It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: runs rich
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:28 am 
LOST Newbie

Is there a way to get my KK 3.7 to run a little leaner? Used to adjust carburators [ ya I know I'm an old guy ] till I got a light gray deposit in the exhaust pipe. The KK seems to always run black, that has got to be leaving deposits in the combustion chamber. Is there a way to lean it out?
thanks Gary

Post subject: Re: runs rich
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:34 pm 

yellkayak wrote:
Is there a way to get my KK 3.7 to run a little leaner? Used to adjust carburators [ ya I know I'm an old guy ] till I got a light gray deposit in the exhaust pipe. The KK seems to always run black, that has got to be leaving deposits in the combustion chamber. Is there a way to lean it out?
thanks Gary

To a great extent, the gray you used to see in the tailpipe was due to the lead in the gas. With the advent of the no lead fuels that the EPA forced on us, the tailpipe always looks black in color.

In modern computer controlled engines, the exact mixture (air to fuel ratio) is controlled by the PCM using feedback information from several different sensors such as coolant temperature, MAF, MAP, and before and after CAT Oxygen sensors.
If you suspect your engine is running to rich, you should have it scanned to see what the O2 sensors are reading and the very important Fuel Trim readings are doing.
A single bad sensor can really skew the feedback information into the PCM and cause improper air fuel mixture issues.
:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount