It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2011 Jeep Cherokee KK Diesel Engine Issue
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi All,

I am having some issue with my 2011 Jeep Cherokee KK CRD 2.8L Diesel - 250,000km (Australia) which I am having some limited luck with. Thought I would reach out to this community as it is full of great information for what seems to be limited on these cars!

Issue:
Driving back home and I hear this terrible rattle noise for about a km or so until I can pull up into a service station, where it began to both rattle and whine a fair bit. Turned off the vehicle and the whining noise was still going! Popped the hood and took the video below. It sounded like a solenoid or even a pump was stuck ON and I could smell some electrics, immediately disconnected the battery. Walked down to the mechanic, who wanted to have a look. Wired the battery and the whine stopped but the rattle remained.

The mechanic has a look, disconnected the EGR harness and the engine seemed to have stabilised, enough he advised me it was safe to get home (~50km) from western Sydney to East. While driving engine seems fine with less power evident, cant hear or feel anything but with the windows open you can hear the same rattle when cars pull up beside. I have since removed the EGR, (PITA), hoping to see that it was built up with soot...to my surprise it was fairly clean. I cleaned the accessible areas of the intake, while I was in there, just because...Please note that I took this to my local mechanic and the scan concluded that no EGR codes have been found.

It sounds like the noise is coming from the lower left hand side of the engine, my fear is that this is associated with the timing belt. I was told it was replaced when I purchased the vehicle (180km) and it now has 250km. I removed the top couple bolts of the timing case and could make out "gates" on the belt so know this is true, just don't know when it was done and what components. The accessory belt and pulleys seem to be fine, I have replaced the tensioner within 50k.

I have been advised this could be a bit of valve clatter but the issue does come and go when idling. It is more likely not present when idling. I imagine it this was a valve issue then the noise would be evident during any combustion situation and would not come and go. It appears to be running great, until driving and putting some load on the vehicle. I have a steep driveway and even crawling up the laneway it has a rattle/clunk to it with no constant pattern. I have coasted down the driveway in neutral (engine off) and no noise is evident to ensure it is engine related.

I am thinking this might be related to the timing belt tensioner/pulley or even the water pump?

Side note: Starter is having issues now - solenoid is triggering about 5-10 times for a second then nothing. Every 3 or 4 ignitions this happens..have to turn off then try again to cycle this start and it will work...leads me to believe the initial issue experience could be related to the starter.

Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Tim

Post subject: Re: 2011 Jeep Cherokee KK Diesel Engine Issue
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

only just got mine .. but i've been fixing engines for many years .... I'd say it sounds like an engine mount/ or a transmission mount , but i may be wrong ... does it get worse when you rev it ?

https://civilizationsend.com/

'95 XJ upcountry RHD - just sold

'11 Jeep Cherokee (Liberty) CRD Limited
old man emu spring lift

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

It was a strange one for sure. The mechanic wanted to take the upper intake apart for a deep clean and also look at the valve/rockers.

Made the decision to start with the basics and replace the timing belt, tensioner pulley and water pump while I had it services. Turns out the timing belt tensioner failed and it was not holding the proper tension on the belt. Dodged a bullet that it never lost timing or broke entirely.

Doesn't explain the jammed oil cooler in the video but that has not happened again.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 5:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

good stuff .. i am about to service mine have you ever done the oil filter?
yours looks the same as mine ;-)
I assume its just on the left front and its the insert type ?

old man emu spring lift

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 5:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yeah I have - just get it serviced as it is a bit tight and I do not have a large garage! If you have a bash plate, you might have to remove it if you cannot raise the car enough.

I believe it is slightly to the left about 500mm from the front - standard oil filter that threads on.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 6:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

turned out mine has the cartridge filters, and in fact its the same engine as the wrangler CDR 2.8 diesel ... the fuel system is grand cherokee 3L

number 27 mm socket to take both the fuel and oil filters off... and 8mm hex (maybe Torx) for the oil pan plug...

easy as pie .. took me under an hour and the hole in the bash plate lines up perfectly with the oil pan plug ....

old man emu spring lift

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:49 am 
LOST Member

xizero wrote:
turned out mine has the cartridge filters, and in fact its the same engine as the wrangler CDR 2.8 diesel ... the fuel system is grand cherokee 3L

number 27 mm socket to take both the fuel and oil filters off... and 8mm hex (maybe Torx) for the oil pan plug...

easy as pie .. took me under an hour and the hole in the bash plate lines up perfectly with the oil pan plug ....

Great to hear you figured it out! My friend's new KK project got this intermittent engine noise. The previous owner gave up and sell it. It's pretty neat with new tires from 4Wheelonline, and they are close friends so he grabs it. The filters will be on top of the list to check.