It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New KK owner build/fix
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello, new member here! My oldest just picked up a 2010 KK renegade and I'm helping him with some repairs and upgrades. I have a short list of ideas/findings and figured I'd consolidate into a single thread for discussion & sharing.

Here's a couple pics of the ride to start it off:

Summary of issues:
- PO420 code w/ strong exhaust smell
- Possible timing cover leak
- Possible A/C Condensor/Trans Cooler leak
- Rusted fuel tank skid plate
- Lower switchbank not working *fixed*

The primary issue right now is the PO420 code and possible timing cover leak (likely contributing to the cat inefficiency/failure). The leak appears to be very small so I am going to try BlueDevil stop leak as a first measure. But do believe I need to replace the cat/s. The entire exhaust system is pretty rusted so I was thinking about ripping it all out and replacing new with stainless steel.

Question 1: Are there any manufacturers that make a complete stainless exhaust system for these vehicles? From headers all the way back. And if not one, which combination would you recommend? Walker cats, gibson catback?

Issue/Question 2: My understanding is the A/C condenser and trans cooler are a single unit on these vehicles, but I may be confused. I've read through the discussions about in-radiator cooling, bypasses, and trans cooler upgrades. But mainly want to know if there is a single unit that folks recommend for a quick and easy replacement?

Issue/Question 3: As for the rusted fuel skid plate, I've noted this to be a very common issue and in another thread there was an aluminum plate offered by asfir (company in israel). I may just pull the trigger on that, but wanted to know if anyone has had success getting custom skids made for their KK? Or even modifying one made for a JK or similar?

Pics below show the rusted fuel skid, while other skids are perfectly fine:

For the lower switch bank I fixed that before making this post, but just wanted to include it for others experiencing the same issue. This was resolved simply by pulling the trim off and inspecting the pigtail connectors. I had read a thread where two connectors were plugged into the A/C control bank (right above the lower bank), and only one is supposed to be there. This was the issue in mine, and simply moving the connector to the lower switch bank resolved the issue. Took about 5 minutes.

Other than that, I installed black riveted door handle inserts and vinyl wrapped the roof rails in matte black just to clean up the look a bit. I also ordered custom seat covers from Iggee in two tone (black/grey) and those are being made now for $370 shipped. Will make a separate thread once those arrive and are installed. But I think getting all this fixed/installed should set the vehicle up nicely for some time. Feel free to respond to any of the questions, and share any other ideas a new owner should consider.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: New KK owner build/fix
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Any thoughts? There’s a lot in this thread, gotta be at least one thing that interests you all enough to respond. :lol:

Post subject: Re: New KK owner build/fix
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Ragnarock wrote:
Any thoughts? There’s a lot in this thread, gotta be at least one thing that interests you all enough to respond. :lol:

I have a response to the skid plate issue, because I’m going through that too. Seems the gas tank skid prematurely rots out. I have not found a replacement in good shape, either online or at any junkyard in my region. They all have the same rust problem.

Here is my solution, posted over on JeepKJ.
https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/kk-gas-tank-skid-plate-rot-a-solution.78065/

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997