It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Front Axle Replacement tip
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

I had the passenger side outer CV boot punched by a tree branch a few years ago. When it started clicking, I took the joint apart cleaned and greased it and put a new boot on. The balls were round at that point, but it went a for two years with just clicking.

With winter coming and living in the north I figured it was time to change the axle. Well most places wanted $260 for a mopar rebuilt, or $360 for a new one. I got a used one from a junk yard. Replacing it, pulled the axle out of the differential. It would not separate from the half-shaft like all the videos show.

To get it out as an axle and half-shaft, I ended up pulling the air intake box, and dropping the strut. 4 nuts hold it. No one shows you that in any write up I've seen. I had a helper putting the strut back in, but it was the only way the half-shaft and axle was coming out. It was easy to tap the half-shaft off with a hammer, put the new-used half-shaft on the axle, tapped it in with a hammer and put it back in as an assemble. -- Instructions don't tell you that either.

The strut comes out as an assembly and no spring compressor is needed.