It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer wiring issue need help ASAP
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So it’s been awhile peeps but I have come with desperation... I have a 2011 KK with the factory 7 pin harness and I just axle swapped a camper to electrics brakes and need to add the brake module to control the electric brake but I am having a hard time finding the dang wires I need to tap to make the module run anyone know where I can locate these bad boys under the dash or hood or even I wiring diagram. Having a really hard time finding anything about the factory 7 pin thanks

Post subject: Re: Trailer wiring issue need help ASAP
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:40 pm 

JeepMonkey190 wrote:
So it’s been awhile peeps but I have come with desperation... I have a 2011 KK with the factory 7 pin harness and I just axle swapped a camper to electrics brakes and need to add the brake module to control the electric brake but I am having a hard time finding the dang wires I need to tap to make the module run anyone know where I can locate these bad boys under the dash or hood or even I wiring diagram. Having a really hard time finding anything about the factory 7 pin thanks

Found this but it won't let me open it, maybe you will have better luck.
If you can get it to open, study the wiring diagram and manual, it should tell you where and what wire to connect a brake controller to.

2011 KK Service Repair Manual on cardiagn.com - https://cardiagn.com/2011-jeep-liberty- ... -diagrams/

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:15 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WWDiesel wrote:
JeepMonkey190 wrote:

Found this but it won't let me open it, maybe you will have better luck.
If you can get it to open, study the wiring diagram and manual, it should tell you where and what wire to connect a brake controller to.

2011 KK Service Repair Manual on cardiagn.com - https://cardiagn.com/2011-jeep-liberty- ... -diagrams/

Tried there and when I tried to read it I got booted off and now banned some how

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:44 pm 
LOST Addict

^^^ That site won’t work if you have an ad blocker. You have to allow ads on the site to be able to see the repair manuals.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:47 pm 
LOST Addict

Try this link to the 08 KK manual.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwxaBkrMP1bnQWhSUFlCU0JMejg/view

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:20 pm 

You can purchase DIY repair data for one or more vehicles from AllData.
They are used by many automotive repair shops.

Go here:> https://www.alldata.com/diy/en/diy-repair-information
Quote:
ALLDATAdiy is the nation’s leading provider of factory-direct automotive repair information for DIYers and students who only need information for a vehicle or two.

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:33 pm 
LOST Member

On my '05 KJ the electric brake control wire was coiled up and tucked behind the kick panel on the left side of the driver's footwell. I think it was a white with blue stripe wire.

I needed to run a wire from the power distribution center under the hood to the passenger compartment to a 20amp automatic circuit breaker and on to the brake controller. The white-with-blue-stripe wire came from the factory towing 7 pin socket on the hitch or the towing relay bundle in the rear compartment which I didn't need to mess with. I think the trailer brake controller instructions gave me all the info I needed to wire it up except for the location of the white and blue wire location. That info came from a forum.

Take a look up under the dash. I've heard of some just being tucked up there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:14 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

lfhoward wrote:

Wow that’s a long manual is there an index? Over 9,000 pages geez.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:30 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Factory harness there should be a red wire tied up in the drivers kick panel for the trailer brake connection to the rear plug.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Scar0 wrote:
Factory harness there should be a red wire tied up in the drivers kick panel for the trailer brake connection to the rear plug.

I think the red is constant trailer power and blue is trailer power but it looks like it’s integrated into the jeep, have not been able to find a lose end anywhere, I’m losing my mind because I don’t want to just start cutting wires and hoping it works

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Scar0 wrote:

I think the red is constant trailer power and blue is trailer power but it looks like it’s integrated into the jeep, have not been able to find a lose end anywhere, I’m losing my mind because I don’t want to just start cutting wires and hoping it works

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

FOUND ITS NOT IN THE DASH BUT UNDER THE HOOD. Driver side upper right corner if any else is curious about it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:33 am 
LOST Newbie

Unless someone pulled the wire its not under the hood. Its behind the kick panel. I think it was blue. -- And I don't know what you mean by a brake module. there is none that I know of in the KK. What you need is a brake controller. I use a Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller that has worked well.

the liberty does not have a harness or plug. There are 4 wires to hook up. Pos, and Neg from the battery, one from the brake switch and one sending power to the trailer brakes. That is the wire behind the kick panel.

Some, including Jeep says there is programming in the TCPM for trailer brakes with the factory tow package. Might be true, but I once swapped it out with one from a junk yard, and could not see a difference in trailer brake operation. -- I swapped it because I had the brake lights on all the time, and thought it might be in TCPM (the relay panel under the hood). In the end, I found 3 relays in the factory trailer wiring that are behind the bumper cover on the left rear. One was damaged causing the brake lights to stay on. -- It was a stupid place for jeep to mount them. If you have a short trailer and back up and have the trailer tung contact the bumper it can squeeze the relays.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wayside Charlie wrote:
Unless someone pulled the wire its not under the hood. Its behind the kick panel. I think it was blue. -- And I don't know what you mean by a brake module. there is none that I know of in the KK. What you need is a brake controller. I use a Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller that has worked well.

the liberty does not have a harness or plug. There are 4 wires to hook up. Pos, and Neg from the battery, one from the brake switch and one sending power to the trailer brakes. That is the wire behind the kick panel.

Some, including Jeep says there is programming in the TCPM for trailer brakes with the factory tow package. Might be true, but I once swapped it out with one from a junk yard, and could not see a difference in trailer brake operation. -- I swapped it because I had the brake lights on all the time, and thought it might be in TCPM (the relay panel under the hood). In the end, I found 3 relays in the factory trailer wiring that are behind the bumper cover on the left rear. One was damaged causing the brake lights to stay on. -- It was a stupid place for jeep to mount them. If you have a short trailer and back up and have the trailer tung contact the bumper it can squeeze the relays.

I think I installed the same brake module (brake switch) controller as you says primus iq on top but is a temp aha. And actually the blue wire I was looking for was under the hood not in the cab behind the dash.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

On my 2012 Liberty the wire was not behind the dash. It was behind the kick panel under the dash on the left. It just pulls off.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well folks, I am in the same situation. 2011 Jeep Liby Sport with pristine factory 7-pin wiring etc integrated into the wiring harness (NOT an add-on MOPAR harness or an aftermarket harness).

The RED wire can be seen at the rear of the 7-pin connector beside the receiver.

There are zero extra wires to be found under the hood.

As for the left kickwell and under the driver side dash - I cannot find a thing - after days of looking (inside my heated garage). And this is where my OEM wiring diagram says the red wire should be (left of my foot, and RED)

My wiring diagram shows the red wire terminating at a dead-end "splice S326".

A test on the ebrake pin on the 7-way shows open-circuit. So its unconnected as expected.

I just ordered a $20 signal tracer from Amazon to help me find the wire.

Since the Libby has a CANBUS system I do not want to go probing wires with a pointy test probe.

I even drove the Libby over to my trailer repair guy (I have used hm for welding three times on my camper) , and his "answer" about how it needed to be wired up was way off base.

I will keep y'all posted.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

SIDE NOTE:

IF you have a Jeep with a tow package installed by the dealer, i.e., NOT back at the ford plant, then you have the same MOPAR wiring harness that I have in my (older) 2008 Jeep, and your blue wire emerges under the hood after travelling under the car.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

kiwi_outdoors wrote:
Well folks, I am in the same situation. 2011 Jeep Liby Sport with pristine factory 7-pin wiring etc integrated into the wiring harness (NOT an add-on MOPAR harness or an aftermarket harness).

The RED wire can be seen at the rear of the 7-pin connector beside the receiver.

There are zero extra wires to be found under the hood.

As for the left kickwell and under the driver side dash - I cannot find a thing - after days of looking (inside my heated garage). And this is where my OEM wiring diagram says the red wire should be (left of my foot, and RED)

My wiring diagram shows the red wire terminating at a dead-end "splice S326".

A test on the ebrake pin on the 7-way shows open-circuit. So its unconnected as expected.

I just ordered a $20 signal tracer from Amazon to help me find the wire.

Since the Libby has a CANBUS system I do not want to go probing wires with a pointy test probe.

I even drove the Libby over to my trailer repair guy (I have used hm for welding three times on my camper) , and his "answer" about how it needed to be wired up was way off base.

I will keep y'all posted.

It is not red it is blue and when I found mine it almost looked blue green because it was dirty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:41 am 
LOST Newbie

Got my cheapo circuit tracer, clipped it to deenergized plus 12v and found that harness location under drivers floor mat. This was my base test on a known good conductor in the car.

Switched to trailer brake wire and signal was too weak to positively locate anything.

In both cases signal was good on my 7 pin test pigtail.

More investigation is needed.

Post subject: Re: Trailer wiring issue looking for REd (Blue) wire
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Update for Jeep Liberty wiring loom and searching for the red wire.

Cheapie tracer continuity tester confirmed that the RED wire, visible at the 7-pin connector, is active thru the 7-pin receptacle, by sticking a probe into the red wire leading into the receptacle and clipping it to the blue wire on the after-market 7-pin plug's pigtail.

I have ordered a Klein Tools signal tracer for $80 - its less than an hour of a mechanics time.

So I got impatient, and this time clipped my signal tracer source directly to the pins inside the 7-pin receptacle (not to the test plug pigtail wires) - this gave a stronger signal. I was able to detect the red-wire signal for sure on the left rear floor adjacent to the door sill at the rear seat location. Signal is too faint in front seat floor area for any definitive work