It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Headlight Advice
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

It’s time to change headlight bulbs. I was look at going with LED bulbs. I have a couple of questions I can think of.

1. Are there any problems with the reflector housing.
2. Is there flickering of the lights caused by the can bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Headlight Advice
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:56 am 
LOST Newbie

So the wifey wanted better lights in her Libby so I went with the “brightest “ bulb that I was able to find at the parts store. I believe it was a Philips Silver Star but I could be wrong on the Silver Star. Anyway, they cost me $50 for the pair, not bad for an upgraded headlight and more importantly an upgrade in safety if the wife is more at ease driving at night.

I only changed the driver side, parked nose in at the privacy fence and no difference at all, I was pissed!

I took the one back out repacked it and surprisingly was able to return the bulbs even after opening.

This is when I decided to look at the LEDs on Amazon. I was very skeptical having always heard about the flicker, poor light due to them not being engineered for the specific factory reflector and probably the one that concerned me the most was blinding oncoming drivers.

Well I pulled the trigger and for the same $50 went with these:

KATANA H13 9008 LED Headlight Bulbs,CREE Chips 12000Lm 6500K Extremely Bright Conversion Kit,360 Degree Adjustable Beam Angle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078W6QBZ6/re ... lEb95EKAA0

I must say we weren’t disappointed one bit. Easy install, huge increase in usable light, adjustability that’s a breeze and I’m an instant gratification kind of guy so while you may be able to find better out there, Prime is always the way to go for me!

Now I do have to say, these are adjustable via a little ball detent and holes, so you turn the light in the housing and the ball detent slip into the holes that are positioned at maybe 10 degree increments. Now I don’t know how long the ball detents will last but I marked the position where I need them and I’ll epoxy them in place so they don’t turn if need be. But hey that’s a tomorrow problem right?

I really wish I would have gotten a side by side pic of the old versus the new but it was snowing like phukall and I just didn’t think about it at the time.

Anyway, I’m sure I’m too lates with this to help @teller34 cause it looks like you asked this three weeks ago, but I hope it helps someone else.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:16 am 
LOST Newbie

Not too late. Haven’t gotten any responses to the question yet. I’m one of those research to the hilt before I buy person. Did you have to get an anti flicker device for yours?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have Hakari LEDs in my 2012 No flicker and they are much brighter then regular bulbs. -- I tried a couple of other brands and none of them were worth a crap.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Couldn’t find the ones I ordered but they work good. I had to get an anti flicker device (basically a capacitor). I looked and got ones that are reflector housing retrofits. I have only been flashed once and I think that was from the fog lights being on. I’ll have to go through my amazon list to find them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have 2012 KK. I've tried a few different LEDS. the only ones that worked with no flicker and are really bright are the Hikari LEDs.