next tank he is going to try 98 octane to see if that helps but my experience with the JK, it wont do much. Does anyone have any other tips? I read somewhere there’s a chance (a small one, a very small one) that its programmed incorrectly (something to do with thinking its a diesel?)

Appreciate the help folks!

Post subject: Re: Petrol KK Cherokee Fuel Consumption
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:26 pm 
LOST Addict

19 L/100km is 12.38 miles per gallon (US). This is typical for me to and from work in Philadelphia. I have a 13 mile commute (one way). I can cruise for part of my commute at 35 mph, which helps my average. When I'm in stop and go traffic in the city, I get about 8 mpg (29 L/100km). Keep in mind I'm running 31 inch tires without regearing.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:
19 L/100km is 12.38 miles per gallon (US). This is typical for me to and from work in Philadelphia. I have a 13 mile commute (one way). I can cruise for part of my commute at 35 mph, which helps my average. When I'm in stop and go traffic in the city, I get about 8 mpg (29 L/100km). Keep in mind I'm running 31 inch tires without regearing.

You must live close to me. I too drive to Philly almost every day for work and my single biggest complaint is the fuel mileage I get out of the 3.7. Last winter I got 11.72 miles per gallon which is insane because I always got 15 mpg when I was driving a lifted Tahoe with the 5.3 V8 and metal bumpers and around 17 mpg in my Trailblazer. I have standard size AT tires and the 2 inch OME lift. I have 2 other family members who have KJ's and they get around 12 mpg too. My cousin has a 5.7 Commander and he gets the same Mpg as I do. I love my KK I just don't understand how the Jeep gets such bad fuel mileage.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:40 am 
LOST Addict

I bet if the engineers were able to put a 4.7 in the Liberty it’s mileage would improve because a V8 wouldn’t have to work so hard to haul it down the road. This is particularly true in start-stop situations like we have in the city. The Liberty is a heavy beast of a truck, which makes it great at other things, like offroading without flexing the unibody. I read somewhere the reason the Liberty never had a V8 option was because it left no room for crush zones and reduced its crash-worthiness. It’s still a great truck, and I enjoy driving it. I have managed to gain back about 2 mpg by using a Scangauge which tells me my mpg as I drive, by fine tuning my driving style and choosing my best route as I commute to work. Using Waze has helped me avoid traffic as well, with the side effect of increasing my mileage.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

My 2012 Jeep Liberty gets about the same pathetic fuel mileage as my 2003 Chevrolet Suburban, which is far larger, far heavier and has a V8. Both have 4-speed automatic transmissions and are four-wheel drives. The Liberty is easier to park in city driving but the Suburban wins hands-down for highway driving and comfort.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

The 11-12 mpg people are seeing is because it is not running in overdrive. I get 11-12 mpg when towing and around town. On the highway it usually gets 14-15. A couple of times cruising at a steady 60-70 mph on the interstate I've seen 17 and 18.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Most summer weekend I go to the cabin about 120 miles (give or take 15 or so depending if I leave from work or home). About 25 miles or so is stop and go traffic the rest is 4-lane or freeway. I always get 21+ mpg on the trip. 72-805mph on the 4-ane road. Around town 17-18 mpg. Winter is a killer because of the remote start about 14mpg. I drop about 1-1 1/2 mpg in 4 wheel drive. Sometimes I forget and it may be in 4 wheel drive for a week or more.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

He or She may want to put a few more miles on it as the engine is barely broken in.

I was highly disappointed in the mileage I was getting and considered trading it in until it turned over 35,000 mi (~ 65,000k). From that point on, I have been getting ~ 15 - 16 mpg city & 18 - 24 mpg highway on 87 octane pump gas. And yes, it DOES matter how hard you have your foot into the accelerator so don't discount that advice. I do have the 3.71 gears and 4x4 with full up skid plates and heavy ga steel bumpers so it is at the heavier side of the weight scale.
I too am guilty of occasionally leaving it in 4x4 for more miles than it should have been (but not a week at a time) and the mileage dropped by about 3 mpg City & Highway and shows up rather quickly on the fuel gauge.

Watch the air filter and don't just knock the dust out or vacuum it off occasionally. Change it. 3,000mi for oil changes. Proper oil weight (for your climate), clean oil does make a difference for mileage.

Then there is a possibility that that particular 3.7 is a lemon. :|

Hope this helps...J