It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Trailer wiring issue looking for REd (Blue) wire
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

kiwi_outdoors wrote:
Update for Jeep Liberty wiring loom and searching for the red wire.

Cheapie tracer continuity tester confirmed that the RED wire, visible at the 7-pin connector, is active thru the 7-pin receptacle, by sticking a probe into the red wire leading into the receptacle and clipping it to the blue wire on the after-market 7-pin plug's pigtail.

I have ordered a Klein Tools signal tracer for $80 - its less than an hour of a mechanics time.

So I got impatient, and this time clipped my signal tracer source directly to the pins inside the 7-pin receptacle (not to the test plug pigtail wires) - this gave a stronger signal. I was able to detect the red-wire signal for sure on the left rear floor adjacent to the door sill at the rear seat location. Signal is too faint in front seat floor area for any definitive work

Use the tester receiver end part in the engine compartment between the fuses and the firewall

Post subject: Re: Trailer wiring issue looking for REd (Blue) wire
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

JeepMonkey190 wrote:
kiwi_outdoors wrote:
Update for Jeep Liberty wiring loom and searching for the red wire.

Cheapie tracer continuity tester confirmed that the RED wire, visible at the 7-pin connector, is active thru the 7-pin receptacle, by sticking a probe into the red wire leading into the receptacle and clipping it to the blue wire on the after-market 7-pin plug's pigtail.

I have ordered a Klein Tools signal tracer for $80 - its less than an hour of a mechanics time.

So I got impatient, and this time clipped my signal tracer source directly to the pins inside the 7-pin receptacle (not to the test plug pigtail wires) - this gave a stronger signal. I was able to detect the red-wire signal for sure on the left rear floor adjacent to the door sill at the rear seat location. Signal is too faint in front seat floor area for any definitive work

Use the tester receiver end part in the engine compartment between the fuses and the firewall
<< I tried this with El Cheapo tester, after disconnecting the battery to quietion things down, and found nothing. And I will repeat it with the new tester, if the red wire remains elusive inside the passenger compartment.

The tester arrives late Saturday this week.

Post subject: Re: Trailer wiring issue need help ASAP
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Saturday Afternoon Update:

the Klein tester arrived - and gives a strong signal at the base of the driver's side door pillar between the front and rear seats. So the red wire is likely turned back and taped off behind that plastic "fascia" or whatever it is called.

So - carefully removing that plastic panel is next on my todo list.

First - I will consult the annoying CD-Rom manual on my Win10 laptop (the program needs the old Explorere browser and will not run on Win 11-Edge) on how to remove the panel

If that fails I will consult Youtube.

Or both.

Just for S&G I tested a bucn of other locations, in the cabin and under the hood - nothing.

Post subject: chasing ther red ebrake wire
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

Re: The ebrake red wire that sings when I put a tracer signal on it at the 7-pin socket - I checked this wire for simple eelctrical continuity from the driver's floor mat location to the 7-pin receptacle under the bumper - and got a positive result. So thats great. I have the correct wire in my sights (and grip).

So I now have a location (red wire) that I can tap into.

However, out of stubborness and curiosity, I will search some more for the termination of the wire, and a more accessible location to tap into the wire with a press-on connector.

Post subject: chasing the singing red wire.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

So I went further along (forward) the red wire - it does seem to be passing thru the firewall, inside the main bundle that heads to the Totally Integrated Power Module ("TIPM").

Now - it so happens that I will be installing a full lift kit on this Jeep Liberty - new loaded struts etc - which means that the TIPM has to be temporarily moved out of position - this will give me an oppurtunity to look for the red singing wire dead-ended unde the base of the TIPM (without any extra effort :-) ).

Post subject: Found the RED wire.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Finally, I found the red wire after doing more Google searching and going back under left side dash-firewall area - red wire was folded up behind a large multi-pin connector - as if they wanted to deliberately hide it.

Part of the key to finding it was to NOT use my flashlight and headlamp, and use only the light built into the signal tracer probe, and probe from a high approach angle, hard to the left.

Note - its red, NOT blue. As per the OEM wiring diagram.

IMO its only a blue wire if a dealer installed a tow wiring harness after a Jeep left the factory floor (as I did with the MOPAR harness on my 2008 Jeep Liberty)

BTW - evidently I cannot read - I looked - again - at the OEM manual showing the red wire location - and its depicted as leaving thewiring harness immediately before the harness goes thru the firewall - right where I found it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:02 am 
LOST Newbie

there are no wires, no connector, under the hood or under the dash for the Liberty. On mine I ran power and ground from the battery, one wire tapped into the brake switch and one behind the kick panel next to the driver. That wire feeds power from the controller you install to the 7 pin connector.

I don't remember the color of the wire, but I'll look for notes. there are some other messages here about setting it up from a few years back.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:40 am 
LOST Newbie

Wayside Charlie wrote:
there are no wires, no connector, under the hood or under the dash for the Liberty. On mine I ran power and ground from the battery, one wire tapped into the brake switch and one behind the kick panel next to the driver. That wire feeds power from the controller you install to the 7 pin connector.

I don't remember the color of the wire, but I'll look for notes. there are some other messages here about setting it up from a few years back.

That would be true for a Libby with no OEM tow wiring (FACTORY installed), such as my older Libby, the 2008 model..