It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transmission slipping at higher altitude
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:02 am 
LOST Newbie

I have a 2010 liberty trail edition, while driving up to the mountains my transmission started slipping, I would have to run my rpm's way up to get it to shift, had to turn around and go back to the Denver area and the issue went away, checked the fluids and they were fine, any help please.

Post subject: Re: Transmission slipping at higher altitude
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

gschulz73 wrote:
I have a 2010 liberty trail edition, while driving up to the mountains my transmission started slipping, I would have to run my rpm's way up to get it to shift, had to turn around and go back to the Denver area and the issue went away, checked the fluids and they were fine, any help please.

The fluid might have been overheating and thinning out. Just not to the point of the transmission high temp alarm and codes. Had the same issue going up MT. Washington in New Hampshire.

2012 Liberty Latitude 4x4
MOPAR Skids
ATH Front Recovery System, Roof Rack, Rock Rails, and Rear Bumper with Carrier
JBA 4" Lift
4.56 Yukon, Eaton-E Front Locker
255/75R17 Duratracs on Rubicon Wheels

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Wow, never realized this was a thing with automatic transmissions. I just learned something.

:JEEPIN:

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

First time for me too, that's why I'm looking for help, had one guy say my front pump could be going out

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello,

I am going to add my two cents. I had my '12 Liberty Sport up a not too steep trail last summer, and had my overheat alarm going off when it was not really that tough of a drive. I took my rig in to the dealership to get the tranny fluid changed, since it was not a nice color and my local shop @$#% up my oil change, i decided to pay the dealership. The tech turns out to be an awesome guy who also wheels. He said that the 42RLE transmission can actually hold almost 3/4 a quart more fluid than the tech manual calls for and if you fill it up to the mechanical limits of the trans not the stated volume in the manuals, it will run cooler since there is more fluid. Also he highly recommended and aftermarket trans cooler with a fan. The torque converter is notoriously cheap on these transmissions and is often a problem with high mileage or abuse (Jeep owners). My Liberty has 254/75/16R tires and my tranny fluid only stays red for about a few months. I am confident that it needs a gear change (stock 3.73 gears) to relieve some of the stress from the tranny, the fluid burns up quick. Or I could be completely insane, who knows.